Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here when you buy a new game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

Whatever you do ,DO NOT ever look at boardgames on kicktraq hotlist or on kickstarter ,as this will lead to a life of poverty and boardgames taking over your home.:(

I'm always tempted to cross that line.... therefore I'll get to sleep by putting some pillows over them and dream about meeples... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Picked up Destination X over at the UK Games Expo.

One player is a spy hiding in one of the 6/7 country cards on the board. The other players ask a question from one of the four dealt out (could be capital, GDP, land size, religion, and other facts like that). The spy consults the guide book they have and provides answer (capital and currency are usually just the first letter).

Then the players eliminate a country (or they can guess if a spy is somewhere). They have to find the spy three times (new country cards dealt each round) before their stack of question cards runs out - so they may just guess to refresh the country cards lineup or may have to make a snappier decision as the deck thins.

Educational and fun. A bit like the old Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago video game. Spy doesn't have to know it all (the book does all the work), so less stressful than most spy games, while the investigators can talk out their options and deduce certain things.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

King of Tokyo on the way, looks a lot of fun.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

KoT is a fun game, but it's better with the power up expansion so I'd recommend getting that too. Actually means there's a difference between the monsters.

Picked up Inis, Kemet and Concordia a while ago. All great games.

Just recently got Twilight Imperium 4, so looking forward to setting aside a day and trying that one out.

Also just ordered Decrypto which looks decent, another thinky kind of party game.

Review here for anyone interested https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-decrypto/

King of Tokyo on the way, looks a lot of fun.
    I'd agree, KoT is a really fun and good game. Only drawback is that when you're out, you'll have to go and do stuff.
    Thought about doing some house rules on that issue as a workaround.

Let's see, got Fungi and Pandemic base game (finally!) last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Sry :( .Wrong tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I cant remember if we have a sale thread or not,
    But I ordered Stars Wars Risk Black Series at £12.99
    https://www.bargainmax.co.uk/star-wars-risk-the-black-series-game.html

and Magic The Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkers which is only £8.99 to get over the free delivery.
    https://www.bargainmax.co.uk/magic-the-gathering-game.html

Could have got £1.30 off Star Wars with the code 10offsale but I forgot to put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

osh wrote: »
    Also just ordered Decrypto which looks decent, another thinky kind of party game.

Review here for anyone interested https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/review-decrypto/

Coming after Codewords this sounds like the perfect kind of game for you! It sounds like a hilarious game.

I'll be picking this up definitely. My family need something new to argue about at christmas and codenames went down a storm last year.

More on sale today for £21 and free uk delivery I got Apotheca & Snow Tails
    https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/board-games/apotheca-the-secret-potion-society-board-game/868377000012
    https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/board-games/snow-tails-game/859930005087
    You have to use the code TRIPLE

Ive no idea what that site is like though, first time using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ordered Snow tails after seeing above, thanks NomadicGray. Saboteur (Chinese knock off unfortunately) arrived before the weekend, haven't got to play it yet though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Ordered this today. :)
    81UyekWSSGL._SX569_.jpg

Recently got a copy of council of four and so far have enjoyed a couple of plays .

51CKARZvb0L._SX450_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Anyone playing Starfinder? Getting steadily through the first book in the Dead Suns AP and it's class.

First ever boardgame purchase was a cheap copy of Stone Age yesterday to see if my girlfriend and I could get into it.

Played our first game last night and it was a lot of fun. Took around two hours and I won by a few points.

We've also ordered Patchwork and should get that later this week. I watched a lot on YouTube about boardgames recently and have my eye on 7 Wonders Duel and Century Eastern Promises eventually.

7 Wonders Duel is a great 2 player game. As is Jaipur and Settlers of Catan.

Let us know how Patchwork goes, seen it on a few 2 player lists but I'm still not sure whether I'd like it or not.

First ever boardgame purchase was a cheap copy of Stone Age yesterday to see if my girlfriend and I could get into it.....

Mind if I ask where you got a cheap copy of Stone Age? I'm a bit interested to get a copy for me too.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    7 Wonders Duel is a great 2 player game. As is Jaipur and Settlers of Catan.

Let us know how Patchwork goes, seen it on a few 2 player lists but I'm still not sure whether I'd like it or not.
    Same feeling on Patchwork. All games for two from Uwe Rosenberg seem to be veeeeeery popular. Cottage Garden, Patchwork, Patchwork Express (what's with that variant?, Patchwork it's supposed to be a simple game).

7W Duels is great, the expansion makes it even better!
    I can add these two suggestions as 2p games: Fungi (Morels) and Lost Cities. Also tried Santorini, which is a bit abstract logic, but it's very fun! (2 and + players)

We are having tons of fun with those. I was thinking about creating a blog with reviews on 2 player games or... games that can be enjoyed with 2 players (even if it's for more than 2)

chonix wrote: »
    I was thinking about creating a blog with reviews on 2 player games or... games that can be enjoyed with 2 players (even if it's for more than 2)

Would love this. It's always a struggle to find good 2 player games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Picked up Apotheca during the summer and its been a great little 2 player game for us.
    https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/board-games/apotheca-the-secret-potion-society-board-game/868377000012

Thanks for the link to that shop.

4 Gods is about £20+ cheaper than on amazon.

Free delivery is a plus as well.

Android Mainframe Board Game is very tempting as well.

Better pay in £ than €

Yeah its not a bad one for some bargains, I picked up a few games already.

• Advertisement

Mind if I ask where you got a cheap copy of Stone Age? I'm a bit interested to get a copy for me too.

I'm in Vietnam, so while choice is limited, a lot of that choice is also cheap Chinese versions.

There are some Western versions but they're expensive so that's why I'm trying Patchwork and Stone Age first to gauge interest with gf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

pirates-of-nassau-boardgame-8316-p.jpeg?v=1397474084
    I got Pirates of Nassau in Warlord Games clearance sale for £5. Normal price is £39.95. It's a hefty enough box with a fair few bits and pieces. Haven't got round to reading the rules yet.

Space Empires 4x & Shadows Of Brimstone ordered this week. Had been putting Shadows off for a long time, hope to get the models made and painted then have it to play over the winter.
    Will probably be mostly solo play on both, but maybe I can convince someone for the odd game of SoB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Picked up Welcome to Your Perfect Home and The Networks (seeing as the Executives exp arrived from KS, may as well get the core set :D )
    Space Empires 4x & Shadows Of Brimstone ordered this week. Had been putting Shadows off for a long time, hope to get the models made and painted then have it to play over the winter.
    Will probably be mostly solo play on both, but maybe I can convince someone for the odd game of SoB.

Its a great game, have the 2 original core sets myself. If you do ever get others to play, setup night before (shuffle cards, have tiles set out and miniatures divided up) as there is a lot to get ready. Maybe get an organiser for all the tokens/card box for all the decks to speed up setup/tear down, also possibly print out character sheets as there is a lot of changing max health/sanity values/recording of xp & gold (no tokens in the game for these two) that will get cumbersome with scraps of paper alongside the pre-printed character cards.

The theme (cowboys & Cthullu) is different enough that some might try it. It is kind of an RPG-lite, so do warn people it can take a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I got Scythe and Azul from my Secret Santa, looking forward to sitting down and reading all the rules of scythe over a weekend or two, seems very dense.

I've got Concordia as a self present over Xmas since it was about 15 GBP some time ago. Also tried Fog Of Love, which I've got some months ago, but was just not getting enough love (bad pun) to make it to the table. It's a nice game :).

Santa was good to me this year....:D

pic4308140.jpg

pic3686972.png

I've got Concordia as a self present over Xmas since it was about 15 GBP some time ago. Also tried Fog Of Love, which I've got some months ago, but was just not getting enough love (bad pun) to make it to the table. It's a nice game :).

Concordia is a top notch game .One that I never turn down a game of.
    If you like it, the Salsa expansion it worth getting .

CatInABox wrote: »
    I got Scythe and Azul from my Secret Santa, looking forward to sitting down and reading all the rules of scythe over a weekend or two, seems very dense.

Azul looks great and I have a copy I hope to play soon.
    Scythe is highly rated and has some nice looking expansions.
    Its played a lot in my gaming group and I am one of the few who does'nt like it :( .
    I have been told that the newest expansion The Rise of Fenris might change my mind.So hopefully I will get a chance to try it out.

• Advertisement

This also arrived from kickstarter ,although our first game was over before we expected. :(

pic4009722.png

Advertisement