Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here when you buy a new game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

You'll be back...

God Damn it!. I was so close.:(
    Just when I think I'm out . I get pulled back in.:D

I forgot about............Xia: Legends of a Drift System

pic1681071_md.jpg

I ordered this on Kickstarter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Right... no... more...

The voices in the walls made me buy this...
    f6lk.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hanabi won the Spiel des Jahres Award a few weeks ago, managed to get my grubby mits on the english version. Was hoping it would arrive in the post this weekend but unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just got Pirates vs Dinosaurs, the first game I backed on Kickstarter. Very decent production values, looks like good fun for when you don't want to spend hours min-maxing and the like :)

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That looks right down my alley, and like it could be a good bit of light fun! Let us know how your first play through goes, won't you?

• Advertisement

That looks right down my alley, and like it could be a good bit of light fun! Let us know how your first play through goes, won't you?

Will do, might get a 2 player game in over the next night or two, then a four player weekend after next.

Rev Hellfire let me know what Cthulhu Fluxx is like when you get a game.
    Well I've played this a few times over the past week or so with two groups and in both cases it went down well. One group aren't big gamers while the other group are, both enjoyed it due to its simple and quick playing style.

As you'd expect from a game where the rules are constantly changing there's a large element of luck in the game. Though some planning is possible it quickly comes unstuck unless you can close the game on your turn.

The few games we've had have finished under the hour mark, but have been slightly over the half hour. That said one of them ended pretty quick in about 15 minutes once. We play a game a once a week or so in the pub over lunch and this has worked well for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Got Super Munchkin and Citadels recently (including the Dark City expansion). While SJ games are always a laugh, I found I didn't like Super Munchkin as much as regular Munchkin. Citadels on the other hand is a very good and challenging game. Dark City expansion does potentially unbalance it a little bit though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Got descent 2nd edition from amazon earlier today.Just had a quick game...was very enjoyable:D

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention, picked up Last Night on Earth at the weekend, looking forward to giving it a try!

Had a 'learning' 2 player game which (it being about 11 at night) took a bit longer to pick up then expected, mainly because the cards can have a bit of text to plow through, and most have two different functions as well, so that took a while to catch on.

Game itself was perfectly enjoyable, good components, it's a luck fest mind you, expect no deep strategy and you won't be disappointed. Mainly it's a race to find the landmarks you need, while playing good cards on yourself to hurry things up, and bad cards on others to slow them down.

Once you get to the dig site you're on to a 'push your luck' mini game, drawing tiles from a bag hoping for treasure and to avoid ghosts, volcanoes etc.

We played two more games on Sunday, with my brother in law and his wife, it probably runs a little long for what it is i.e. I would expect at least a half hour per player and maybe a bit more if you have anyone who likes to try and optimise things.

All in all, entertaining if you are in the mood for some general fun, but for serious thinking I'll stick to Twilight Struggle and the likes :)

I said to the wife earlier.
    "This may have arrived today in the post ,from where I have no idea.":confused::eek:
    I must have won it!.:D

pic684425_md.jpg

Roll on the weekend ,beer and battle.:D

No more boardgames ever!.

I was weak... but in my defence who doesn't want to flick dice around.

9rh4.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got my first play of Munchkin on Saturday.

W-A-N-T

I haven't played regular munchkin, but Munchkin Axe Cop is crazy fun, as it is both crazy, and fun. And you can be incredibly evil sometimes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

I was weak... but in my defence who doesn't want to flick dice around.

9rh4.jpg

!!! ordered same 2 days ago! ;)

Its a great wee game, though prepare to get your grump on over the packaging.
    The mats are folded in box and don't sit right on the table because of it.

I've a stack of books on my mats at the moment to take the crease out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

Its a great wee game, though prepare to get your grump on over the packaging.
    The mats are folded in box and don't sit right on the table because of it.

I've a stack of books on my mats at the moment to take the crease out.

just got the game today and it's great fun (I am currently holding Champion belt after defeating my son 5-2 ;) )
    same problem with mats and I have put them under stack of other game boxes. Designer advising to use steam iron on them and I will probably ask my wife to do it. (http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1018365/the-quest-for-the-flat-battlefield)
    Other thing is email received from Gamewright by one of BGG user:
    "Thank you for your email and interest in our Cube Quest game. We are aware of the issue and we are currently working on a solution to the problem. We expect a positive resolution within a month or so. We will email you at that time to advise you on how you may find the "new and improved" version."
    http://boardgamegeek.com/article/13244379#13244379

Yeah I had followed the boardgamegeek threads on the topic of the components.

Best thing I did was get a bit of black tape (not overly adhesive) and use it to join the two mats together. This removes the ridges on the seams between them. Since I'm storing the mats separatel to box its not an issue for me.

I'm also considering getting a large folder like the type used to store paintings for it and one or two other boards I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭gambitthefirst

I'm new to board gameing but after finishing the books i decided to get the game of thrones board game. had 2 games last weekend and i really enjoyed it. alot of strategy and tactics when you get into the flow of the game. I would reccomend this game, but i do love the theme feel of the game.

I then decided to get zpocalypse, which I'm going to play over the weekend. if anyones interested I'll let you what its like.

pic1115193_md.jpg

Picked this up for €25 ,so couldn't pass it up.

Also picked this up :o
    pic551675.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

Bought Pandemic three weeks ago so I could play it solitaire. Wife isn't into gaming as she is a table flipper.
    Love it and the brother and his son(21) play it too.
    And a guy in work likes it and as it only takes about 45 mins we can play during lunch break.

Have Eclipse as well but can't organise games due to it taking about 2 hours for a 2 man game.

I went low tech for storage with the setup and used elastic bands for the ship parts and made my own cube trays with plastic holed card for sewing from a hobby shop. It now takes four minutes to setup rather than 10.
    Really love the game and the expansion Return of the Ancients is a must as it just adds so much to the

In the rule book they say “expect to die” and they aren’t lying. Death is easy to come by even when you think you’re in a secure place. Taking on a horde of zombies single handedly isn’t something you want to do. With the zombies becoming harder to fight off and coming in bigger numbers as the nights go on the challenge to survive only gets harder. Even with the ability to upgrade your weapons and stats you don’t feel like a one man army in the later nights. Combat is easy to grasp, but the unpredictability of the dice adds an uncertainty that adds to the theme. Trying to manage your supplies and squad for the next day can be a struggle and I often found myself scavenging for food and ammo just to get through the night. i really enjoyed this game and cant wait to get the group together to play agian. I tried to play solo survival but the zombies mashed me up pretty good on the first night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Any suggestions where to buy in Dublin? Got some time off this month and wouldn't mind getting a few

Gamer's World hands down.

There is boardgamer.ie aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

Gamers world if you want to try the games before you buy it by possibly organising a game there with someone who has it or boardgamer.ie if you want the game a few yoyo cheaper. If you Iive in dub you can collect it from their office.

Lets not forgt the likes of amazon, typically cheaper than the b&m stores.
    Though you have a wait of a few days to deal with, not a major deal breaker for me but something to factor in.

• Advertisement

Got Chaos Marauders in a great bargain at Knavecon yesterday. Yet to try it out, but I've heard good things.

Advertisement