Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Lantern Things

• 09-09-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know a place in town that sell these Chinese Lantern yolks? You light them and they float away. I was told that the garages where selling them but they seem to have stopped.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

ziedth wrote: »
    Hi all,

Anyone know a place in town that sell these Chinese Lantern yolks? You light them and they float away. I was told that the garages where selling them but they seem to have stopped.

Cheers.

Save you're money, the ones I've used were crap. Any wind and they're hard to light and get in the air. We did some at the bro's wedding and most ended up on fire on the ground! A minority flew away, then into a tree and burst into flames.

Actually that was quite fun now that I think about it. So I change my mind. Buy them!

I don't know where you get them though, sorry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd imagine the cheap one are awful. I really only need a couple so paying over the odds fir a decent one wouldn't bother me.

Although the idea of setting off a load of them and watch them attack the local village like a WWII blitz sounds the shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'd imagine the cheap one are awful. I really only need a couple so paying over the odds fir a decent one wouldn't bother me.

Although the idea of setting off a load of them and watch them attack the local village like a WWII blitz sounds the shít.

We should do it in Duncannon and recreate Saving Private Ryan!

All I know is that the cheap ones we had were folded up when packaged. Getting them to keep their shape when unfolded was very difficult. I think that made getting them airborne very difficult.

Have you tried online at some of the party websites? Or do you need them quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Funk it possibly or one of the euro shops. Would be worth getting one to see how it goes before the required time. Then if its suitable buy some more where ever you get the first one from

Kinda them before tomorrow night unfortunately. A better man than I would have looked online alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Seeing as you have a SAR helicopter based in Waterford and a long coastline, please call the Coastguard before you set them off as per their request

http://www.afloat.ie/safety/coastguard/item/14915-coast-guard-appeals-over-chinese-lanterns/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Try Partyworld out in Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Kinda them before tomorrow night unfortunately. A better man than I would have looked online alright.

Hey,

There is a place down on the Quays that sells them - unfortunately i cant remember what the name of the place is - but its around the granary area i reckon.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The Maxol garage on the Cork Road has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

All Maxols have them apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Hey,

There is a place down on the Quays that sells them - unfortunately i cant remember what the name of the place is - but its around the granary area i reckon.

:cool:

the florist shop beside treacys on quay have them, got few there for party and they were grand, need to be lighting for minute or so before letting them go was the trick, we had calm night aswell.

Thank you all, ya saved me a weekends worth of nagging :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw one last Saturday night, it stayed in the air quite a while. Must have been a few hundred feet up (this was somewhere near the ORR).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

All the pound shops are doing them!!

Was just in there today and they're all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Need to get a couple tomorrow aswell.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Texaco on Dock Road also have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

you can get them in lisduggan shopping centre they always have them sometimes heart shaped one's never had problem always works but you will need help setting them off so they don't go on fire take your time wait for it to heat up enough before you let them go

Advertisement