Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing honours english in a year any tips?Isit possible in one year?

• 09-09-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating the LC. I got a B3 at ordinary level, I found ordinary english really easy I didn't really even put much effort into it and still got a B. I was going to continue with ordinary and do a different honours to count as my fifth honours. But I can't do that subject. Most of the teachers have told me if I can get a B in ordinary I'm capable of doing honours.

I want to try and aim to get a B in honours. Any tips or how many poems and quotes or what texts do I need to know. Isit hard work?

I know I'm going to have to work at it. What should I study? I need to learn Hamlet quotes. Whats the best way to practice? Should I try and learn all the poems on my own or wait for them to be done in class? I'm not bad at the poetry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

My strongest point of english is probably paper 1,I'm good at the essays and , comprehensions.
    Isit possible to get a B1 in english if I put a huge amount of effort. I know it's much harder than ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

It's hard to get a B1 doing it for two years in my experience, but if you work very hard you should do fairly well. You don't really want it to take all your time away from other subjects though.

I think you should definitely do honours but it will be hard to get a B... You could get a C quite easily if you know your paper two stuff, and maybe even push that up to a B. :)

I'd have to learn Hamlet would I be best learning this for the comparative rather than the main text? I'll probably speak to my english teacher when I have them and ask them. Most people would've covered Hamlet already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Yeah talking to your English teacher would be good. Hamlet is the main text and then there's the comparative and you'd have five or six poets to do (focus on three poems each). Studied poetry is only worth 50 marks or 12.5% overall and it's a whole lot of work so you could always consider leaving that section out and focusing on everything else. It would make the whole thing a lot easier for you if you were prepared to leave out fifty marks.... Just an idea. :)

Or I could leave the studied poetry for last. How much Hamlet quotes would I need to know? Would it be like the main scenes? and a few of the characters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You seem to be looking for a list of stuff to learn off, that's not really the way to go about it - you need to prepare 3/4 essays on Hamlet, 2 on your comparative and one on each of the poets (5 should be enough to cover you). Once these essays have been done and marked by your teacher, you need to practise adapting them to various essay titles.

Hamlet does not necessarily have to be your single text; you can do it as part of your comparative. However, because it takes so much time and because examiners will be expecting it, the majority of teachers use it as the Single Text.

What are your texts from last year and what texts is your teacher covering this year?

If paper 1 is your strength, then you just need to up your game a bit for Paper I Higher Level, by practising exam questions and essays.

deemark wrote: »
    You seem to be looking for a list of stuff to learn off, that's not really the way to go about it - you need to prepare 3/4 essays on Hamlet, 2 on your comparative and one on each of the poets (5 should be enough to cover you). Once these essays have been done and marked by your teacher, you need to practise adapting them to various essay titles.

Hamlet does not necessarily have to be your single text; you can do it as part of your comparative. However, because it takes so much time and because examiners will be expecting it, the majority of teachers use it as the Single Text.

What are your texts from last year and what texts is your teacher covering this year?

If paper 1 is your strength, then you just need to up your game a bit for Paper I Higher Level, by practising exam questions and essays.

None of my texts are on this year as I did ordinary level I should've stuck with the honours in 5th year but didn't. I found it really easy. I'm not quite sure what texts I'm doing yet I'll know this week. I only know we're doing Hamlet. How would I go about learning quotes for Hamlet? would I read it on my own first? then maybe get notes for it then learn quotes for specific characters? Would I be best keeping Hamlet as the single text or the comparative? as I have to get to know this in one year?

None of my texts are on this year as I did ordinary level I should've stuck with the honours in 5th year but didn't. I found it really easy. I'm not quite sure what texts I'm doing yet I'll know this week. I only know we're doing Hamlet. How would I go about learning quotes for Hamlet? would I read it on my own first? then maybe get notes for it then learn quotes for specific characters? Would I be best keeping Hamlet as the single text or the comparative? as I have to get to know this in one year?

It's the same list for OL and HL, if your texts aren't on this year, it's because they weren't repeated on the 2012 list, not because you did OL. You are just extremely unlucky that not one of your 2011 texts is on the 2012 list.

Get a summary of the whole plot first. Then set about reading it scene by scene and reading the notes at the end of each scene. The scene notes will pinpoint important quotes. You need to know the story, the theme and the characters. Quotes are used to back up your points, they are not the most important thing you need to know. A decent essay with very few quotes will get far more marks than 100% accurate quotes that are trying to replace a decent argument.

It's the same list for OL and HL, if your texts aren't on this year, it's because they weren't repeated on the 2012 list, not because you did OL. You are just extremely unlucky that not one of your 2011 texts is on the 2012 list.

Get a summary of the whole plot first. Then set about reading it scene by scene and reading the notes at the end of each scene. The scene notes will pinpoint important quotes. You need to know the story, the theme and the characters. Quotes are used to back up your points, they are not the most important thing you need to know. A decent essay with very few quotes will get far more marks than 100% accurate quotes that are trying to replace a decent argument.

My ordinary texts are still on this year apart from il postino but they're not available to do for honours . I have to learn the other texts set for honours.

Oh I get what you mean , so I don't need to know the whole book of quotes just the ones , for the different question that could come up. How long do the essays need to be?

My ordinary texts are still on this year apart from il postino but they're not available to do for honours . I have to learn the other texts set for honours.

I don't think you understand how the list of texts works. The SAME TEXTS are on for HL and OL. There isn't two seperate lists. The list is here

A typical Single Text essay is 4 pages long.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understand how the list of texts works. The SAME TEXTS are on for HL and OL. There isn't two seperate lists. The list is here

A typical Single Text essay is 4 pages long.

I studied The Story of Lucy Gualt , The Lonesome West(play) , Il Postino for the comparative and then How Many Miles to Babylon as my main text last year.
    I think I get it now. I can't use those texts I've done as my main text but I can use them for the comparative at honours level.

Do I just need to learn about another film ?

I misread the examination list earlier.

I studied The Story of Lucy Gualt , The Lonesome West(play) , Il Postino for the comparative and then How Many Miles to Babylon as my main text last year.
    I think I get it now. I can't use those texts I've done as my main text but I can use them for the comparative at honours level.

Do I just need to learn about another film ?

I knew you couldn't be that unlucky! You don't have to do another film because you have three texts already to compare - The Lonesome West, Lucy Gault and Babylon. You have to compare these under the modes of Literary Genre, General Vision and Viewpoint and Theme (reuse your theme from last year). You only need two of these, so drop the mode that you find the hardest.

I knew you couldn't be that unlucky! You don't have to do another film because you have three texts already to compare - The Lonesome West, Lucy Gault and Babylon. You have to compare these under the modes of Literary Genre, General Vision and Viewpoint and Theme (reuse your theme from last year). You only need two of these, so drop the mode that you find the hardest.

Last year the themes we did were relationships and social setting. Most people did relationships we learnt more about that. I prefer social setting or I think it can be used as cultural context. I find social setting much easier to compare than relationships. I only changed last minute and prepared an answer for that relationships don't seem as straight forward. What's general viewpoint , land leterary genre?

The Lonsome west play is a small play there isn't enough to write a lot on it. I was thinking of changing that and doing whatever one we learn.

Last year the themes we did were relationships and social setting. Most people did relationships we learnt more about that. I prefer social setting or I think it can be used as cultural context. I find social setting much easier to compare than relationships. I only changed last minute and prepared an answer for that relationships don't seem as straight forward. What's general viewpoint , land leterary genre?

The Lonsome west play is a small play there isn't enough to write a lot on it. I was thinking of changing that and doing whatever one we learn.

Did you read the link? Cultural Context isn't on for 2012. Use Relationships as your theme. Your teacher will go through Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint with you. In my opinion, Literary Genre is a lot easier as you can divide it into handy categories - genre (the type of text it is), narration (how the story is told or who is telling it - 1st person, 3rd person, omniscient), chronology (the order the story is told in - is flashback used or is it linear?) and character creation. You only have to cover 2 of the modes.

You have enough texts covered for the comparative, The Lonesome West is ideal for Relationships (between the two brothers) and there is loads for Literary Genre. Why would you go and create extra work for yourself by taking on another play? You already have to do Hamlet from scratch and will have a lot of poetry to pick up.

Did you read the link? Cultural Context isn't on for 2012. Use Relationships as your theme. Your teacher will go through Literary Genre and General Vision and Viewpoint with you. In my opinion, Literary Genre is a lot easier as you can divide it into handy categories - genre (the type of text it is), narration (how the story is told or who is telling it - 1st person, 3rd person, omniscient), chronology (the order the story is told in - is flashback used or is it linear?) and character creation. You only have to cover 2 of the modes.

You have enough texts covered for the comparative, The Lonesome West is ideal for Relationships (between the two brothers) and there is loads for Literary Genre. Why would you go and create extra work for yourself by taking on another play? You already have to do Hamlet from scratch and will have a lot of poetry to pick up.

Thanks that sounds easier then. I'm glad I know I can use the texts I have , I was worried ,I had to learn a text a movie and a new play. I just need to learn How Many Miles as a comparative. I need go over The Lonesome West as we didn't spend as much time on that. I'd probably need to learn quotes for this wouldn't I? I guess relationships isn't too bad , but all of those texts they all mostly have bad relationships. I do have quite a lot of work with picking up Hamlet, then the poetry. I'm definitely going to give honours a go. Going to ordinary , I won't need to put as much effort into and it's just too easy. Hopefully I'll put enough effort in to get me at least B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

I'm repeating the LC. I got a B3 at ordinary level. I found ordinary english really easy ; I didn't really even put much effort into it and still got a B. I was going to continue with ordinary and do a different honours [subject] to count as my fifth honours. But However, I can't do that subject. Most of the teachers have told me if I can get a B in ordinary,I'm capable of doing honours.

I want to try and to aim to get a B in honours. Any tips or how many poems and quotes or what texts do I need to know? Is it hard work?

I know I'm going to have to work at it. What should I study? I need to learn Hamlet quotes. What's the best way to practice? Should I try and to learn all the poems on my own or wait for them to be done in class? I'm not bad at the poetry.

Practice writing and paying more attention to detail with your grammar.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Practice writing and paying more attention to detail with your grammar.

My grammar isn't as bad as this normally. It's only because I was typing fast.

I guess relationships isn't too bad , but all of those texts they all mostly have bad relationships. I do have quite a lot of work with picking up Hamlet, then the poetry. I'm definitely going to give honours a go. Going to ordinary , I won't need to put as much effort into and it's just too easy. Hopefully I'll put enough effort in to get me at least B.

Quotes are only a back up for your points, stop worrying about them. Relationships is handy, just divide your essay up as follows:
    1. Intro (type of relationship, information about the three texts etc)
    2. When/how does the relationship begin or when/how do we first see the r'ship? (e.g. the two boys in Babylon meet swimming on Alec's estate)
    3. How does the r'ship progress? (common pursuits in Babylon, fighting in Lonesome)
    4. What problem/obstacle does the r'ship encounter?
    5. How is the r'ship resolved?
    6. Conclusion

An A or B will be very difficult to get coming from OL. Cs and Ds are the most common results in HL English and are quite achievable.

Quotes are only a back up for your points, stop worrying about them. Relationships is handy, just divide your essay up as follows:
    1. Intro (type of relationship, information about the three texts etc)
    2. When/how does the relationship begin or when/how do we first see the r'ship? (e.g. the two boys in Babylon meet swimming on Alec's estate)
    3. How does the r'ship progress? (common pursuits in Babylon, fighting in Lonesome)
    4. What problem/obstacle does the r'ship encounter?
    5. How is the r'ship resolved?
    6. Conclusion

An A or B will be very difficult to get coming from OL. Cs and Ds are the most common results in HL English and are quite achievable.

Thanks thats really helpful. Would it be best that I start practising the past papers maybe the paper 1 and the comparative , I've found a few summaries on the net of Hamlet, I'll wait until I know more about it before answering questions on it. . I guess it would be quite tough to get a B . I'll still try as much as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

My grammar isn't as bad as this normally. It's only because I was typing fast.

fair enough, i wasn't being a dick. honestly, learning to write well is the key.

• Advertisement

RGDATA! wrote: »
    fair enough, i wasn't being a dick. honestly, learning to write well is the key.

Haha yeah I know what you mean, I do need to practice writing in honours standard.

For learning Hamlet, Would it be a good idea for me to answer the questions at the end of each scene in the acts ? I might read it once then read it again and go through each act answering all of the questions. I have to read the whole play by next week. I have a copy to Hamlet movie to watch as well.

I've read a few summaries about the play.

Advertisement