Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit&Run victim - I need help identifying a make and model

• 09-09-2011 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there,
    Last Thursday at about 6.15pm a car drove into the side of my car while I was driving through the main crossroad at the Beacon in Sandyford.

The young guy driving the car kindly drove off without stopping or checking to see if anyone was hurt! As it was, I was fine but the rear rightside of car is all smashed in.

Unfortunately the incident happened so unexpectantly and fast that I was only able to get a partial number plate before he zoomed off.
    The year was 00 or 01. The county tag was “OY”.

Not much to go on, I know but on the plus side, the guy was driving a very, very distinct modified vehicle: a small white, mini-pickup.

While I immediately reported the incident to the Gardaí, and followed up again yesterday, I've not seen any progress on this from their side.

So I decided I need to try and get a better ID on the vehicle and bring it back to the Gardai. I was hoping to enlist the knowledge of the Boards motoring public to help me identify the make/model of this car if not the actual car itself

The car was a small, low-riding pickup truck with a tiny cab with rear window and a flatbed. It was all white. It didn't appear to have an manufacturers badges on it, from the rear at least.

The partial plates are 00-OY-XXX or 01-OY-XXX.
    It had square plates so I presume was imported from Japan.

I had a quick google around; the closest model I've seen to what it looked like was this on donedeal.ie: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2060589. It doesn't look exactly right though; I remember the rear window on the car that hit me was smaller than the one on donedeal.

Has anyone any other suggestions on what make/model this pickup could be?
    Anyone recognise the plates?
    A passerby indicated he recognised the car from the general Stillorgan area; can I ask you to keep an eye out for a similar car if you’re passing through the Stillorgan or Sandyford or Dundrum area? And, if you do spot it, get the full registration?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Scrumpox

Comments

Vw have a small little pick up popular with <snip> car enthusiasts, don't know if they were around in 00 though, on the mobile so can't really find a link to one at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

If it's modified. Try local modifiers around the areas or sources of parts. There used to be a place called DA Autostore in Stillorgan also. It also may be getting fixed up at the moment.

Just a guess but maybe 6.15 is the time they come home from work or wherever maybe it's their routine. You could observe there if you had the time. Or maybe check around Stillorgan for a while.

Any cameras in the areas or along those roads that could be checked.

Also, if their car is still out on the road it will look even more distinctive smashed up.

Maybe I've watched two much dectective shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ScrumPox

There's a traffic camera on the junction; just rang DunLaoghaireRathdown traffic department today to see if they have footage. She said she'd ring me back after lunch. I'm still waiting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've seen a Felicia or some similar sized skoda as a small pick up once or twice.

Not for a second saying its the same one but I saw the one I'm on about a coupe of times at heat merchants in Liffey Valley, young bloke drives it. Over a year ago now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I drive that area a fair bit and have never seen it. Will keep an eye out for you though. Surely the Beacon would have CCTV, maybe not of the crossroads but of the car coming up past the front of the building from Stillorgan direction?

• Advertisement

Just been searching for the VW that RoverJames suggested.
    Found the old flatbed Caddy here: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5357/photo1527.jpg

The rear window is definitely more like the one that hit me. There was not 'VOLKSWAGEN' writing on the tailgate.

Could the VW have square plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Maybe one of these? awful lot of them in ireland. brother in law used to have one.
    God help me, i cant manage the photo or link:rolleyes:
    i was on about a mitsubishi L200 pickup.

Arghh Wiger, you're link got stripped. can you repost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

403_feliciapick-up1995.jpg

Thanks MC... he made his getaway down towards the Luas track from the Beacon. I think I'll call into the hotel over the weekend to see if they monitor the road. Was also going to ask the many dealerships on the lefthand side as you go towards the tracks.

I'm certainly p|ssed off enough to spend time at this!

• Advertisement

Full?id=7875222
    not much help at all am i?:rolleyes:

ScrumPox wrote: »
    Arghh Wiger, you're link got stripped. can you repost?

This is what he was trying to post but from your discription it doesn't sound likely:
    Full?id=7875221

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    This is what he was trying to post but from your discription it doesn't sound likely:
    Full?id=7875221
    Thank you, for the love of god! that was the exact same image too:o:

that was the exact same image too:o:

I know! ;)

Thanks Wiger... but yeah, this truck is massive... the one that hit me was tiny; the rook of the cab probably only a little higher than an old mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

could be a p100,

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks Wiger... but yeah, this truck is massive... the one that hit me was tiny; the rook of the cab probably only a little higher than an old mini.

Im going to ask a very silly question, but it wasnt a mini pickup was it? They were stopped being made a very long time ago, but just in case....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I had a quick google around; the closest model I've seen to what it looked like was this on donedeal.ie: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2060589.

No offence to anyone, but what kind of tasteless moron would drive something like that?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No offence to anyone, but what kind of tasteless moron would drive something like that?
    Probably the same kind of tasteless moron who would crash into the side of someone's car and not stop to leave their details ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the same kind of people who badly modify 1.4 civics, drive boxy starlets , felt spec vag cars and have kids at age 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don't let this go OP!!! Let's get some justice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Isuzu Panther pick-up

std_ag_8954_ab_1.jpg?20101218131347
    0441167728.jpg

Has small window you speak of, in production since late 80s to present ( I think) and is an asian model.
    Google for more pics, there's loads.

Used to be a favourite of the local hispanic hard men when I lived in the states...except with impossibly small wheels (with spinners) and sticking out the sides on extenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

What side or corner of his car would have been damaged/scraped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

No offence to anyone, but what kind of tasteless moron legend would drive something like that?

I would, but I am, admittedly, a bit of a hick.

I would, but I am, admittedly, a bit of a hick.

go get a real pickup instead,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

go get a real pickup instead,

Nah, i like those gringomobiles for some reason.

Nah, i like those gringomobiles for some reason.

the only one of those thats in any way cool is the holden ute
    Holden_ute_SS-V_m_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

the only one of those thats in any way cool is the holden ute
    Holden_ute_SS-V_m_m.jpg

Neighbour drives 1 of dem. class machine!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I'd say you could be looking at a P100, they look a lot lower than you'd think......

Full?id=7663194

or possibly a Hilux 4x2, the one without 4WD, also a bit low slung.

Full?id=7483309

Advertisement