Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help removing locked lock from door

• 09-09-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would anybody have any advice on how to remove a cylinder lock for an aluminium back door? My problem is the lock is locked and I have no key. I've replace these locks a few times when open but would would be slightly worried about going straight at it while lock. when removing one normally you need to turn the key slightly once the screw from the side is removed to pull it out. If I was to drill it out that can't be done can it. How do I get around the fact to handle and bar are locked also?

I'd do it myself if possible for money reasons but would anybody have an idea what a locksmith would cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

take off the handle, screws should be on the inside, that will expose part of the cylinder, with a pliars, give it a twist and pull, it will break out the cylinder.

After that you may be able to get at the mechanism that will disengage the lock, its a job for a locksmith really, simple if you know how.:eek: if you don't
    Ring a few for a call out price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I had to get a locksmith to the house one day a couple months ago after I stupidly left my keys inside. Call-out fee was €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PaudyW

if your on the inside can you not cut bolt with angle grinder dremel tool or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

if in dublin, i'd fix it for 50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Thanks for the replies all. Will probably need to get a locksmith out. The best best price I could get was €75 with the lock replaced. If I take an angle grinder to it I'll then need a lock as well as the cylinder. Probably need to drill out the cylinder then but there is on guarantee I'd be able to pull it out.

Thanks for the offer kitser, I'm in limerick tho

Advertisement