Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Satellite Dish Installer

Options
  • 09-09-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Can anyone recommend a satellite dish installer for a Saorview HD Combi Box please? I'm in Tourlestrane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Call Taheny's they should have a number for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Ring Derek Dunne <snip> he did mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Can you get Saorview without HD?

I've seen a few things on HD TVs & don't really like it.

The thing about Saorview is that it'll broadcast digitally and hence will receive HD picture and sound.
    There isn't a whole lot of difference I think, you need a digital aerial anyway,plenty of people have analogue aerials still.
    That said,there's reports of people picking up all the stations around town with just the analogue aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karlalb10n

I've already got Saorview through the original house aerial. I bought a HD (High Definition) box because we have a HD telly. There was no need to do any work to the analogue aerial. We now have perfect quality RTE1, RTE2, TV3, TG4, RTE News, 3e and RTEjr where as before we struggled with picture and sound quality. The cost of the Triax 112 Saorview box was 90 Euro

If I had bought a SD (Standard Definition) Saorview box, we would just receive SD pictures even though the telly is HD. So Starbelgrade the answer to your question is 'Yes'. SD Saorview boxes start at around 60 Euro

However, in order to pick up the UK and Irish channels in perfect HD quality we need a dish and Combi Box rather than the aerial. Since posting the original request I have found a fitter that will supply the HD Combi Box, dish and install for 250 Euro

Thanks for all your replies

• Advertisement

karlalb10n wrote: »
    Since posting the original request I have found a fitter that will supply the HD Combi Box, dish and install for 250 Euro

Thanks for all your replies

Can you PM me the details of the fitter please?

Karl,which are the SD boxes? The brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

UrbanSea wrote: »
    The thing about Saorview is that it'll broadcast digitally and hence will receive HD picture and sound.
    There isn't a whole lot of difference I think, you need a digital aerial anyway,plenty of people have analogue aerials still.
    That said,there's reports of people picking up all the stations around town with just the analogue aerial

Theres no such thing as a "digital aerial". All aerials receive analogue or digital signals. Some installers are using it to make people buy a new aerial when they probably dont need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 karlalb10n

karlalb10n wrote: »
    If I had bought a SD (Standard Definition) Saorview box, we would just receive SD pictures even though the telly is HD. So Starbelgrade the answer to your question is 'Yes'. SD Saorview boxes start at around 60 Euro

My apologies to Starbelgrade and Urbansea

You cannot get SD Saorview boxes. However, If you have a SD telly you only get SD pictures

Everything else I posted about the anologue aerial is correct

What's the story now with analogue TVs - will it still be possible to use them when RTE goes fully digital?

I have a small portable in my studio. Had it for 15 years & have watched nearly every football match on it over that time. I really hope it will still work!!

• Advertisement

Ya you will star,but will need to get the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

What's the story now with analogue TVs - will it still be possible to use them when RTE goes fully digital?

I have a small portable in my studio. Had it for 15 years & have watched nearly every football match on it over that time. I really hope it will still work!!

Given that it's small and 15 years old and that you need to buy a receiver for it, maybe it's best to splash out on a new tv unless you are really emotionally attached to it.

Given that it's small and 15 years old and that you need to buy a receiver for it, maybe it's best to splash out on a new tv unless you are really emotionally attached to it.

I am emotionally attached to it. We've been through a lot together. The highs of Man United winning so many trophies. The lows of Ireland winning, well, nothing really.

I can't believe this is happening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

I am emotionally attached to it. We've been through a lot together. The highs of Man United winning so many trophies.
    I can't believe this is happening!!

Maybe watch Man City winning the premiership on it, might sever the emotional bond. :D

Maybe watch Man City winning the premiership on it, might sever the emotional bond. :D

By the time Man City win the Premiership, all TVs - even new HD ones - will probably be out of date!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

By the time Man City win the Premiership, all TVs - even new HD ones - will probably be out of date!

I reckon City will win the Premiership, when evolution puts wings on pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 okolo

I have a Saorview box at home. Got it setup a couple months ago.
    I was told that analogue tv's wont work anymore so we had to switch to Saorview.
    I think the HD box cost me around €60. He also sells Combo boxes but I didn't need it because I have sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Could one of the moderators please delete that mobile number, thanks.
    For information on SAORVIEW look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Smeagol wrote: »
    Could one of the moderators please delete that mobile number, thanks.
    For information on SAORVIEW look here.

Sorry which mobile number? I deleted one last week, can't see another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Never mind, Magnumlady.
    Okolo already got rid of it.
    Btw. from Saorview.ie:
    Analogue Switch Off (ASO) is when analogue television transmission in Ireland will be turned off. This will happen in late 2012.
    Still loads of time then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement