Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weanling to be Skulled

• 09-09-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

1 stub has grown on a weanling after he was dehorned. its too big to be allowed into mart.

will get vet to remove but would like to know how long before he will be fit to sell after removing it.

had vet out testing 2 wks ago but said weather was too dodgy and could get infected.. (maybe he 'saw' there'd be another 50€ on a handy call out!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

reps4 wrote: »
    had vet out testing 2 wks ago but said weather was too dodgy and could get infected.. (maybe he 'saw' there'd be another 50€ on a handy call out!)

Maybe not.

The traditional times for skulling have always been "between the frost and the flies" (April/May) and "between the flies and the frost" (October).

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

flies where very bad this last few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

we got maggots in a heifer after dehorning about a month ago . We will never do it again the weight fell off her for a few weeks she still hasnt come back as good as she was before dehorning .

moy83 wrote: »
    we got maggots in a heifer after dehorning about a month ago . We will never do it again the weight fell off her for a few weeks she still hasnt come back as good as she was before dehorning .

Some old traditions have a really solid basis.

Some are just old traditions!

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Between frost and flies is a tradition i wish we stuck with . I didnt think the weather was too bad for flies at the time .We dehorned five at the time and she was the only one that got maggots . It was one too many and wont happen again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

LostCovey wrote: »
    Maybe not.

The traditional times for skulling have always been "between the frost and the flies" (April/May) and "between the flies and the frost" (October).

LC

The oul lad always had it that it was safe so long as there was an R in the month. Would cold frosty weather do harm? Better without it I suppose. Flies are the real one to watch for alright.

Muckit wrote: »
    The oul lad always had it that it was safe so long as there was an R in the month. Would cold frosty weather do harm? Better without it I suppose. Flies are the real one to watch for alright.

I often wondered how much harm our usual frost would be to skulled cattle.

However I think those sayings come from an era where winters like last one were more common.

If you skull in winter they are usually inside anyway, with dirty walls etc to add another complication to open wounds.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Did anyone use that blue fly spray stuff, is it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kenny d

If as the op says it is only a stub then surely a few minutes with a length of cheese wire will do the trick and no ensuing dramas ?

Grecco wrote: »
    Did anyone use that blue fly spray stuff, is it any good?
    we use stockholm tar and spot on ...still had a cow with summer mastitis though:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

whelan1 wrote: »
    we use stockholm tar and spot on ...still had a cow with summer mastitis though:mad:

Whelan are you on about using it after debudding?

Grecco wrote: »
    Whelan are you on about using it after debudding?
    no this is for cows... i would put the fly pour on on any i dis bud at this time of year, or rub a bit of tar on them

Advertisement