Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Red lights

• 09-09-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Seen a cyclist nearly wipe out another cyclist going through a red light at a major junction on the Malahide road the other day. Well one came directly through a red and the other anticipated the light going green.

I was on a push bike for many a year (been a few years since my lazy ass touched a saddle), have the laws changed since i last was on a bike, or is it the "Jackass" generation mentality of todays cyclist who think going through a red light is fun:confused:.

Mind you i dont mean every cyclist goes through red lights, but ive been given a scare more than once, and was wondering why alot of people play chicken with fast moving objects that can weigh alot more than them!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

short answer, because they are idiots, you get idiots in every aspect of life unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

My thoughts are that a lot of cyclists think that pedestrian rules apply to them when on a bike.

I stop at lights when heading out on spins, and enjoy racing light breakers. They saunter along oblivious to the lights and I stop where required and sprint to catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Kids these days, they got no respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

maloner wrote: »
    I stop where required and sprint to catch up.

You mean that you make no concerted extra effort to catch up. Your awesomeness takes care of that for you. :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, have a read through the Court Summons for Cycling thread, then the Should traffic laws be enforced for cyclists thread

Once you've worked your way through those 44 pages, there's only 5 pages in the Letter in Sunday Independent-Anti cyclist rant thread

Once you've done that, report back to us if you can't find the answer to your question;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Surely the Friday Thread Rule only applies from 9-5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Beasty wrote: »
    OP, have a read through the Court Summons for Cycling thread, then the Should traffic laws be enforced for cyclists thread

Once you've worked your way through those 44 pages, there's only 5 pages in the Letter in Sunday Independent-Anti cyclist rant thread

Once you've done that, report back to us if you can't find the answer to your question;)

Looks like there could be eating and drinking in them threads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Looks like there could be eating and drinking in them threads :D
    Careful though. Too many of them and even the sight of them will make you want to vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I'm in Amsterdam at the moment and it's a totally different than Dublin.
    There are lots & lots of cyclists around and they blend in very well with pedestrians and motorists.

Nobody seems to pay that much attention to every light and people cross the road when it's safe and cyclists keep on cycling when it's safe aswell.

It's quite pleasant really, a nice break from the aggressive driving and blinkered pedestrians in Dublin.

It's good to see common sense reign here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

lastlaugh wrote: »
    I'm in Amsterdam at the moment and it's a totally different than Dublin.

Nobody seems to pay that much attention to every light...
    You're in Amsterdam and you're not paying attention to the red lights?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 LordVader

Are you able to report someone for breaking a red light if you take down their registration? Is it even worth doing it?

LordVader wrote: »
    Are you able to report someone for breaking a red light if you take down their registration? Is it even worth doing it?
    We're discussing cyclists breaking red lights here - not sure how practical it is to try and get their frame number;)

I saw a black BMW break two successive red lights this morning.

Therefore all car drivers break red lights.

Advertisement