Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone tried this dog food?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, that champion food doesnt look anywhere near as good as Barking Heads.
    If you compare them both, the Barking heads has a much higher content of meat and looks better quality meat as well.

The champion has meat meal and not proper meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Thanks for that Andrea, I guess if the price is cheaper it really does mean the food isn't as good quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

They are on completely different ends of the spectrumTBH, Barking heads has a high meat content, uses great ingredients and uses good grains. Where as champion on the other hand...

We all want to do the best for our dogs but recently I started feeling the pinch, I had him on james wellbeloved but as I am headed to college this year I couldnt afford to the bags for €50+ anymore. So I spent a whole day shopping around on the internet. In the end I got 2 15KG bags of Arden Grange for around €70 delivered from zooplus.co.uk I was chuffed that I had picked up a bargain and I wasn't compromising on his food as Arden grange is a high quality food just as good as wellbeloved if not better. I always use the UK site as it is cheaper than one Irish one. Also the below site really helped when choosing what to get as sometimes it can all be a bit mind boggling, they have reviews of almost every dog food on the Market, each review gives a run down of the ingredients, what's good and what's bad and then gives a star rating. It helped me to get the best food I could for money.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    So I spent a whole day shopping around on the internet. In the end I got 2 15KG bags of Arden Grange for around €70 delivered from zooplus.co.uk I was chuffed that I had picked up a bargain and I wasn't compromising on his food as

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but www.zooplus.co.uk only deliver Arden Grange to mainland UK

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/arden_grange/190000

(red writing, just above ingredients)

So I spent a whole day shopping around on the internet. In the end I got 2 15KG bags of Arden Grange for around €70 delivered from zooplus.co.uk I was chuffed that I had picked up a bargain and I wasn't compromising on his food as

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but www.zooplus.co.uk only deliver Arden Grange to mainland UK

Well that must be a new thing because I got it off them last week, strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 joey801

They are on completely different ends of the spectrumTBH, Barking heads has a high meat content, uses great ingredients and uses good grains. Where as champion on the other hand...

We all want to do the best for our dogs but recently I started feeling the pinch, I had him on james wellbeloved but as I am headed to college this year I couldnt afford to the bags for €50+ anymore. So I spent a whole day shopping around on the internet. In the end I got 2 15KG bags of Arden Grange for around €70 delivered from zooplus.co.uk I was chuffed that I had picked up a bargain and I wasn't compromising on his food as Arden grange is a high quality food just as good as wellbeloved if not better. I always use the UK site as it is cheaper than one Irish one. Also the below site really helped when choosing what to get as sometimes it can all be a bit mind boggling, they have reviews of almost every dog food on the Market, each review gives a run down of the ingredients, what's good and what's bad and then gives a star rating. It helped me to get the best food I could for money.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

Wow that would be good value if they delivered here. Anybody know of similar food around that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/[/QUOTE]

I have seen that dog food analysis site mentioned on here over and over, I have tried comparing the ingredients they list for foods to whats on the actual bags of food, they are often quite different so wouldn't put to much faith in that site.
    Also notice its biased towards certain foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mymo wrote: »

I have seen that dog food analysis site mentioned on here over and over, I have tried comparing the ingredients they list for foods to whats on the actual bags of food, they are often quite different so wouldn't put to much faith in that site.
    Also notice its biased towards certain foods.

Yep, within the different brands there are different ranges and each individual food has its seperate ingredients list and nutritional values, but they have just copied the ingredients from one and re-posted it over and over again making speculations and stating them as fact.

Loads of dogfoodanalysis critics here: :p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66813845

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68654004

OP - Maize would be pretty high up in the allergy stakes so I'm not sure how they are declaring that the champion food is hypoallergenic, I'm sure there are better ones for the money. Unfortunately zooplus aren't barking head's converts yet but they do plenty of good quality foods and always have offers if you have enough dog to make buying 30kg at a time worthwhile. It would take me 2 years to get through 30kg and it wouldn't have much nutritional value by the end of that :D

Cheers all, I will carry on with my search!!

AJ, yes 30kg probably would be a good deal for us, 2 dogs get through a 12kg bag in about 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

Tried ordering Arden Grange from the UK site about 6 weeks ago and they wouldn't deliver to Republic of Ireland...I don't know when they implemented this because I got AG from them before - about 6 months ago.

Raging because zooplus.ie don't stock Arden Grange for some reason :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I started my 4 on Champion about a month ago and am currently in the process of putting Jazz (JRT) back onto RC. Her aggression levels are through the roof at the moment which is making for a horrible living environment :(

I don't know if the food is causing/contributing to the behaviour but I'm changing anyway.
    The other 3 seem absolutely fine with it so I will keep them on it.

Just to add in case anyone wonders I am doing other stuff as well to resolve the aggression. I will not have a snappy little dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Seriously? I have been putting off ordering Arden Grange from the UK site because I didn't think they delivered to Ireland... might try to order it again now!

@ Tranceypoo My aunt fed her dog Red Mills (not sure which one), changed to Champion thinking it was a great deal and it ran through her dog (and he's not a sensitive dog!). She ended up giving the rest of the bag to someone because it went down so badly with her own dog. Back to Red Mills and he was grand.

The best piece of advice I can give you on saving money with dog food is keeping your eyes peeled for offers in pet stores and online - some of them can save you a fortune!

I started my 4 on Champion about a month ago and am currently in the process of putting Jazz (JRT) back onto RC. Her aggression levels are through the roof at the moment which is making for a horrible living environment :(
    !
    @ Tranceypoo My aunt fed her dog Red Mills (not sure which one), changed to Champion thinking it was a great deal and it ran through her dog (and he's not a sensitive dog!). She ended up giving the rest of the bag to someone because it went down so badly with her own dog. Back to Red Mills and he was grand.

The best piece of advice I can give you on saving money with dog food is keeping your eyes peeled for offers in pet stores and online - some of them can save you a fortune!

Yikes!! Well Champion is off the list, I'll stick with Barking Heads for the foreseeable and keep an eye on prices on the other good foods. Thanks again guys for all the helpful advice and experience

To those who stated that zooplus uk didn't deliver arden grange to ireland I didn't see the remark above the ingredients when buying and my order got here grand last week. It did come from germany but as far as I know regardless of zooplus site you use they all come from there as that is where the company is based. I got free delivery and all, very handy and a really good price.

As for the dog food analysis site, by no means is it a bible however I do think it is a good guide as most people dont really know what should and shouldn't be in dog food so it can be helpful. I certainly wouldn't go buying a food just because 1 site told me that it was good, I think it is a good place to start research though.

Advertisement