Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Stats with Vodafone at home Broadband

• 09-09-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone in ireland, or other countries, using boards.ie, viewing this page that are experiencing broadband speeds comparable to these?

Has anyone ever got pings over 1000? Is it difficult to describe how slow this internet connection is . You know those high tech slow mo cameras, which capture great white sharks jumping out of the water with their big teeth exposed . that is what it is like trying to open a page .

1474426246.png

1474430733.png

1474444817.png

1474514532.png

46630465.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

What has Vodafone got to say about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

More than likely peak time congestion... What's the connection like at other times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭badabing106

homer911 wrote: »
    What has Vodafone got to say about it?
    They say they the fault is on our end , even though we had a seemless, faultess zippy internet connection with The company they took over our contract with ?

mark17j wrote: »
    More than likely peak time congestion... What's the connection like at other times ?

It has improved fractionally ,less pings,but is still snail pace internet , good for very little.

1474857821.png

1474882506.png

1474897654.png

Could be a wiring issue, but ur net worked fine with ur last provider?.. heard of allot of people having issues with Vodafone lately... sometimes get sluggish speeds some evenings myself, but they usually clear up after an hr or two... Change over to UPC if u can get it. it's far in front of DSL

1475004679.png

Wireless connection: - modem downstairs i'm up in attic

1475019764.png

mark17j wrote: »
    Could be a wiring issue, but ur net worked fine with ur last provider?.. heard of allot of people having issues with Vodafone lately... sometimes get sluggish speeds some evenings myself, but they usually clear up after an hr or two... Change over to UPC if u can get it. it's far in front of DSL

1475004679.png

Wireless connection: - modem downstairs i'm up in attic

1475019764.png

Wow that is a fast!

Nah it ain't a problem on our end as far as i am concerned, we have troubleshooted it for months looking for a fault on our end. We had a falutless Internet connection for 2 years, all our problems starting the week we changing to Vodafone

Unforunately Upc is not in our Estate yet.

Recorded our slowest ever internet/download speed today

1475860900.png

edit just checked to see how many times faster Upc is than Our Vodafone connection

20mb / 0.3 mb = the number of the beast /666 times slower!

• Advertisement

I never thought an Internet connection could get this low/ slow and still retain an online status.

1479626604.png

1479644567.png

We wre trying to watch a tennis match and got this! , Anyone else get these results ever or is it just us? Anyone want to photoshop results worse than these and make us feeel better :mad:

1479718478.png
    1479731497.png

We wre trying to watch a tennis match and got this! , Anyone else get these results ever or is it just us? Anyone want to photoshop results worse than these and make us feeel better :mad:

1479718478.png
    1479731497.png
    Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

1479718478.png
    1479731497.png

Whereabouts do you leave?

That doesnt look like a vodafone network issue but more like a PSTN or internal Wiring problem

Posting your line stats will be a good idea (router stats)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Bohrio wrote: »
    Whereabouts do you leave?

That doesnt look like a vodafone network issue but more like a PSTN or internal Wiring problem

Posting your line stats will be a good idea (router stats)

Aye, +1 on this. I find it hard to believe that your ISP would be deliberately giving you such low, varying speeds. Even if you were set on a low profile (for example, 128k) your ping would still be nowhere near as high.

Post what modem you're using, your line stats, and your internal setup (how many sockets, how many phones, any skyboxes, monitored alarms etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

i actually had a similar problem yesterday although not as slow. Gettin 0.85 on the speedtest. I rang them and the lad on the phone could see what the problem was and would have it fixed in 30 mins. I had to drag the info out of him to see what the problem was but he eventually told me that somone in vodafone had reduced my bb to 1mb!! i wonder is this a common practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TimK1764

Plug your modem in straight to the wall with no extensions etc just the shortest wire you can find, if your still having the same slow speed its most definitely vodafone, we switched to them 6 months ago because they were slightly cheaper then eircom, at first we were getting less then half the speed we had with eircom and it was the same "upto 8mb" package, I plugged the modem in straight to the wall with a half metre cable and the speed improved to on average above 6mb no more the 7.5mb and stayed that way, but over the past week its been well below 1mb, of course they have nothing to say though..

roast wrote: »
    Aye, +1 on this. I find it hard to believe that your ISP would be deliberately giving you such low, varying speeds. Even if you were set on a low profile (for example, 128k) your ping would still be nowhere near as high.

Post what modem you're using, your line stats, and your internal setup (how many sockets, how many phones, any skyboxes, monitored alarms etc.)

The thing is for two years they said it was a "hardware/internal problem"

Than 1 month ago they actually admitted on boards.ie that it was "an internal/external problem", then a few days ago they told me that it was an "external problem"

Two days ago, someone from eircom came out and our internet confirmed the "external problem" and our Internet has performed better than ever since. It is still restricted to less than 2.5 mb ( which vodafone has set as our max) but is still are best connection with least amount of pings ever

It is hard to convey to other people the trouble and frustration we have had to endure with a shoddy vodafone broadband service. At every step of the way, we were told wer were at fault!

Four boys in 2011.. two in college . whom had to go through with no internet for days, disconnectiong internet every 15 minutes , or speeds so slow as to be a completely of non worth internet connection

TimK1764 wrote: »
    Plug your modem in straight to the wall with no extensions etc just the shortest wire you can find, if your still having the same slow speed its most definitely vodafone, we switched to them 6 months ago because they were slightly cheaper then eircom, at first we were getting less then half the speed we had with eircom and it was the same "upto 8mb" package, I plugged the modem in straight to the wall with a half metre cable and the speed improved to on average above 6mb no more the 7.5mb and stayed that way, but over the past week its been well below 1mb, of course they have nothing to say though..

Mate, thanks for the comments by the way , Our Modem was moved to actually in kissing distance to the access point for up to a year now.

-- Update--: Eircom on behalf of a very reluctant Vodafone themselves have confirmed in the last two days that it was an "external problem", not ours!

Mate, thanks for the comments by the way , Our Modem was moved to actually in kissing distance to the access point for up to a year now.

-- Update--: Eircom on behalf of a very reluctant Vodafone themselves have confirmed in the last two days that it was an "external problem", not ours!

So the problem is with the PSTN line then?

It was obvious, either that or your internal setup. Still is not Vodafones network...

Actually I am going to add something here. Eircom wouldn't have come out to your house if they didn't suspect an issue at your premises or at least close enough. In fact you said that since then your connection works better... you might wanna ask them what he did to solve this.

Believe me, whatever the problem is/was exclusive to your line, hence is either PSTN or CPE. If it was a Vodafone issue you will have hundreds of people complaining. Is not your fault, Eircom tend to do this a lot, blame somebody else, and it works! very well in fact.

One of the most common issues is, they call out to your house, at this point, most Eircom FE won't know whether the line is Vodafone, UTV, or Eircom retail... they ring your doorbell and then they realize that you are Vodafone. Now, they might suspect of an internal issue, or even a line problem out side the premises but what do they do? as is not part of the SLA (service level agreement) they don't have to fix your telephone line as long as the phone is working, doesn't matter if its affecting your broadband service or not. If you were an Eircom Retail customer you might get lucky... but any other ISP no way jose!

So now he is in a position where if he tells you this he knows you will go bananas so what does he do? he mentions an external problem (which is possibly true) does his bits there to keep you happy and so you will let him leave without much complaining...

Don't be deceived...

Anyway, if you want to get this sorted, you will need the following information

Is your PSTN line testing ok? (Green, Red)
    if it is (it shouldn't if the problem is external) then are you sure is nothing internal?

Remember that if you post your router stats people might be able to help you, otherwise there is little we can do

Things you might wanna do next time the connection starts dropping

When the connection drops, check if your DSL light goes off an on
    Try to get your router stats then, so we can see at what speed your line is synching at.

If it doesn't then check if your pppoe connection drops (this will depend on the router but normally the internet light will go off)

If you are not loosing sync the problem is probably not a line issue, has to be either your router (wireless, pvc settings, etc) or at Vodafones side (but not normal to only affect 1 person unless the problem is with your username/port)....

Going to bed now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 TimK1764

To the post above i dont see why you're trying to defend vondafone do you work for them or something? Go onto the vodafone forums people have complained, and sure not all complaints are online,,,,

1489132321.png

My internets been worse then above over the past two weeks and like I've stated before was with eircom before and never once had it drop so low for weeks at a time, been with vodafone 6 months and it does drop at least once a day,(you'll assume at peak times but no at random times) but its been extremely bad the past two weeks, and trust me its 100% VODAFONE not internal not me its them selling ****e! :P

TimK1764 wrote: »
    To the post above i dont see why you're trying to defend vondafone do you work for them or something? Go onto the vodafone forums people have complained, and sure not all complaints are online,,,,

1489132321.png

My internets been worse then above over the past two weeks and like I've stated before was with eircom before and never once had it drop so low for weeks at a time, been with vodafone 6 months and it does drop at least once a day,(you'll assume at peak times but no at random times) but its been extremely bad the past two weeks, and trust me its 100% VODAFONE not internal not me its them selling ****e! :P

No I dont work for them, I wouldnt go near them unless I had no other choice. But same as many other isps, including Eircom, in fact, specially Eircom.

A latency of around 6 seconds is never an ISP network fault. If an ISP network is causing a latency of that magnitude that will mean something very wrong in their network and of course it wont only affect one customer but many, many many...

A latency on 100 ms is normal enough and can be caused by several things. Dropping the connection once a day is not rare. If you lose sync then the problem is likely a line problem, and this is again not likely a vodafone issue. If the connection doesnt drop then it might have somethign to do with Vodafone, among other things.

People always assume I work for whatever ISP they are complaining just because I dont always say what they want to hear...

Personally I dont really care if its Vodafone or not. All I know is that if people are not open to suggestions or to the possibility that the problem could be else where they rarely get things sorted.

I have heard so many times the word, its not my internal wiring because it was working before, so it has to be somewhere else... so wait a minute, the fault is not on your side because it was working before but it is on whoevers side because??? if we apply the same principle it was also working before...

I cant say where the problem is for several reason, all the information/results posted by the OP or people in this thread in general are just speednet results.

The reason why I said that the original problem was not on the Vodafone network is because such latency cannot be cause to a single user as the connection between the ISP and the DSLAM is not split into single users but hundreds at a time, so for one person to have a problem many other will have to have the same problem, in this case latency over 5 seconds, very low speeds, etc...

Therefore, as the problem seems to be manifesting only to a particular person, or very few, the problem must be between the exchange and the customer, this is the copper wires between the exchange and your NTU or your internal wiring.

The copper wires are not part of the SLA, meaning that even if there is a fault on the line Vodafone cannot fix it unless is affecting your phone service as they cannot push this onto eircom wholesale.

So see my point, by law Vodafone (Eircom wholesale) cannot guarantee DSL to CPE, all they do is connect it to the DSL port (unless is Line Sharing) and then hope that the copper is in good enough condition to carry the DSL signal without problems, and thats it! (besides the interconnects between exchange/ISP)

Advertisement