Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Frustration

• 09-09-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm repeating and starting back on monday. I went into my school earlier in the week to finalise the subjects i am going to do, except there was a problem. When we first went to talk to the principle she said that i could do economics but my mom took it up that i could literally do it during school, but i already have my 3 options (Biology, Home Ec and History). I am repeating 5 out of my 7 subjects and picking up 2, except the career guidance teacher says i should only do 6. Shes filling in for the old guidance teacher who will be out sick for the next while. He didn't see any thing against it, in fact he was a lot nicer than she was. She thinks it will be a lot harder for me to pick up 2 new subjects but i have a genuine interest in them both. Im starting Ag Science outside of school (was going to do it last year but kept honors maths instead) and i was going to try and cover the economics course by myself, but im not getting the support for it now. Has anyone else had the problem??? Instead of geting help for the subjects i want i've been told ill get them for my best subjects. Am i missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well maybe you could clarify a few things:

Is economics offered in your school?
    Is there a class in leaving cert this year doing the subject?
    If so, would you be able to fit it into your timetable?
    Does it clash with one of the subjects you have picked?

If it is offered, then the principal was not lying when they said you could do it. If it is not offered in your school, and you have been attending there for the past 5 years then the principal probably assumed that you already know this and that you wanted to do Economics outside school but sit your exam there. It's a common enough query about subjects that are not offered.

If it's not offered or you are doing it outside regular school hours, no principal is going to promise you that a teacher will be made available to help you when you need it. The teacher would not be paid to help you outside school time so you would have to come to an arrangement with the teacher, if of course they agree.

If the school doesn't offer the subject you can't expect the whole place to revolve around you and provide you with one to one tuition.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

Well maybe you could clarify a few things:

Is economics offered in your school?
    Is there a class in leaving cert this year doing the subject?
    If so, would you be able to fit it into your timetable?
    Does it clash with one of the subjects you have picked?

If it is offered, then the principal was not lying when they said you could do it. If it is not offered in your school, and you have been attending there for the past 5 years then the principal probably assumed that you already know this and that you wanted to do Economics outside school but sit your exam there. It's a common enough query about subjects that are not offered.

If it's not offered or you are doing it outside regular school hours, no principal is going to promise you that a teacher will be made available to help you when you need it. The teacher would not be paid to help you outside school time so you would have to come to an arrangement with the teacher, if of course they agree.

If the school doesn't offer the subject you can't expect the whole place to revolve around you and provide you with one to one tuition.

Sorry :D It is. Yes it does clash. We pick 3 optional subjects and im repeating the 3 i did this year. I know she wasn't lying, i get that. I mean it was taken up literally that i could do it in school and do my other 3 optional subjects. That is a problem but i thought about maybe doing revision courses to help me get up to scratch. The only real annoyance i have about the whole thing is that i was told i should do 6 subjects by one guidance teacher, and 7 by another, and because there is no way for me to be in the economics class, i've been told that i shouldn't waste my time on a 7th subject, which would be economics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just because one guidance teacher told you you should do seven subjects and that was the answer you wanted to hear, does not mean the one who told you do six subjects was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

That guidance teacher is wrong! When I said I was going to take up Biology AND Chemistry (having not done a science subject the first time I did the LC) the guidance teacher in a reputable South Dublin grind school was stifling her laughter. An A1 and an A2 later I'm the only one chuckling. If you're committed enough go for the subjects you think you can do well in, whatever the authorities say

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

spurious wrote: »
    Just because one guidance teacher told you you should do seven subjects and that was the answer you wanted to hear, does not mean the one who told you do six subjects was wrong.

I never said they were wrong and if it sounded like thats what i said i'm sorry but thats wrong. I just hate the fact that im geting conflicting opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you think there is going to be a problem with one of your six subjects then, yes, it may be worth the extra work to do a seventh.

I think you should sit down with someone who knows the requirements for the course(s) you want to get, knows your abilities and your work rate.

It doesn't have to be a guidance counsellor. Ask a teacher who you maybe got on with last year for a few minutes some day after school and get a realistic idea of how you might do.

Personally I'd rather give subjects I had already had two years of a second go, rather than starting a whole new subject and trying to do it in one year.

Advertisement