Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCI World Road Race Championships Copenhagen

• 09-09-2011 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Irish team for UCI world road race championships, September 19 – 25:

Senior (M)

Daniel Martin (RR)
    Nicholas Roche (RR)
    Matt Brammeier (TT & RR)
    David McCann (TT & RR)

U23 (M):

Sam Bennett (RR)
    Philip Lavery (RR)
    Felix English (RR & TT)

Junior (M):

Jack Wilson (RR)
    Ryan Mullen (RR & TT)

So how are we looking folks I do know Felix is well up for this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Pity Sean Downey didn't get selected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    Pity Sean Downey didn't get selected.

+1 but it looks like it was a hard choice. Great for the sport to have so many good quality U23 riders. And good to see us qualify for the U23 worlds again.

Saw Sean Downey at the RAS and he rode superbly. Hope he gets a good team for next year and wouldn't be surprised to see him turn pro..

RobFowl wrote: »
    +1 but it looks like it was a hard choice. Great for the sport to have so many good quality U23 riders. And good to see us qualify for the U23 worlds again.

Saw Sean Downey at the RAS and he rode superbly. Hope he gets a good team for next year and wouldn't be surprised to see him turn pro..

He smashed the National TT Course also..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

This is on in 2 days :D

LQQk,s like Mr English was not on his best today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

good effort by
    Downey, English
    had nearly twice the deficit of Downey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Its a good ride by
    Downey
    50 secs off top ten is very good.
    English is only a first year U23
    sohe will improve a good bit.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Highlights from 8pm tonight on Eurosport

A reminder to everyone to use spoiler tags for same-day race information - there will be no more warnings, just infractions (and bans for repeat offenders)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Thans for that timely reminder Beasty!

Also the coverageis on Rai sport 2 on 13E on sat. I watched the junior womens this morning tomorrow we have an entry in the junior men the British and Irish TT champ ( i know, I know before youse jump in!) Ryan Mullen

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In case anyone's confused (as I was;)):

Downey and Horgan successfully appeal and are selected

Full team is now:
    Junior (M)
    Jack Wilson (RR)
    Ryan Mullen (RR & TT)

U23 (M)
    Sam Bennett (RR)
    Philip Lavery (RR)
    Felix English (RR & TT)
    Sean Downey (TT)

Senior (W)
    Siobhan Horgan (RR)

Senior (M)
    Daniel Martin (RR)
    Nicholas Roche (RR)
    Matt Brammeier (TT & RR)
    David McCann (TT & RR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Interesting to see how good this young Ryan Mullen is. Eligible to ride again next year as just turned 17! His TT starts early Tuesday morning so wishing him the best of luck and of course all the guys not forgetting Siobhan.

Beasty wrote: »
    In case anyone's confused (as I was;)):

Downey and Horgan successfully appeal and are selected

Full team is now:
    Junior (M)
    Jack Wilson (RR)
    Ryan Mullen (RR & TT)

U23 (M)
    Sam Bennett (RR)
    Philip Lavery (RR)
    Felix English (RR & TT)
    Sean Downey (TT)

Senior (W)
    Siobhan Horgan (RR)

Senior (M)
    Daniel Martin (RR)
    Nicholas Roche (RR)
    Matt Brammeier (TT & RR)
    David McCann (TT & RR)

:o I,m a little late

Official Website here

Today's events:

Junior Men's TT this morning (Ryan Mullen)
    Elite women's TT this afternoon

Also, I've changed the thread titlle - we may as well use this thread for all things World Championships related. If anyone wants to start any specific event threads that do not require spoilers feel free (but remember no current day race info in the opening post)

Very solid ride by Ryan Mullen

Not a good day for Matt Brammeier abandoned at half way point with sore throat, unlikely to ride Sunday as well

Men's TT Results

1. Martin (Ger) 53:43.85; (51.8 kph)
    2. Wiggins (Gbr) 54:59.68;
    3. Cancellara (Swi) 55:04.44;
    4. Grabsch (Ger) 55:15.61;
    5. Bobridge (Aus) 55:57.71;
    6. Porte (Aus) 56:13.39;
    7. Millar (Gbr) 56:29.47;
    8. Westra (Ned) 57:01.82;
    9. Dyachenko (Kaz) 57:03.61;
    10. Fuglsang (Den) 57:14.44;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mcann 27th
    brammier DNF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Not a good day for Matt Brammeier abandoned at half way point with sore throat, unlikely to ride Sunday as well
    That's a big blow for the Irish team :(

I've removed the spoiler tags for yesterday's racing - don't forget to use them for today'stomorrow's though

if you have sky dont forget most of the worlds is on the red button the TT was on a permanant loop last night (i was watching it at about 11pm)

• Advertisement

Nice little article about a few selected World C'ships by Cycling News:

Top Ten World Road Races

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Best of luck to Sam, Philip and Felix in the mens U23 RR today. Definite medal chance here but one thing for sure all 3 will ride their hearts out. Nothing will be left on the road.

Looks like another bad day at the office for Felix English - he abandoned, Lavery was mentioned in one attack - Sam finished 95th 37 Seconds down and Lavery finished in the bunch in 57th. Andrew Fenn from An Post took a bronze

I don't want to get all SSB here, nor do I want to seem like I have an axe to grind, but if the U23 Team was selected on performance based criteria, why did Sean Downey have to appeal to get selected - and what benefit was Felix English to the team considering what's mentioned above ?

I'd understand it say if it was amateur times, and Downey was in his 30's and English in early 20's, it makes sense as English is being developed but I think Downey would have been a better rider for this sort of race, no disrespect to Felix, he's a decent rider (a f*ckin hell of a lot better than I'll ever be, or expect to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Looks like another bad day at the office for Felix English - he abandoned, Lavery was mentioned in one attack - Sam finished 95th 37 Seconds down and Lavery finished in the bunch in 57th. Andrew Fenn from An Post took a bronze

I don't want to get all SSB here, nor do I want to seem like I have an axe to grind, but if the U23 Team was selected on performance based criteria, why did Sean Downey have to appeal to get selected - and what benefit was Felix English to the team considering what's mentioned above ?

I'd understand it say if it was amateur times, and Downey was in his 30's and English in early 20's, it makes sense as English is being developed but I think Downey would have been a better rider for this sort of race, no disrespect to Felix, he's a decent rider (a f*ckin hell of a lot better than I'll ever be, or expect to be).

I'm an adjective now wow! Impressed.

The late selection of Siobhan Horgan and SD was strange alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I only got a chance to see the Men's TT highlights on BBC this afternoon.
    I was amazed by the amount of mistakes made by Cancellara during the last section of the TT. He messed up a couple of corners and basically stopped at a barrier at one stage. He was never going to catch Tony Martin but he probably would have finished 2nd ahead of Wiggins. It was very uncharacteristic from Spartacus!

as he said in the interview his head just wasnt there (and the pressure martin put him under meant he was chasing the race all the way which forced him into mistakes)

womens road race on red button at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

as he said in the interview his head just wasnt there (and the pressure martin put him under meant he was chasing the race all the way which forced him into mistakes)

womens road race on red button at the moment

Highlights will be hard to find, just turned on to hear the boys talk about the weather, shopping, TV, jokes etc, ie. anything but the 'racing' :pac:
    Kelly is being so diplomatic, it's hilarious (he's dying to say, "it's fceking crap".

I hear the French are being investigated, looks like they cheated !! (ie, used a tandem :p).
    bettiniphoto00896371ful.jpg

vos second again every year since 2006 she was so p***ed off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

OK the main event is on today!

Elite men's road race (266km) started at 9am

On Eurosport live all day
    I see Dan Martin sitting at the back of the bunch.
    Looks like he has Irish shorts on and from what I can see, I could be wrong, but looks like the manfacturer's name blacked out!
    I know his dad is
    involved with the team and very hands on with the team (even made them dinner last night!!).

PS Yeah - again just saw two Irish riders beside each other
    at the back of the bunch
    . Could clearly see DM has Santini logo blacked out just above his s$$ to one shide on the shorts and other guy didn't . I know Dan would have Castelli as clothing sponsor with Garmin but I always thought for Worlds etc, the Federation's sponsor got some exposure on the rider and that was accepted practice. Wonder what it's all about!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Mmmmm.............what to do, what to do, put €20 on Cav @ 4/1 or Sagan @ 13/2 ??!! or is the Thor worth a punt @ 7/1..........or Degenkolb EW @ 60/1. It should be an interesting finish anywayz ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Anyone else find theses world champs courses utterly tedious? Today is so awful.

Roll on giro Di lombardy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is there a twitter feed or somewhere else I can follow on my mobile?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Is there a twitter feed or somewhere else I can follow on my mobile?

Try live.cyclingnews.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Masterful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

brilliant!!

• Advertisement

Team GB absolutely buried themselves - Wiggo's performance was incredible to rein in the break on his own, and giving Cav the chance for the final glory - absolutely fabulous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Masterful.
    lennymc wrote: »
    brilliant!!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

fair play to him

i thought he bottled it, he looked pegged in for the best part of that finishing straight, but credit where its due, he's a serious talent

F#####g great finish

Fully deserved win. Great finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Skinsuit and aero helmet is a bit try-hard though, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Skinsuit and aero helmet is a bit try-hard though, isn't it?

Only if you lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Such a farce of a World Championship race with a flat circuit resulting in the inevitable sprint finish.
    What's the point? If you don't know the result, why are you reading a thread about it?!

If you don't want to use spoiler tags, start a specific race thread - this thread covers the whole championships

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

nitrogen wrote: »
    Such a farce of a World Championship race with a flat circuit resulting in the inevitable sprint finish.
    What's the point? If you don't know the result, why are you reading a thread about it?!
    Why is it a farce? It can't be a hill fest every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Beasty wrote: »
    If you don't want to use spoiler tags, start a specific race thread - this thread covers the whole championships

Beasty

But what sort of idiot not wanting to know the result would be viewing a thread about the Championship, a couple of hours after it finished. It's like as if I taped the world cup final, and instead of watching it, I decided to browse forums discussing the world cup.

Use your head instead of getting off on your power trip with mod warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I don't find spoiler tags annoying ion the slightest. CTRL + A = No more spoiler tags.

People moaning about spoiler tags? Now that is irritating and there is no keyboard macro to make the moaners disappear.

We've had the discussion about their application. A policy was adopted after quite a lot of thought and consultation. Let's just get on with it.

nitrogen wrote: »
    But what sort of idiot not wanting to know the result would be viewing a thread about the Championship, a couple of hours after it finished. It's like as if I taped the world cup final, and instead of watching it, I decided to browse forums discussing the world cup.

Use your head instead of getting off on your power trip with mod warning.
    If you have a problem with mod actions, PM the mods or report the post. Do not challenge them in-thread

We have done the spoiler tags to death in the past. The curremt rules were established based on the consensus of users who expressed views on the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

[QUOTE=Beasty;745
    88416]If you don't want to use spoiler tags, start a specific race thread - this thread covers the whole championships

Beasty
    [/QUOTE]

As a championship thread, is it the correct forum to suggest the courses have been boring this year?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Anyone know how to view spoilers on a smart phone? No ctrl function and all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement