Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCI World Road Race Championships Copenhagen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Anyone know how to view spoilers on a smart phone? No ctrl function and all that.

If you're using touch.boards.ie tap the spoiler and you'll be able to see it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

el tel wrote: »
    As a championship thread, is it the correct forum to suggest the courses have been boring this year?
    :)
    As no-one has bothered starting any stage-specific threads, this is the correct one for all topics relating to the World Championships.

However if you wish to state today's race was boring/exciting or anything else, use spoiler tags before midnight

This is not a thread about the use or otherwise of spoilers - we had a feedback thread a few weeks ago when the topic was touched upon. If anyone wants any further clarification (even though the rules are pretty clear), take it to PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Sorry Mr Beasty, sir :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Sorry Mr Beasty, sir :(
    Yuur question was straightforward (and I wouldn't have know the answer anyway) - I don't mind that, it's just I don't want the thread clogged up with questions of when to use spoilers or debates on the spoiler rules;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Good finish, but overall a crap and boring race. Still can't see the guy being one of the greats (cippo who?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

niceonetom wrote: »
    Skinsuit and aero helmet is a bit try-hard though, isn't it?

Yeah, let's all not try out best and fail looking good

nitrogen wrote: »
    Such a farce of a World Championship race with a flat circuit resulting in the inevitable sprint finish.
    What's the point? If you don't know the result, why are you reading a thread about it?!

Why should it always be for climbers?

Isnt Paris Tours flat yet still a classic!??

Beasty wrote: »
    el tel wrote: »
    As a championship thread, is it the correct forum to suggest the courses have been boring this year?
    :)
    As no-one has bothered starting any stage-specific threads, this is the correct one for all topics relating to the World Championships.

However if you wish to state today's race was boring/exciting or anything else, use spoiler tags before midnight

This is not a thread about the use or otherwise of spoilers - we had a feedback thread a few weeks ago when the topic was touched upon. If anyone wants any further clarification (even though the rules are pretty clear), take it to PM

The individual races as part of the road World Champs are not "stages" but each one is a separate championship race in itself.

not sane wrote: »
    Good finish, but overall a crap and boring race. Still can't see the guy being one of the greats (cippo who?)

Crap in your opinion at this moment in time. Tell me if you remember Cipos win in 02 as crap today. A win is a win. A world champs jersey is a world champs jersey.

The system/tactics that brought success today showed it's merits. Bravo to the winner and the team. Not all races need ball busting climbs suited to rake physiques to be great races.

Also remember in horse racing, flat racing is the pinnacle of the sport ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

God, a year of listening him whinging and moaning and 'their out to get me' rants followed by crying or whatever. Thought Cadel and Thor were great wearer's of the stripes lets hope he tries to keep it going.

bcmf wrote: »
    God, a year of listening him whinging and moaning and 'their out to get me' rants followed by crying or whatever. Thought Cadel and Thor were great wearer's of the stripes lets hope he tries to keep it going.

Give me a break. Cadel was hardly an angel previous to acquiring the jersey. Ever looked up his rants on you tube? ;-)

Glad to say I prompted 2 mates to throw a few quid on the winner on the last lap and it paid dividends ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

maybe I'm just easily amused, but I really enjoyed that coverage this evening...
    spoiler: and I was delighted to see the winner...deadly!
    ...but I was out all morning/afternoon on the bike so I only got to see the highlights there on eurosport, rather than watching the whole thing, so I could see why people might think overall it was a bit dull if ye were watching it live for 200+ kms....

EDIT: dammit... why is the spoiler thing not working! remove text...quick!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Brilliant result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

I love the photos taken today here by Gary McIlroy on the irishcycling.com site. He obviously had great access to the race itself. The photo taken as the winner crosses the line look like the finish of any race, any weekend, anywhere up or down the country. Cancellara sprinting on the hoods too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just watched it and managed to avoid the result
    Mark cavendish world champion woooohoooooo boy the british team did some work but he still had to finish off great win
    to the person complaining about the parcours whats your name andy schelck ( you do know its on a different course every year dont you)
    thought it was a cracking race the first few hours of the wc are always like that whatever the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm glad that he won.
    Wasnt the most exciting race in the world, but the execution and end result were pretty much flawless.
    Top 3 riders all horses from the same stable so to speak. Greipel obviously bolted a year ago.
    Has that ever happened before?

Good old Dave ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cycling/15054454.stm

Miller = Deluded

Rest of Brits = pretty much on the money

Note to Dave Miller: Doping's bad ok

also
    HUUUUUUGE mistake by the ausssies not having renshaw in there he would have shut cav out properly

Curfew over!?

CAV wins!

What a legend and what gr8 tactics by team GB.

Law of small margins paid dividends!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

CAV wins!

What a legend and what gr8 tactics by team GB.

Sickens my ball sack Tbh. Each to their own opinion but I can't stand the guy. Team GB did well, Wiggo was brilliant, the real winner.

• Advertisement

Sickens my ball sack Tbh. Each to their own opinion but I can't stand the guy. Team GB did well, Wiggo was brilliant, the real winner.

Why can't u separate the rider from the personality and respect the effort Cav, his team and back up did for the race?

If Cav was Italian and us Irish couldn't understand what he was saying could you stand him? Can't you stand the fact he has a hot girlfriend? Why can't you stand him?

It's not the most likeable guy in the bunch that wins you know?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I don't like any sprinters really, and this years TDF confirmed my opinion. I always get the impression(correct or not) that they bask in the glory of other riders.

In fairness I did say that team GB did well, and in particular Wiggo. He did a brilliant job of closing the gap and delivering Cav back to the breakaway group. He did a stand out job.

His nationality or girlfriend, is not the issue, I just seem to be drawn to the guys that are more.....well all rounders. For example Evans and Hushovd won the championships in style in my eyes.

I just can't warm to the guys that follow in the draft all day then stick their heads out for the last 200m to take the win.

And I am most definitely not a Wiggins fanboy before anyone suggests it:D

I don't like any sprinters really, and this years TDF confirmed my opinion. I always get the impression(correct or not) that they bask in the glory of other riders.

In fairness I did say that team GB did well, and in particular Wiggo. He did a brilliant job of closing the gap and delivering Cav back to the breakaway group. He did a stand out job.

His nationality or girlfriend, is not the issue, I just seem to be drawn to the guys that are more.....well all rounders. For example Evans and Hushovd won the championships in style in my eyes.

I just can't warm to the guys that follow in the draft all day then stick their heads out for the last 200m to take the win.

And I am most definitely not a Wiggins fanboy before anyone suggests it:D

It's a wonder you like any riders at all. Going by your logic do you admire the guys who wash the bottles more than the rouleurs?

Sprinters do what they do within teams as sponsors see worth in their ability, you shouldn't take it personally.

Not that I know alot about sports science but sprinters have unique abilities to produce savage power at the end of a long race and possess tremendous riding skills. On top of that, they are very brave and put their health on the line in every sprint.

Variety of race routes makes them interesting and caters for a wider morphology of rider.

If you think the race looked too easy today it's cause alot of guys had their race face on and ok maybe they weren't greatly tested. At the same time, when it came to the sprint, the main protagonists were there or abouts, proving it was about ability for such a race and not just luck.

Cav and his teams ability won the race, to discount it as mere wheel sucking does a disservice to the jersey and the winner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You try doing it.

You don't get to be the best in the World at something like this without putting some bloody hard work in. Cav's proved to be the best at what he does in one-day classics, Grand Tours, and now the World Championships. The team is there to deliver him to the finish, and the first thing he does after the race is thank them

I guess some people prefer it when the victories get spread around a bit more. I personally like to see it when one talent is so good he can pretty much eclipse all around him, and that's what Cav does when it comes down to a sprint finish

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Have to agree with Super Freak, I'm in the same opinion. Ok give Cav some respect but as I said before he is not going to go down as one of the greats (i.e. Sean Kelly) because he is only suited to one parcour and always needs a superb team behind him (i.e. Wiggo, Thomas, Stanard). It would be great if he could prove me wrong next season and win a few races like Flanders, a couple of stages like Hushov did this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

First thing he did was thank the team, so shows that he's not just a selfish show off. He also took the initiative to follow his mate Matt Goss when his team got spread out so his tactics were outstanding. He also risked hitting the fence at the end and out sprinted everyone after staying in touch for 266km, drafting or not. I have to say though Wiggins was outstanding to close the gap like that. I was sceptical when the British press go on about him winning the TDF. It's a bit like the football team are always going to win the World Cup. The only slight niggle I have, is that Millar was a key driver of the team and his past is a little tainted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

I don't understand why people should find Cav so irritating? I thought he was very "gracious in victory" rightly thanking his team for delivering him to the point where it was up to him to win ...... and he repaid them by doing that! The course suited him and team GB and he won ..... fair dues to him!

... it's the scouse accent:D

Anyway - I have a plan. Let's invade the IOM and claim him for Ireland

so if we had boards organising the race gilbert would win everything hmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Read a lot about 'perfect' Team GB race tactics yesterday. Even a tweet by Nico.

Now, all I know about winning sprints is what I learned from watching HTC at the TDF this year.

But to my untutored eyes it looked like Team GB made a balls of it, pushing the pace far too early, having no fresh riders available with about 1-2k to go, no lead out train for a finish, leaving Cav to fend for himself.

Am I missing something subtle here?

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Read a lot about 'perfect' Team GB race tactics yesterday. Even a tweet by Nico.

Now, all I know about winning sprints is what I learned from watching HTC at the TDF this year.

But to my untutored eyes it looked like Team GB made a balls of it, pushing the pace far too early, having no fresh riders available with about 1-2k to go, no lead out train for a finish, leaving Cav to fend for himself.

as far as the gb team making a balls of it no they didnt , yes they did burn riders earlier than they wanted but that was inevitable cos no-one else was going to chase, cav i thought did a brilliant job and something he gets little credit for by jumping on the ausssie train near the end, the other teams were going to try and put full lead out trains in place if they could (the aussies seemed the only ones capable) and lets be honets they did try and barge cav off the wheel a few times as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

No I think you make a good point - Cav was very much on his own towards the end but he had the good sense to get on Goss's wheel! In fairness HTC ride together all the time, Team GB only come together for these sort of races!
    I think the main problem is that as Irish people we just hate the sound of the name "TEAM GB"!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

RPL1 wrote: »
    I think the main problem is that as Irish people we just hate the sound of the name "TEAM GB"!! :rolleyes:

I assume "team GB" excludes nordies, or it would be "team UK". That would leave the "team Ireland" with access to riders from all 32 counties, plus the usual "diaspora".

?

Anyway, massive respect to all riders for that finish. I was on the edge of my seat for the final gallop. Simply amazing bike handling skills on display.

Tactics that win are winning tactics. We have no way of replaying the race under different scenarios, but GB presumably reckoned that other teams would work together to shut out Cav with a big bunch split, so they had to take it on early. Cav's ability to move safely through the bunch and put himself in exactly the right position for the sprint is deeply impressive; it's not all about power in the final kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If you look at the finish you will see GB had 2 riders there trying to pull Cav to the front and lead him out, when one of the Aussies (I think) blocked him off badly, the 2 GB lads had to situp and Cav was on his own from there. You can see the 3 of them making their way up the right hand side by the barriers in this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0q05wFnyYI#t=10m04s

I thought Team GB did an absolutely immense job, once the Germans stopped helping when they lost men behind the crash they were absolutely on their own. Wiggins pull for an entire lap was something to behold, single handedly chasing down the Hoogerland, Voekler, etc. break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I thought Cav was superb. His team did some great work to keep it all together but he was very much on his own near the end and found a way to win.

The constant niggling about his being delivered to glory by his team mates, needing to do no more than work on his victory salute, is getting a bit old. His win in one of the Brittany stages in the TDF this year was also done without a functioning lead-out train, just to give one example.

We all tend to cheer for the breakaway and it's hard to feel much affinity for the sprinters' teams as they gobble up all before them. Nonetheless, Cav is an exceptional talent (who is almost local!) and, rather than carp from the sidelines, I prefer to stand back and admire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Beasty wrote: »
    ... it's the scouse accent:D

Anyway - I have a plan. Let's invade the IOM and claim him for Ireland

I have relatives in Manx (mostly in-laws). Better off leaving them there.

Fair play to Cav and Team GB/IOM . Lets hope he does as good as job in the stripes as IMO Cadel and Thor did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I thought Cav was superb. His team did some great work to keep it all together but he was very much on his own near the end and found a way to win.

Indeed, in the 2010 tour once renshaw was thrown out, Cav managed to find a way to win a few more stages working off the back of other teams trains. He is an exceptional talent and much maligned imo in alot of quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

RPL1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people should find Cav so irritating?

I'll admit I've changed my opinion on Cav over the past 18 months or so. I thought he was fairly obnoxious and a reckless sprinter, particularly at the time of the accident that ended Hausslers 2009 year, but following him over the period since, he has been gracious and honest, IMO. He also has a sizable sense of self-deprecation and is not shy to accept his weaknesses. His Twitter profile states " Professional cyclist from the Isle of Man. Fast sprinter, faster talker. Disclaimer: May cause offence." so he's well aware that he's not on everybody Christmas card list. That's a refreshing change from the all-too-aware suck-ups to the corporate world that a lot of sportsmen have become. He gets my vote for that alone! All sports need 'characters' and that's something no-one can deny he is.

His performance yesterday, and that of Team GB - esp Wiggins - was awesome. Its easy to say it was only the last 200m, but they had been setting tempo (and Cav keeping with them) for the previous 266km !!! Froome and Cummings DNF'd after their role for the team.

What will be interesting to watch is how he/Sky treat the jersey over the year. Can Sky afford to work for both Cav and Wiggins at the 2011 Tour, with the Olympics following so soon after? If not, will Cav forego the Tour in favour of the Olympics and Sky then concentrate on Wiggins for the GC? It would be strange to see the Green jersey go undefended, even moreso for the World Champions jersey to not be on the TdF, but the Olympic title is a big fruit - interesting time ahead !

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

What will be interesting to watch is how he/Sky treat the jersey over the year. Can Sky afford to work for both Cav and Wiggins at the 2011 Tour, with the Olympics following so soon after? If not, will Cav forego the Tour in favour of the Olympics and Sky then concentrate on Wiggins for the GC? It would be strange to see the Green jersey go undefended, even moreso for the World Champions jersey to not be on the TdF, but the Olympic title is a big fruit - interesting time ahead !

Wiggins has (1) confirmed that Cav will be at Sky next season and (2) has cast doubt on his ability to do the tour and the olympics and be successful. He said that it is possible that Cav does the tour but doesnt finish, but that he believes it is next to impossible to go and want to win the green jersey and then go to the olympics to try and win a medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've changed my mind on Cav over the last year or so and whilst I'll never be a fan he deserves the title simply by virtue of the fact that he won it! I still have nagging doubts though about how the world title can go to someone who struggles to complete a grand tour, but maybe that's just me.

On a different topic wtf was going on with the irish team kit, it was a bit eehh...green...

I'm not one for throwing superlatives around willie-nillie, ala the BBC when discussing sports, but that was IMO THE finest example of team work and a cast iron example of how cycling is a team sport with all strengths used to their full potential.

I can't think of any historical team effort that would surpass this, HTC included, as these boys don't generally work together for prolonged periods.

griffin100 wrote: »
    On a different topic wtf was going on with the irish team kit, it was a bit eehh...green...

As opposed to....???

As opposed to....???

maybe an ecb bank logo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Can't really agree with you there at all, the sprinters still have to beat the other 10 or 20 guys that were sitting in the group all day too so it's no mean feat to be able to sprint at over 60km/h at the end of a 200k spin (drafting or not), get the tactics exactly right and keep your concentration for a very small time window at the end of a long race.

I also don't see too many sprinters basking in the glory of other riders; Cavendish is one of the best for acknowledging his team mates when he gets a win. I especially like how he apologises to his team when he doesn't win a sprint finish, he seems to genuinely feel like he has let them down and I can't but admire him for that.

He has been one of the best riders to watch for a couple of years now, his class is indisputable, and I think it can only be good for the sport that he will be wearing the rainbow jersey next year.

Chapeau.

Moflojo wrote: »
    Can't really agree with you there at all, the sprinters still have to beat the other 10 or 20 guys that were sitting in the group all day too so it's no mean feat to be able to sprint at over 60km/h at the end of a 200k spin (drafting or not), get the tactics exactly right and keep your concentration for a very small time window at the end of a long race.

I also don't see too many sprinters basking in the glory of other riders; Cavendish is one of the best for acknowledging his team mates when he gets a win. I especially like how he apologises to his team when he doesn't win a sprint finish, he seems to genuinely feel like he has let them down and I can't but admire him for that.

He has been one of the best riders to watch for a couple of years now, his class is indisputable, and I think it can only be good for the sport that he will be wearing the rainbow jersey next year.

Chapeau.

+1

In sprinting, it's all about the sum of your parts. His job is to win the sprints and that is the best way to do it. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MungoMan

not sane wrote: »
    Ok give Cav some respect but as I said before he is not going to go down as one of the greats (i.e. Sean Kelly) because he is only suited to one parcour and always needs a superb team behind him (i.e. Wiggo, Thomas, Stanard).

I think you are being unfair to Cav.
    He has won 30 stages in the TdF, Giro and Vuelta combined.
    He is still only 26.
    Every sprinter needs a team behind them, or else it would be very hard to win, but the sprinter still needs the ability to unleash extraordinary power over the last few hundred meters, and they need to be strong enough to be in the right position before the sprint.

What we saw yesterday was absolutely amazing, the guy deserves all the credit he gets. I think he is well on the way to being one of the greats, if he is not there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Great win for Team GB.
    Cav really is a special athlete who I'm sure will do the jersey proud! I've never really understood the hate some people have for the guy. He clearly loves the sport & genuinely appreciates the work his team do for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume "team GB" excludes nordies, or it would be "team UK". That would leave the "team Ireland" with access to riders from all 32 counties, plus the usual "diaspora".
    I just assumed it was based around the Olympic qualifications - it's Ireland and Great Britain, and athlete's from the North can choose either. Although, I think it's technically on racing licence, rather than any general qualification criteria.

• Advertisement
Advertisement