Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCI World Road Race Championships Copenhagen

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

bcmf wrote: »
    I have relatives in Manx (mostly in-laws). Better off leaving them there.

Fair play to Cav and Team GB/IOM . Lets hope he does as good as job in the stripes as IMO Cadel and Thor did.

http://youtu.be/UX8Dg4nW7lU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I noticed, that a number of riders, including Cavendish, wore skin suits.
    Also did anybody see Cavendish's helmet. It seemed to have a membrane, stretched over it, it looked like cling film. Was this to improve aerodynamics?
    On a fine day, like yesterday, it must have been like an oven, under that, what with no air being able to flow through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ashleey wrote: »
    Slightly off topic from the World Champs...
    But when my brother went there first he and a few friends were living in the chalets that used home holidayer's whom used to visit the Isle. By the time they left it for more suitable winter accomodation it was in bits. Went to a place* that served alcohol called 'Quids Inn' (I think) where you payed a quid to get in and every drink was a quid. Dont really remember too much else to be honest except that it was a kip.

*calling the place a pub could be an offence under the trades description act.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Regarding Cav I always feel that when there is one particular rider dominating a sport etc, I'm always up for the underdog. I will be rooting for Renshaw against Cav next year. To put it into context when Denis Taylor beat Steve Davis or when Ali beat George Forman the list can go on. I feel its not that people don't have respect for Cav its just the way of sport in general. Just comparing Cipo with Cav, did Cipo not cross to a break by himself in the Gent Whevelgan (excuse the spelling) and then sprint to win, to me that is class. If I ever see Cav do something like that then I will be most humbled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

CAV will inevitably lose a notch of pace at some stage in the future. Presuming he doesnt retire and stays fit, then in all likelihood he will try to morph into a 'classic' rider and win a few more MSR's and target the flatter one day classics.
    He has shown with MSR and y'day that he can be cometitive at the end of a 260km race. I think that people forget that he is only 26.
    He is a breath of fresh air in pro sport, where so many professional athletes are po faced me feiners. I mean yday, Gilbert blamed the course, and Hushovd blamed having his team tactics. When CAV loses he blames himself, when he wins he is gracious regarding his team mates. That is the sign of a true pro IMO.
    Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Fair points made by all, maybe I'm starting to warm to the guy:D

Mark-Cavendish-006.jpg

Marck+Cavendish+and+his+dance+partner.jpg

Seriously though I really can see both sides of the arguement.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You shouldn't take things personally Super Freak. I'd be surprised if that gesture in the first photo was directed at you (unless there's something you're not telling us;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

NAAH. If I wanted to be taken seriously I'd head over to after hours.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I was lucky enough to be at the presentation for next years edition in limburg in Copenhagen. The race starts in Maastricht(?) and does 100km and then goes onto the cauberg circuit for 160km. So it will be short for those on the circuit but should be full of fireworks.

I thought the race was okay and wiggins did a super ride on the last lap. I had hoped the break wouldnt go away for a little longer and there would be loads more attacking from the bunch.dan tried but it was too fast. when you seen the hill you thought it would be a little difficult for Cavendish but I guess whats hard for us is nothing for them.

enjoyed the junior mens race the best but I believe the girls was a good one as well.

Overall I thought we well a little unlucky. Jack Wilson was riding great and was shoved into the barrier with 2 to go. Mullen was caught in a crash but got back on. Siobhan H was in the first 10 with 3 to go and got a pedal in her front wheel and the change took an age and it happened when the dutch girls started to line it out. The men just couldnt get out of the bunch it was too fast most disappoint aspect of the weekend was the gargle was too expensive!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I noticed, that a number of riders, including Cavendish, wore skin suits.
    Also did anybody see Cavendish's helmet. It seemed to have a membrane, stretched over it, it looked like cling film. Was this to improve aerodynamics?
    On a fine day, like yesterday, it must have been like an oven, under that, what with no air being able to flow through it.

Have a look at http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/sep/26/mark-cavendish-london-2012-olympics

lpb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Les choses du monde chapionats que je pense:

what watts Bradley Wiggins produced on last lap?

What chainring and rear sprocket was Cav in for gallop? and his wattage?

anyone got links?

ta

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Cavendish is 4 to 1 to win bbc sports personality of the year as a green jersey winner and world champion. Im just saying like;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

I reckon Wiggins averaged well over 50km/hr for that 10 km pull at the front towards the end of the race. He was in the form of his life (I think his Silver at TT showed us that) A great race and Team GB played a blinder.
    As for Cav, I have to say that was one of the most tactically astute finishes he has ever produced. This guy annoyed me with some of his antics in the past but what a talent. He has 20 stage wins in the biggest race on the calendar and he is just 26 years old. He has ridden that race 4 times and has won nearly quarter of all the stages in those 4 years. Merckx holds the record with 34 wins He won MSR when I thought he was too young to last the distance (300km) and he didn't have a lead out man that day. On Sunday he won when all the pressure was on him as race favourite and it was, in my opinion, a difficult finish. He will go down as one of the greatest sprinters of all time and he has won me over with his maturation over the past 18 months and his generous praise of his teammates after each victory.

Has there ever been a more aerodynamic sprinter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Great finishing sprint, the build up to it (live) was exciting, on the last lap I thought Voeckler was 'very' cheeky, bordering on being 'an ignorant prik', ie. did he really expect the others to deliver him to the line ??, Hoogerland escaping from the bunch had the commentator wetting his pants :pac:, Wiggins delivered a great turn at the front, as Kelly pointed out the speed dropped and alot of movement went on before the last turn, Cav had a bit of elbow-ing to do, then they turned and they were going so fast the camera angles couldn't keep up with what was going on. But Cav appeared from the melee and the commentator wetted himself again :D
    Goss will look back and think "what if" as he came the closest to defeating Cav.
    The width of a human hair seperated Greipel (who came from a long way back, he was 3 bike lengths from Cav when it kicked off but finished 1 bike length away) and 'on-the-hoods' Cancellara who has turned himself into a 'sprinter'.
    Sagan was there at the beginning but faded near the line, great experience for him.
    Roelandts had a chance for a place but got squeezed-in/stopped in the final moments.
    Freire was on Greipel's wheel but decided to veer across the road and lost too much ground.
    EBH & Farrar never had the required horse-power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

Is the World Championship Road Race (Mens) available to download or will it be repeated - I have a friend who missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Is the World Championship Road Race (Mens) available to download or will it be repeated - I have a friend who missed it

Video of last 15min here: http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9722&status=True&catname=Latest%20News

Advertisement