Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 month USA Visa eligibility requirements change

Options
  • 09-09-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

hey just wondering if anyone knows about the recent rule changes to the eligibility of this? from what I can gather there is some ambiguity as to what type of qualification allows you to get this visa. Both USIT and Go4less state on their websites that you can go if you have completeted a course to FETAC Level 6 or higher within the past year. Go4less states if its level 6 it must be at least a 2 year course, USIT does not.

According to USIT's website 'If your course is at least Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications Ireland, you have an Irish passport, are over 18 and have received your qualification within the past 12 months, we can now consider you eligible for the 12 month USA Programme. Because of the nature of your course, you must actually receive your entire qualification (certificate) before you are allowed to apply for the programme'

Anyway I spoke with usit and apparently this is no longer the case as some people with a level 6 qualification have been turned down because their course was not recognised. I tried to get further clarification as to what the eligibility requirements now are but have yet to receive any info.

Hopefully someone out there will know more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

There seems to be a lot of issues over this recently. Apparently the US embassey have just decided to close it off to recently qualified solicitors and accountants with no warning whatsoever. Usit are trying to get them to open it up again (especially for the 3 or 4 guys whose applications had already been submitted) but its not looking good. Best thing to do it send in your course details to USIT and get them to advise you on it, after that just apply and cross your fingers, as far as I know usit will refund you (c. 2k) if your application is rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kittzs

Hi I was hoping to get a J1 12month working visa to America. I graduated in oct 2011. I contacted usit today and they told me I had to enter the US by june of this year... I was wondering is there anyway around it ... I was hoping to go in Aug as I would have more money saved.. it says on the website that the requirement is within 12 months of graduation.. :/ does anyone know any info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Can you get a letter from your college stating that you graduated from your course in November? I started the J1 visa in October a year after I graduated and used this letter as proof of graduation, not my degree itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If your college can sign a letter stating when you graduated, that's the same as showing a degree with your graduation date on it, its an official letter from the college. I used it for 1 visa with Sayit and 1 visa with Intrax Internships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

sugarman wrote: »
    Serious? Who was that with? As when I got onto Usit they said the same as the other poster, goes by the date on the degree:confused:

The date on your degree will be the actual date you graduate, well it was for mine anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Harry mcvinny

hi guys

date on your grad cert is not always date of grad ceremony, my cert says i graduated 25th june 2011 but my ceremony wasn't until 12 october 2011. USIT told me to get a letter from college stating that my actual grad ceremony took place in october 2011 and that will override the date on my cert so I am booked to travel 11th oct this year, happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

When I got mine I was able to head off after my exams but the ceremony wasn't until August so I suppose that's what was on my graduation stuff, so when my first one expired the following May it was still within 12 months of graduating so I was able to get a second one that started in July :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

recently qualified solicitors and accountants with no warning whatsoever.

Does this only apply to "qualified" accountants or also to persons with Finance\Account degrees??

Thanks
    LL

Advertisement