Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voip poor quality calls.

• 09-09-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

looking for some advice/suggestions please to improve call quality on my b/face unit.
    I've noticed over the last couple months call quality has not been great, to such an extent that i've lost confidence in this unit and will probably go back to upc unless I can improve matters. Callers have remarked that for a few seconds during calls they could hear nothing and sometimes the voice is jumpy. This is happening now on every call.
    My bb speeds are 25mb and 2.5 mb which I would have thought would have being sufficient for this unit. I don't use xbox etc or download files/movies.
    B/face customer services recommended after a few steps trying to improve matters which didn't help, that I should talk to my bb provider and increase my speeds, the next step is 50mb and 5mb, with the added increase in this cost and not knowing if things would really improve I think I would be better off getting a phone deal with upc.
    I spent €208 for this unit, calls for life free offer and six months in beginning to feel I made a big mistake and regret buying this.
    Could the phone be faulty, in fairness it seems ok but what would I know. I thought b/face worked on much lower bb speeds that what I was on, so advising me to further increase my bb speeds I feel is not the correct solution.
    I did a ping test and A was the result, thanks in advance for any ideas given.

46631737.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

irishisptest.com does a test which is useful to decide if the broadband is up to the mark for VOIP.

It will check Jitter, sip response time and Packet Loss and give a full report.
    My bb speeds are 25mb and 2.5 mb ...

Your upload speed is greater than my download speed :D

300kbps upload here and I never have call quality problems related to it.

Check the broadband connection and pay particular attention to the VOIP section report.

Just checked mine .....

0.2ms Jitter and 0.0% packet loss

Response Time (ms)
    Register: 279
    Invite: 265
    Bye: 250

regards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

pat1981 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

looking for some advice/suggestions please to improve call quality on my b/face unit.
    I've noticed over the last couple months call quality has not been great, to such an extent that i've lost confidence in this unit and will probably go back to upc unless I can improve matters. Callers have remarked that for a few seconds during calls they could hear nothing and sometimes the voice is jumpy. This is happening now on every call.
    My bb speeds are 25mb and 2.5 mb which I would have thought would have being sufficient for this unit. I don't use xbox etc or download files/movies.
    B/face customer services recommended after a few steps trying to improve matters which didn't help, that I should talk to my bb provider and increase my speeds, the next step is 50mb and 5mb, with the added increase in this cost and not knowing if things would really improve I think I would be better off getting a phone deal with upc.
    I spent €208 for this unit, calls for life free offer and six months in beginning to feel I made a big mistake and regret buying this.
    Could the phone be faulty, in fairness it seems ok but what would I know. I thought b/face worked on much lower bb speeds that what I was on, so advising me to further increase my bb speeds I feel is not the correct solution.
    I did a ping test and A was the result, thanks in advance for any ideas given.

46631737.png

I completely agree with johnboy and would check with blueface if there is anything wrong on their side by a telephone call, not email.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

B/face gave me the link for this and results were showing voip should be of good quality.

Register 595.
    Invite 558
    Bye 549
    2.8 average jitter.
    0% packet loss

B/face also asked me to download x lite 4 and use the soft phone to check call quality.
    When I reported back with the same issues the focus turned to my isp provider and no other solutions were offered.

irishisptest.com does a test which is useful to decide if the broadband is up to the mark for VOIP.

It will check Jitter, sip response time and Packet Loss and give a full report.

Your upload speed is greater than my download speed :D

300kbps upload here and I never have call quality problems related to it.

Check the broadband connection and pay particular attention to the VOIP section report.

Just checked mine .....

0.2ms Jitter and 0.0% packet loss

Response Time (ms)
    Register: 279
    Invite: 265
    Bye: 250

regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Are you able to configure the Blueface unit or have they locked it out from you?

I have a Blueface setup (using my own gear though) on UPC working fine, it did require a little tweaking to get right though...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭pat1981

The unit is pre configured, It is a siemens gigaset A580 ip

Kensington wrote: »
    Are you able to configure the Blueface unit or have they locked it out from you?

I have a Blueface setup (using my own gear though) on UPC working fine, it did require a little tweaking to get right though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Are you able to get into the settings menus though?

An overview of what I configured to get mine to work nicely:
    Codec = G711a

Jitter Level = Low
    Jitter Buffer Adjust = Disable

Echo Cancel = Disable
    Echo Suppression = Disable

Silence Suppression = Disable

Those settings are on a Linksys SPA-2102 so I'm not sure where (or if) those settings are present on your Blueface unit. They may also be referred to as a slightly different term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The problem with broken calls and periods of silence is caused by there being long delays between bursts of activity.

If you check using Irishisptest and look at the graphs and the advanced tab you will see the activity and the pauses. The pauses should be even and no more than 20ms or so.

You need to do a whole series of tests one after the other. A single test is useless because it could show a perfect connection or an abysmal one.

Periodically I suffer the same problem and tests show that an extremely large upload or download speed followed by an equally large pause before settling to a more normal activity/pause pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 fbit_colin

Hey Pat

Have you done a test using skype?

Download and install Skype and do some echo tests.

Once you have Skype installed dial from the Skype software

echo123

The reason i am recommendiing this is that your broadband is well above what is required to make one VoIP call.

If your Skype results seem fine then it is possible UPC doing something with your VoIP.

Another test is to use your current phone and call Blueface test numbers.

You can test these from the following numbers

http://www.blueface.ie/helpandadvice/usefulnumbers.aspx

Let me know how it goes.

Colin

Advertisement