Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made butter

Options
  • 09-09-2011 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I know this is a bit of a weird one... but does anyone know where i could get some real home made butter.. i.e made from the cream of unpasteurised milk? Really interested in sourcing some!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

butter itself is ridiculously easy to make yourself, so what you may be better off asking is where you can get some unpasturised/unhomogenized milk? For that your only hope is to approach a local farmer...even that doesn't hold much hope these days for fear of lawsuits/etc. Bummer, though...if you ever hear of someone willing to sell some of their milk pls let me know. I have many dreams of homemade yogurt/butter/ice cream/cheese/whey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭swillybabe

I could probably source the milk, just dont want the hassle involved in the whole butter making process...
    I agree with your point tho about the law suits! I dont really hold much hope out in being able to get the butter for that reason.

what hassle? you whip it until it becomes butter, then you squeeze out the water (well, whey actually, which you can use for countless other purposes)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Now, after all that I will answer your question. Tesco, Super Value and probably plenty more stores as well. If you're in Galway, you can get it at the market on saturday. Enjoy it, but it really turns my tummy

Really? I have never seen real homemade butter at Tesco, SuperValu et al. Sure you get the commercial stuff, but never anything that's been made from pure fatty milk.

• Advertisement

OP - tell you what. If you can source the milk & get it to me, I will very happily make butter/yoghurt/whatever for us both & bring your share of it back to you. If that's an idea you'd be interested in PM me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Heres a link to a local producer close to me here. If you contact them, they will tell you where you can buy their produce close to you.

http://www.cuinneog.com

Thanks for that link. Looking on it though, the closest retailer to Co. donegal selling their products would be dunnes in sligo town (unless tesco has it, but even that is sligo/letterkenny)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭swillybabe

the home made butter that u get in tesco and the likes is comercially produced and not what i'm after. Its not the real mccoy! will pm u ayla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There's a farm shop about a mile before Ramelton on the letterkenny side, everything comes from the local farms, so they might sell it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement