Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Monday

Options
  • 09-09-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Is it all it's cracked up to be? Any do's or donts?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Don't skip your lectures! Puts the lecturers in a bad mood ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Don't die from alcohol poisoning.. Other than that, enjoy, sounds like great craic.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Enjoy yourself. You'll only ever have one first day in college so you may as well have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Does anybody actually suit up? Am I going to be the only sack there that shows up in a suit? :-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's not a thing... you probably will be, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Yeah okay, forget about it then! Our mentors told us to suit up but other people said it's bull****..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The chances of a first year arts student getting a bad rep from not turning up to a lecture are slim, it's unlikely the lecturer would recognise you either way.

But if you go in to the next one and ask some stupid fúcking question that was covered in the last lecture, then you're screwed :)

I'm going to go to my lecture (9am....), sort out stuff that needs to be sorted, then head to the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I went to all my lectures last year on BM, and they were pretty much jam packed full all day... Im going to skip my last classes if I can find someone to hang out with this year, but otherwise ill be there... /foreveralone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Do we need the band if we want to go out tonight? Will I be stopped at the door or just be asked to pay?

If I do need it, anyone know where I can get one after 7pm today?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

muffinz wrote: »
    I went to all my lectures last year on BM, and they were pretty much jam packed full all day... Im going to skip my last classes if I can find someone to hang out with this year, but otherwise ill be there... /foreveralone

This could be you
    Had%2BAwesome%2BHouse%2BParty%2B
    %2BOn%2BSims.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Went to all my lectures and labs. Hit the student bar after 4'ish and seen quite a load of people stumbling around the place locked. Heading into town later myself with a few from my class. Should be a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

black monday is unbelievable craic. didnt go in first year but been at them all since. its class way reunite with pals after the summer. straight into a messy session. don't orry about the lectures. most people will go to the lectures anyway so you wont be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Never understood the point of this. Id much prefer to get locked in a mates gaff where the only drunk people are us, and not random strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

triseke wrote: »
    Never understood the point of this. Id much prefer to get locked in a mates gaff where the only drunk people are us, and not random strangers.

Have you ever been to a nightclub?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a nightclub?:pac:
    Wah, I wouldn't go to a club if someone paid me.
    Over priced drinks, deafening music, and if you're a female, the added delight of crippling shoes and having your ass grabbed by drunken idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Siuin wrote: »
    Over priced drinks, deafening music, and if you're a female, the added delight of crippling shoes and having your ass grabbed by drunken idiots.

the-absolute-best-of-the-anti-joke-chicken-meme.jpg?version=1306364433000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'll rephrase the question, have you ever been to a good nightclub? I've never seen any of the above in the more higher end Dublin clubs. Generally lads are lads but won't take it too far (Which can't be said for the super clubs in the likes of Ibiza or Magaluf if you've been there) I've always found Irish venues to be good crack and I certainly wouldn't see any value or enjoyment if a night out was just a gaff. You'll meet no one that way.

If you think Dublin's drinks are over priced, a shot of Jager (NOT a Jager bomb) is €15 in Privilege in Ibiza. A bottle of San Miguel (The small one) is €12. Tp top this off, they won't give you a re-entry stamp (Having paid maybe €40 for entry)

To be fair to Dublin clubs, €10 for 3 Jagers Bomb is quite reasonable considering most people get trashed before they arrive, complain about the door price and then leave having bought nothing and drank the naggen they snook in the door. They are business's and do have to turn a profit. There is a premium on the price but they are far from ripping people off.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'll rephrase the question, have you ever been to a good nightclub? I've never seen any of the above in the more higher end Dublin clubs. Generally lads are lads but won't take it too far (Which can't be said for the super clubs in the likes of Ibiza or Magaluf if you've been there) I've always found Irish venues to be good crack and I certainly wouldn't see any value or enjoyment if a night out was just a gaff. You'll meet no one that way.

If you think Dublin's drinks are over priced, a shot of Jager (NOT a Jager bomb) is €15 in Privilege in Ibiza. A bottle of San Miguel (The small one) is €12. Tp top this off, they won't give you a re-entry stamp (Having paid maybe €40 for entry)

To be fair to Dublin clubs, €10 for 3 Jagers Bomb is quite reasonable considering most people get trashed before they arrive, complain about the door price and then leave having bought nothing and drank the naggen they snook in the door. They are business's and do have to turn a profit. There is a premium on the price but they are far from ripping people off.

To be fair, what college student can afford a 'high end' club in Dublin? Personally I prefer to meet people through sports and societies where you can actually hear what they're saying and get to know them (without having to freeze your ass off in the smoking area). It's not much comfort to a broke student to hear that yes, Dublin's drinks are outrageous, but they're MORE outrageous in X, Y, X. I really don't think clubs are for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

To be fair, what college student can afford a 'high end' club in Dublin? Personally I prefer to meet people through sports and societies where you can actually hear what they're saying and get to know them (without having to freeze your ass off in the smoking area). It's not much comfort to a broke student to hear that yes, Dublin's drinks are outrageous, but they're MORE outrageous in X, Y, X. I really don't think clubs are for everyone.

Your quite right, Soc's and Sports are a great way to meet people. Couldn't agree more. You'll form friendships that you'd never make over a drunken conversation. However, I've found (being someone not heavily involved in night clubs initially) that you do miss out in a big way. It is a part of college, like it or not (And I'd still not be the greatest fan, even though I love dance music)

I'm not loaded and I never mind parting with €20 or less for a nightout. You'd spend that in an off license for a gaff. Yesterday, Black Monday, I spend €10 total. Thats there and home. You don't have to drink either. In fact I rarely drink and always have a great time. I'd challenge anyone to have a sober night, every once in a while.

As for High End, I don't mean €40 entry on the door :) More along the lines of out of Temple Bar and town in general. Harcourt St would be more my scene and I wouldn't put the word rip off in the same sentence.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Your quite right, Soc's and Sports are a great way to meet people. Couldn't agree more. You'll form friendships that you'd never make over a drunken conversation. However, I've found (being someone not heavily involved in night clubs initially) that you do miss out in a big way. It is a part of college, like it or not (And I'd still not be the greatest fan, even though I love dance music)

I'm not loaded and I never mind parting with €20 or less for a nightout. You'd spend that in an off license for a gaff. Yesterday, Black Monday, I spend €10 total. Thats there and home. You don't have to drink either. In fact I rarely drink and always have a great time. I'd challenge anyone to have a sober night, every once in a while.

As for High End, I don't mean €40 entry on the door :) More along the lines of out of Temple Bar and town in general. Harcourt St would be more my scene and I wouldn't put the word rip off in the same sentence.

I really don't think that clubs are a necessary part of the college experience- that's why there's a huge array of other activities available. I stopped bothering with clubs in 1st year and never felt as if I was missing out on anything other than a hangover. €20 for one night out can be pretty steep for someone who only gets 50e a wekk which needs to pay for groceries and transport. Of course college is about having a good time, but what constitutes a good time varies a lot depending on who you ask.

Advertisement