Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin of the term "Gurrier"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

kabakuyu wrote: »
    An old Aunt of mine in Dublin was very fond of the word "guttersnipe"

No doubt a bit of a "quare one";)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Degsy wrote: »
    "a blackguard"
    The lowly member of the household staff responsible for minding the pots and pans when the family moved residences, I think.
    carolmon wrote: »
    don't forget "get" or if you did something really bad you were called "a get's get"

god only knows what they mean
    Get is a variant of git and is the Anglo-Saxon for "bastard", or offspring generally. It's related to the verb "beget".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Cheers for all the replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

My friend teaches English to foreigners in Dublin. He regularly gets asked questions like "Teacher, what does 'Ask me bollox' mean?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

My friend teaches English to foreigners in Dublin. He regularly gets asked questions like "Teacher, what does 'Ask me bollox' mean?"

Your friend should answer them by asking them if they know the 5 Lamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Then of course there was a "head the ball","a blackguard",a "caffler",a "chissler" and a "spunker".

I've heard "blaguard" but never "blackguard".

I've heard "blaguard" but never "blackguard".
    They're pronounced the same. "Blaguard", "blaggard" etc is "Blackguard" written phonetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Armed robbers are sometimes referred to as blaggers.....

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Different origin. From the French verb "blague", meaning to joke or tell tall tales > to gain something by deceit > to rob.

I remember whilst hunting Gicknas to be ever watchfull for the Gotchie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

We've got "gowlers" in Waterford, not disimmilar sounding. The word with out the "-er" means something far more offensive! But, I can remember people either being called a "gowler" (i.e. a messer) or saying "I'm only gowling with you" i.e. "I'm only messin' with ya!"

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    We've got "gowlers" in Waterford, not disimmilar sounding. The word with out the "-er" means something far more offensive! But, I can remember people either being called a "gowler" (i.e. a messer) or saying "I'm only gowling with you" i.e. "I'm only messin' with ya!"

Here we call them "Bowelers"..although they may also have unpleasant "growlers"...you might also be told to "ask me gowl" on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

We used to have "grushee's" or a " grushee" (singular).

This was when money was thrown to the local kids outside the church on a wedding day. Normally by the best man/grooms man.

Usually led to bedlam from said kids I may add.

Ya dont see it happen very often any more.. H&S I presume.

chef wrote: »
    We used to have "grushee's" or a " grushee" (singular).

This was when money was thrown to the local kids outside the church on a wedding day. Normally by the best man/grooms man.

Usually led to bedlam from said kids I may add.

Ya dont see it happen very often any more.. H&S I presume.

They would often end in a "Milly-Up",unfortunatley.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

They would often end in a "Milly-Up",unfortunatley.

Haha Indeed they would, blood and snot and tears. Not to mention kids climbing over parked cars etc......no wonder they stopped them.

chef wrote: »
    Haha Indeed they would, blood and snot and tears. Not to mention kids climbing over parked cars etc......no wonder they stopped them.

It was okay as long as somebody was "keeping sketch".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Esel wrote: »
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Different origin. From the French verb "blague", meaning to joke or tell tall tales > to gain something by deceit > to rob.
    A bit of a stretch there, if you will pardon the pun. Blaggers in the sense that I gave the term are far from conmen, and closer to blackguards.

I have, however, blagged my way through a few meetings in my time.... :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Owen McGinty

Any relation to "guerrier" (Fr. warrior)?

The word “gurrier” is a misspelling of a word used in the West of Ireland, “gorier” for a hatching hen. The Irish word for “hatch”, as used in reference to hatching birds, is “gor”. The translation of, “the hen is hatching” is “tá and cears ar gor”. The word is pronounced, “gorrier”, with the“o” sounding as the “o” in the irish word, gorm (blue) or poll (hole). In view of its derivation, this might be a more appropriate spelling. The “u” spelling is the result of the Dublinworking class, known as the “Dub” accent which has a tendency to pronounce the“o” as a “u” sound, for example, world is pronounced wurld, working ispronounced wurking, etc.

A rapid “Dub” accentinterruption for an explanation would often consist of, whah, whah whah, whah’sthah, whah’s thah, and would sound like the bock, bock sound of a hatching hen.

Advertisement