Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Prospects 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Stunning from Tromso January 30,2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Picture took from Alberta Canada yesterday morn.
    olivier1.jpg

Heres a link to the guys website for more stunning photos
    http://odutrephotography.photoshelter.com/gallery/Aurora-Borealis-12-March-2012/G0000VgjadOWcPbM/P0000ZyZu8WspqSs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I just got an alert just now.

Look like its a bit late.

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Ovation_Europe.png

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Damn those clouds!!:mad::mad::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

I was out the garden tonight and the sky was green and pink, was this the aurora? it wasn't moving its was just like colour in the sky it was like a feint aurora.. In Limerick by the way

Aurora tonight in Donegal. Very Feint.
    6842504664_df8d1be6aa_z.jpg

6842504178_074b146765_z.jpg

6842503198_9e33a98fb6_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

muckish wrote: »

Nice Pics, what town is that?

Pangea wrote: »

Nice Pics, what town is that?

Last one is Portsalon, from Knockalla. First 2 from Ballyhiernan bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks
    Do you have to go to the very edge of the north coast to see the aurora or is it visible further inland?

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Do you have to go to the very edge of the north coast to see the aurora or is it visible further inland?

Tonight, it was difficult to see from near Letterkenny, so headed further north to the coast. It wasn't a very active night tonight, so you would see more inland on a "Storm" level night I presume. How far inland are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Don't know how long this has been on RTE so apologies if it's been posted already, lovely images of the aurora over Northern America from the ISS.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0318/media-3231551.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Was just about to ask was that knockalla, one of the most spectacular spots Iv'e been in Ireland. Class photos! Still patiently waiting for a viewing opportunity in Wexford, prospects are good judging by recent activity. :)

Aurora was visible last night from the North Coast. Didn't get to see it myself, but some nice photos on spaceweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Don't know how long this has been on RTE so apologies if it's been posted already, lovely images of the aurora over Northern America from the ISS.

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0318/media-3231551.html

Sometimes the Thanks button just isn't enough! I found this spectacular, it gave me butterflies! I love the last bit too, all those cities lighting up the globe, really amazing - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Aurora was visible last night from the North Coast. Didn't get to see it myself, but some nice photos on spaceweather.com

Nice pics alright. Went out for a look 2.am for a while but nothing seeing down this far.
    Seen a big bright shooting star which itself was worth being outside for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

why cant there ever be loads of solar flares when we have good weather :)

Sunspot 1429 is about to make a reappearance after transitting the far side of the sun. It has the potential to be geoeffective again. This is the region that caused geomagnetic storms after a X5 flare earlier this month. Fingers crossed the skies will be clear this time around.

Went out to view potential aurora on Thursday 12th, as the IMF had tilted strongly south and the solar winds speeds were high. So out in optimism to Horn Head.

7072383227_61ccc1e06e_z.jpg
    Aurora with setting Venus and satellite track

6926305496_fa31df40f2_z.jpg

Yes there was an aurora but a bit of a dull green glow on the horizon. Packed up the gear into the car when suddenly everything burst into life around midnight. Shafts of light, curtains, lateral movement, greens & reds. Beautiful...
    6926304462_dca0502a05_z.jpg

6926303778_39c4f8582e_z.jpg

Yes I was a happy camper! Cold but happy
    7072380041_c4ec088f45_z.jpg

Panorama of aurora last night from Horn Head, Co.Donegal

6927246078_f48e061eaa_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Stunning pictures Muckish
    Proper, full on Aurora

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

such a shame we cant see skies like that over the whole of the country, ive always wanted to see the Aurora with my own eyes, I think the northern coasts of Ireland is about as far south as it will ever travell. Has the Aurora ever been visible over Meath and Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Gonzo wrote: »
    such a shame we cant see skies like that over the whole of the country, ive always wanted to see the Aurora with my own eyes, I think the northern coasts of Ireland is about as far south as it will ever travell. Has the Aurora ever been visible over Meath and Dublin?

The one from thursday night was seen in Mayo but generally the kp index would need to 6 or above for it to be seen in Meath/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Travel and see them... its worth it...
    Next year is peak year too

Oh and while they can be nice seen from Ireland, seeing them right overhead going nuts is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Yes. October and November 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Northern%20Lights%2030Oct2003%20James%20Connolly.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Edwin.. is that Benevenagh, taken from Eglinton / Greysteel?

Edwin.. is that Benevenagh, taken from Eglinton / Greysteel?

nope its benbulben co. sligo 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

can you see it like that with the naked eye or is it only showing up in photos.
    i was with a mate who was pointing out the aurora to me. all i could see was a very very faint glow. he took a picture and it looked like the pics in this thread, but to the naked eye there was hardly anything to be seen.

• Advertisement

yes you could see it with the naked eye that evening i was stanidng outside and waves if green light in the sky, remember it well.

Advertisement