Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Prospects 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

woohoo!!! pics to follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

IanCar is reporting on Facebook he's seeing them from North of Dublin!

Too cloudy here in Tyrone :(

Nothing over Athlone - if the wife goes to sleep early, I might take a spin as far north as I can get to try and catch a glimpse ;)

taken from hollywood great (south east a few kms from the naul)

8068437898_3a19a3a0b6_z.jpg
    aurora borealis by jbredrebel, on Flickr

8068438074_06cca784c7_z.jpg

8068445471_70dc30b56f_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Went to to look for the dracnoid meteor shower and thought i seen them, very very faint.
    Bit surprised as the kp was 6 earlier after the cme hit but only kp2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice few Meteor's over Castlebar tonight in very clear skies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cant see anything here:( just usuall black sky with stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I can see a faint glow to the north, there's a very long stretch of cloud slowly crossing the north so hopefully when that leaves it will be easier to see.

Gonzo wrote: »
    cant see anything here:( just usuall black sky with stars.

it's hard to see with the naked eye... do you have a camera that you can set to a 20-30 second exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The red was a lot redder and thicker 30 minutes ago :(

pmapN.gif

couple more...

8068535964_fa5f708f02_z.jpg

8068540405_36f7a803c6_z.jpg

8068536924_e8f047af42_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Woooooo!!!! WHat a night!!!

Crap compression rate , hi res on flickr soon! buT here we goo!!

Aurora and A Draconid Meteor ( right ) and plane taking off ( left )

BUZZING! :D

304377_10151262517046718_197143721_n.jpg

Getting there slowly but surely ! :)

8068735627_26c5111ca5_z.jpg

8068761622_b0ecd767c2_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

Well done, Ian. Brilliant shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 flaviu

Any chance to see it tomorrow night? Anyone got any idea when would be the best time? (from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I doubt you'll see it tomorrow. They appear in Ireland but rarely. You need to follow the various online alert systems. Then you also need clear skies and no light pollution to the north. Seeing them from Dublin aint the easiest.

I'l have to do an all nighter some night, Kp went over storm level in the middle of the night. Over 7Kp!
    Looks clear tonight according to met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Thanks for the tips here last night. I was chuffed to get a glimpse of them.

Only barely visible to the naked eye but I managed to photograph them from Laois :eek:. I will post some photographs tonight.

Can't believe how long this storm is going on for!!! , KP reached 7.6 last night!!!

Would of loved to have had been watching from dusk to dawn!

223716.png

I doubt itll continue into tonight but if it does skies look set to clear once again! :)

Working on my short time lapse now... shall be up soon :)

• Advertisement

A short timelapse from last night's Aurora :) . Only good to watch in HD!!
    Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

B08D95EC99224501BBD6B42F7A3633F6-0000345914-0003037917-00800L-B4239BF44DCF451D9A5FAE3D47977A6D.jpg
    One from last night at The Irish Trader in Baltray with the Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Iancar29 wrote: »

Where abouts did you record this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

is this viewable tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Oct 8th

8072080993_53d852199b_b.jpg

Only visible tonight in the NOrth if any clear spots occur.. KP not high enough though BZ component is good ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

223812.jpg

Overnight on October 4-5, 2012, a mass of energetic particles from the atmosphere of the Sun were flung out into space, a phenomenon known as a coronal mass ejection. Three days later, the storm from the Sun stirred up the magnetic field around Earth and produced gorgeous displays of northern lights. NASA satellites track such storms from their origin to their crossing of interplanetary space to their arrival in the atmosphere of Earth.

Using the “day-night band” (DNB) of the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS), the Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (Suomi NPP) satellite acquired this view of the aurora borealis early on the morning of October 8, 2012. The northern lights stretch across Canada’s Quebec and Ontario provinces in the image, and are part of the auroral oval that expanded to middle latitudes because of a geomagnetic storm.

The DNB sensor detects dim light signals such as auroras, airglow, gas flares, and reflected moonlight. In the case of the image above, the sensor detected the visible light emissions as energetic particles rained down from Earth’s magnetosphere and into the gases of the upper atmosphere. The images are similar to those collected by the Operational Linescan System flown on U.S. Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) satellites for the past three decades.

Auroras typically occur when solar flares and coronal mass ejections—or even an active solar wind stream—disturb and distort the magnetosphere, the cocoon of space protected by Earth’s magnetic field. The collision of solar particles and pressure into our planet’s magnetosphere accelerates particles trapped in the space around Earth (such as in the radiation belts). Those particles are sent crashing down into Earth’s upper atmosphere—at altitudes of 100 to 400 kilometers (60 to 250 miles)—where they excite oxygen and nitrogen molecules and release photons of light.

The results are rays, sheets, and curtains of dancing light in the sky.

Auroras are a beautiful expression of the connection between Sun and Earth, but not all of the connections are benign. Auroras are connected to geomagnetic storms, which can distort radio communications (particularly high frequencies), disrupt electric power systems on the ground, and give slight but detectable doses of radiation to flight crews and passengers on high-latitude airplane flights and on spacecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Iancar29 wrote: »

Very nice, where did you shoot this. Good quality considering the city lights...

Also very nice work from a Galway photographer
    http://spaceweather.com/gallery/indiv_upload.php?upload_id=72436

KP will be over four in forty five minutes. Might be worth staying up for, the minute I go to bed usually the aurora goes into storm level!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Plenty of good pics on the Donegal Weather Channel on facebook, looks like it was a great show

Were they visible last night without a camera? Only seen them once about 10 years ago with the naked eye in Donegal, heard a few people say they were visible last night but most photos I've seen look like they've had long exposure

Advertisement