Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Prospects 2012

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Green glow now on the northern horizon lookin from ballyboughil

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Lashing rain and total cloud now.
    Was definitely northern lights though nowhere near like when I saw it from Norway years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Kp 7 now but god dam cloudy out.
    Anyone up north with clear skies see anything?
    Davaeo09 there may be a chance but,if its clear out then look north.
    Cloudy here so cant check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

lolie wrote: »
    Kp 7 now but god dam cloudy out.
    Anyone up north with clear skies see anything?
    Davaeo09 there may be a chance but,if its clear out then look north.
    Cloudy here so cant check.
    All clouds here. Camera picking up feint green but nothing really worth talking about thus far due to clouds. Good crowd out here in ballyliffin in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

im at 54 north, with Ballina north of me . have a slight green glow (30 second exposure) cant realy make it out with the naked eye.

8565817787_484cc8f77b_c.jpg
    IMG_5898 by 1000john, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Is this still happening, worth taking a spin out to darkness to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Can't really get much here as the city lights to the North are getting in the way. Still, a very clear night, good for any stargazers out there.

Wow just wow! Was given an amazing 10 minutes show in Donegal, the photo's don't do justice at all, the massive pillars of light were just..... wow. The clouds cleared at just the right time too. I'm still buzzing. Will post up a few photo's in 5 minutes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Well that we comical..

Got home from work and grabbed the mother (staying with us tonight) and Mrs S and threw them into the car with the prospect of seeing the lights...got to our vantage point in the Naul and boom...heavy sleet :o

Their faces...priceless :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

John mac wrote: »
    im at 54 north, with Ballina north of me . have a slight green glow (30 second exposure) cant realy make it out with the naked eye.

8565817787_484cc8f77b_c.jpg
    IMG_5898 by 1000john, on Flickr

Great pics, I'm near enough to you, starry night here, but not even a faint hint of the lights. :(

Pic's not great but hey it's one thing ticked off my list :D

8566371971_3c531d7d5d_c.jpg

8567493440_aee2d0fd3e_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 babacrowe

Photo: Owen Anderson
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/885857_10151400940243985_805995552_o.jpg
    Fantastic shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

From Horn Head, Co.Donegal Last night. Great display.

Great photos and videos folks, what time was it when ye seen the lights?
    The cloud cleared here about 11 just as the kp dropped and the IMF went north.

Some good pics on spaceweather.com
    http://spaceweather.com/gallery/index.php?title=aurora&title2=lights

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Great to see Inishowen included on Spaceweather's collection. Makes me wish I'd hit the road when the CME occurred! Thanks to everyone for the wonderful pics and running commentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nrobba86

Hey guys! Stumbled onto this thread and although might not be relevant at this point I'll share :)
    For those that would like it explaining I've written a piece on whats required for Aurora Borealis displays, referring to IMF, Plasma density from solar wind, geolatitude required yada yada :)

http://www.natalia-robba.com/myblog/travel/the-aurora-borealis-the-northern-lights-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Very faint aurora as seen from Downhill on the North Coast tonight.

6GJwsud.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

PITY THE CLOUD FORECAST IS CRAP AS PER USUAL !

A Geomagnetic Storm watch has been issued by NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center for early on April 13th as a Coronal Mass Ejection is expected to sweep past Earth. Moderate G2 Level with a chance for Strong G3 Level Storming will be possible at high latitudes. Sky Watchers should be alert for visible aurora once the cloud arrives.

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G2 Predicted
    Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
    Apr 11: None (Below G1) Apr 12: None (Below G1) Apr 13: G2 (Moderate)
    Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
    Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
    Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
    Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
    Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Extra information from The Solar Influences Data Analysis Center (SIDC) in Belgium.

The M6.5 flare of today was accompanied by a full halo CME first
    detected in the SOHO/LASCO C2 field of view at 07:24 UT. The CME plane-of-the-sky linear speed was around 930 km/s (the second-order fit showed deceleration from around 1160 km/s to 800 km/s as the CME progressed through the C2 and C3 fields of view). The corresponding interplanetary disturbance is expected to arrive at the Earth in the morning of April 13. Due to the position of the CME source region (Catania sunspot group 43, NOAA AR 1719) close to the solar disk center (around N09E12), the arrival of the magnetic cloud is possible, even if the CME presented a strong asymmetry of the material distribution towards the east. If present, the magnetic cloud will most probably have left-handed chirality, with WSE or NWS magnetic field orientations. The occurrence of a strong geomagnetic storm (K index around 7) will be probable. The proton flux at energies above 10 MeV crossed the SEP event threshold around 10:00 UT and is still rising at the time of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just got an aurora alert from http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/
    Forecast: Auroral activity will be high. Weather permitting, highly active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Tromsø, Norway to as far south as Sundsvall, Sweden and Arkhangelsk, Russia, visible low on the horizon from Edinburgh and Valga, Estonia.

So if visible in Scotland there maybe a chance to see them at low lattitudes.

• Advertisement

CME Update
    We are awaiting the arrival of an expected Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) past the ACE Spacecraft and then eventually past Earth. The arrival could be detected at anytime within the next several hours. Low energy proton levels continue to gradually increase as per the Electron, Proton, and Alpha-particle Monitor (EPAM) on board the ACE Spacecraft [DATA]. This type of ramp up is common as an approaching interplanetary shock nears.

No hope of clear skies tonight if it had arrived anyway.
    Surely any effect's of it will be over by tomorrow night even if we get clear skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I'm in Meath and saw flashes of white, red and I think slight greeny looking colours in the sky. Intermittently, were these glimpses of the aurora or just lightning? I didn't know there was to be an aurora tonight in America n my first thought was aurora but I said I was mad and it must be lightning.
    Any ideas on what I saw?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The light of the full moon might cause some light polution though. If it isn't clouds it's the fookin moon.

Another aurora alert:

Forecast: Auroral activity will be high. Weather permitting, highly active auroral displays will be visible overhead from Tromsø, Norway to as far south as Sundsvall, Sweden and Arkhangelsk, Russia, visible low on the horizon from Edinburgh and Valga, Estonia.
    Solar event on the west limb of the sun appears to have been large enough to produce significant auroral activity on the evening of the 25th for viewers in southern Canada and the northern tier of the United States. The weather looks overcast for most of the region, but there may be clearing enough tonight.

Solar wind
    speed: 644.4 km/sec
    density: 1.6 protons/cm3

Planetary K-index
    Now: Kp= 4 unsettled
    24-hr max: Kp= 5 storm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

wont see it in ireland - its gonna piss rain all night :)

Some great pics on the link below of the Aurora Australis, a lesser-known cousin of the Aurora Borealis,as captured by Tasmanians

http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/17441475/tassie-aurora-sets-off-shutter-frenzy/

Advertisement