Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indexing of Bicycle Gears

Options
  • 09-09-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

In an effort to figure out how the gearing works on my 24 (3 x 8) speed racer, I watched some You-tube videos and got stuck in. I started with back derailleur, I temporarily removed front derailleur to limit distracting noises. I removed chain and set high and low screws and then set B screw so that rear derailleur cog came no closer than 6 mm from cassette, as recommended for my Sram Apex rear derailleur. I attached chain, attached cable and top gear ran perfectly. I clicked Shifter and went down through gears, while adjusting cable tensioner where necessary. However when I tried going back up through gears the chain wouldn't go on to top gear (smallest sprocket). I tried all over again a few times, but each time could only go from gear 1 - 7 or else gear 2 - 8.
    I presume that my problem is that I had no front derailleur fitted and therefore was on same front sprocket throughout my trials. Is this the case? If so, which gears on back should I be able to achieve with each of my 3 front sprockets??

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement