Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Emergency

Options
  • 09-09-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, Please can someone help. I cant seem to turn off the immersion. The switch beside the boiler seems stuck. Does anyone know how to turn this off manually?? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

switch it off at the fuseboard. flick the circuit breaker off

6130540905_0645869ec3.jpg
    circuit breaker by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

yep, as John said, switch off at main fuse board, if the electricians did their job properly it should say which trip switch turns off what in the house. In our place (Charlesland Wood), it's circuit breaker number 6 and it's on it's own i.e. switching it off won't affect anything else in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Cheers lads. Ended up forcing the switch, think i may have broke it the light is no longer coming on..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Decks79 wrote: »
    Cheers lads. Ended up forcing the switch, think i may have broke it the light is no longer coming on..

Did you look at the fuseboard ? Maybe you have tripped the circuit breaker by forcing the switch in the hotpress. The usual cause of the immersion switch becoming "stuck" is heat. Maybe a loose connection. Time to get it looked at by an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I had the exact same problem and had to force the switch too. The electrician told me it was a result of the wiring in the switch not being secured correctly and it overheated.
    We replaced it with a control unit that allows time settings. Its a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Decks79

Thanks guys. It didnt trip so it must be a problem with the switch so will need an electrician i think. Can anyone recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Sent you a PM Decks

Advertisement