Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upstairs smoking room in pub.

Options
  • 09-09-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a putting a dedicated smoking area into a pub. We have a good sized bar and we considered shaving some space from lounge (used to be yard that was roofed in). So basically remove the roof, and it becomes a smoking area. Partner is not too keen as we are essentially cutting bar in half, and loosing floor space. Alternative idea is to leave roof,open stairs up to the public and turn 'roof' into smoking area/bar.... Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? I personally think a comfortable smoking area is a plus (I am a smoker ;) ) partner is not convinced that it will add any value to business..would the fact that its 'upstairs' put punters off?? . Our biggest competitor has a beer garden/smoking area...so I feel we need to do something...
    Ideas/advice welcome...
    thanks
    eamor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cloonton

The smoking areas I always found attractive had been pimped out- nice decking and seating, heat and shelter, not a keg in sight, a tv and a couple of plants and decent lighting, perhaps. I'd say you need to go for all or nothing with this. What I've described above will attract some smokers, but is it worth the cost? I've never refused to frequent a pub cos of poor facilities for smokers, tbh.
    Re putting the smoking area upstairs, would this affect your insurance? Sounds like a nice solution if you can do it, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Have you considered the possibility of planning issues? I know my local authority don't take kindly to the idea of rooftop smoking.
    The pubs in my area which built dedicated smoking areas are doing the best business. Possibly this is an indication of proactive management.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Beano1

Matt the Millars in Kilkenny has one upstairs...nicely done and keeps the customers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Hey look i think you have missed the point

Its like a furniture store opening a cafe for convenience for the customers so they can crab a quick cup of tae,
    If your drinking tae your not buying furniture its as simple as that. This idea that u make it comfortable in my eyes for smokers is just unfathomable.
    I was a barman for umteen years, and yes people smoking drink less from my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Hey look i think you have missed the point

Its like a furniture store opening a cafe for convenience for the customers so they can crab a quick cup of tae,
    If your drinking tae your not buying furniture its as simple as that. This idea that u make it comfortable in my eyes for smokers is just unfathomable.
    I was a barman for umteen years, and yes people smoking drink less from my point of view.

That doesn't really hold up. They might drink less but what if they had a choice between two similar pubs side by side and one had a decent smoking area and the other a back door with a few ash trays. Think I know which most smokers would pick.

You could also say the same about having TVs in pubs showing games. Punters spend too long concentrating on football games so no more Sky Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cost of TV €500. Cost of ripping the roof off and other necessary works is a bit higher than that. Plus the planning hassle. If the OP is losing a quantifiable amount of business from a not so decent smoking area, then it may be worth doing the work. However, there are also those who prefer pubs without a cosy smoking area, because it keeps the smokers and non smokers in one area, without the smokers more frequently going away to fill their lungs with the good ole poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Well i still think your missing the point, but we can split hairs on what you think smokers would decide and what i think.

The bottom line is money as goz pointed out, a comfy smoking area can and will cost thousands to refit from as you say a few ashtrays.
    I would like to see you pitch a publican on a fancy smoking area that

A. Will cost him possibly thousands
    B. Will see him lose more money on drink sales but will add comfort to smokers lives

Ive since asked two smokers and they have pointed out that its nice but not a neccessity and wouldnt deter them going into a certain pub because of a fancy smoking area,
    I asked why : There reply was i dont live in the smoking area, i go to a pub to drink and have a social life and fun, i spend 2-4 mins out there etc

Jurys out but i know what i,d do.

Advertisement