Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eligible for Grant, Must I pay Masters course fee?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I have been offered a full time one year Masters which has a fee of €6250, I am eligible for a grant however I am just wondering if the course fee will be covered too??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

The course fee will be covered to the amount of €6270.00

You pay the difference if its higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Thanks dublin daz, couldn't find the info. online!

No problem, I didn't know the amount myself but the fees office sent an email.

They said the grant covers €6270.00

So happy days its 20 euro under for your course!! :)

Do you know if you have to apply to have the fee covered or is it automatically covered if its under the limit?

The colleges will be aware of the limit (€6270) so if fees are below this the local authority will pay the invoiced amount and your fee account cleared.

Usually you send the letter to your fees office. They arrange to invoice the authority and collect payment from them.

Have you received the letter stating you've been awarded the grant?

If so bring this to the student desk or fees office and they will flag your account. They will mark the fees as 'paid' so your balance will go to zero.

Then when they finish processing the batch they send invoices to the local authority / vec.

I know Dublin City Council have a 'backlog' so it won't be possible for them to issue letters confirming the grant. They should have this out in October, unless you applied early on.

If you're waiting on this and have applied, ask them for an acknowledgement letter and show the fees office that.

Once the college know you applied for the grant they will send the invoice there and not expect you to pay.

Sorry for ranting.... The best thing is to send the letter or notify the fees office you will be getting a grant to cover the fees.

Hope that helps, I know I went off on 'one'

• Advertisement

Yeah I get ya! Its the same procedure as with undergraduate courses so basically.

Yup, and just to put your mind at ease, here is the legislation outlining the €6,270. Was using my phone yesterday so couldn't post links.

I found other sites with the figure, but you know........ seeing is believing for me lol

Anyway, here are the rules if you want to have a read, look at the table on page 40.

Otherwise best of luck on the course!

Darren.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

Advertisement