Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking area's in pubs

• 09-09-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Doing a little bit of research for my business. (I have posted this elsewhere also).
    Basically as smokers, would you specifically go to a pub with a dedicated,comfortable,warm smoking area?
    We have a good sized bar and we considered shaving some space from lounge (used to be yard that was roofed in). So basically remove the roof, and it becomes a smoking area. Partner is not too keen as we are essentially cutting bar in half, and loosing floor space. Alternative idea is to leave roof,open stairs up to the public and turn 'roof' into smoking area/bar.... Is it worth it? I personally think a comfortable smoking area is a plus (I am a smoker ;) ) partner is not convinced that it will add any value to business..would the fact that its 'upstairs' put you off?? .Ideas/advice welcome...
    thanks
    eamor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Posting across multiple forums is frowned upon. You've only posted in two so I'm letting it slide but please don't crosspost to any more forums.

On a pesonal note I (when I have the choice) pick pubs for their smoking areas. Being a cigar smoker I tend to be in the smoking area for up to two hours at a time and really want somewhere comfortable to sit, put my drink, not freeze and be out of the wind/rain. Quality smoking venues are rare.

Rooftop are nice areas for smokers, above the street but it must have shelter from both the rain and the sun.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shelter from rain and sun is a must. As for the "roof top" smoking area, have a few "heater lamps" along the wall to keep people warm :D It's a good idea, but before you do this, what sort of smoking area do you have now, and would many people be in it?

Another thing is noise. If the top is open, more noise will spill out, and if nearby a residential area, you may get some complaints. No music does equal no noise, but I'd advise having some noise in the smoking area, even if it was lower than the pub noise. This ensures people will have music, but able to talk, and not give ammo to nearby "houlier than thou" people who'd moan about the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Shelter, heat and a semblence of comfort is a must when I choose a pub for a few drinks. The pubs who haven't really made the effort for smokers, are no longer on my list of social venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I (pretty much) only go to pubs that have smoking areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

biko wrote: »
    I (pretty much) only go to pubs that have smoking areas.
    I too tend just goto smoking areas which has a room next to it that sells drink :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'll always try and give my patronage to establishments that have good smoking areas.Over the last 6 months i've started to drag my mates from their usual haunts to Flannerys on Camden St. Great smoking area,literally through the door on the same level and you're there.

My attention was drawn to this place from a blog by a Forrest UK rep who's over here accompanying Forrest Ireland on a campaign. It looks the business and would certainly make me consider Kilkenny for a weekend away(wife smokes too).

http://www.mattthemillers.com/bar3.asp

I don't work in the bar trade and have no connection to these establishments by the way.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Looks like a small but nice smoking den. I can only assume that the wall behind the photographer is missing inorder to make it a legal smoking area? Bet it fills up really quickly. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement