Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does the water in tides come from?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Was having a bit of a debate in the pub about this the other night. None of us know much about weather, so apologies if it sounds a bit ignorant, but none of us could figure this one out, and Google revealed nothing.

At high tide, where does the water come from? Does it travel half way across the world from an area at low tide?

It couldn't be, cause then it would be travelling at hundreds of miles an hour, but where does it come from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yeah it all moves, like the tide going in and out...

Probably most of it is transported by ocean currents.

It would constantly be following the moon so it never stops moving I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Blisterman wrote: »
    Was having a bit of a debate in the pub about this the other night. None of us know much about weather, so apologies if it sounds a bit ignorant, but none of us could figure this one out, and Google revealed nothing.

At high tide, where does the water come from? Does it travel half way across the world from an area at low tide?

It couldn't be, cause then it would be travelling at hundreds of miles an hour, but where does it come from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The body of water doesn't really move at all.

Take large bowl of water and tilt it back and forth. The water as such doesn't really move that much ...but to the fly on the rim the level seems to rise and fall rapidly :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

What I could never understand is why there is a high tide on the opposite side of the earth to the moon.

It is put down to centrifugal force but I could never follow that.

Here's an explanation but still I don't understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

What I could never understand is why there is a high tide on the opposite side of the earth to the moon.

It is put down to centrifugal force but I could never follow that.

Here's an explanation but still I don't understand it.
    thats a bit complicated alright. I like to think of it in terms of the following analogy (rightly or wrongly):
    Your (you-earth) standing still with your arms (arms=water/tides) by your side. Someone (moon) grabs your right arm and pull you right; your right arm goes flying up in the air because someone is pulling you, your body also moves in that direction but also your left arm doesnt travel with your body and actually goes a little in the opposite direction (this left arm being the high tide on the opposite side of the earth to the moon)

Advertisement