Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question re: Croke Park Agreement

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭fliball123

deise blue wrote: »
    According to Michael Noonan the 3.5 billion will be mostly financed by a combination of spending cuts & taxes.

Enda's promised State of the Nation speech will be eagerly awaited.

Where is he going to cut...??? I mean the public services are already in a sad state..The cpa we cannot touch wage?? where is the margin for this I just dont see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

fliball123 wrote: »
    Where is he going to cut...??? I mean the public services are already in a sad state..The cpa we cannot touch wage?? where is the margin for this I just dont see it?

Middle earners will pay along with small private sector businesses, basically anybody that is trying to get ahead by working hard and playing by the rules will be beat back down by Enda and the talking heads.

I look forward to Endas ego-trip state of the nation address telling us we have to "tighten our belts".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Middle earners will pay along with small private sector businesses, basically anybody that is trying to get ahead by working hard and playing by the rules will be beat back down by Enda and the talking heads.

I look forward to Endas ego-trip state of the nation address telling us we have to "tighten our belts".

Belts are as tight as they can go, next stop for me is stopping the mortgage payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

kceire wrote: »
    303,000 according to April 2011 reports, dont know how many of those are actual union members, although i know 1 for sure that isisnt :D

source
    Not clear if that includes the Civil Service, tho I find it hard to believe almost 80,000 are gone from the public payroll in the last couple of years.
    deise blue wrote: »
    the Unions are hopeful that the promised legislation on mandatory trade union recognition will further increase the density percentage.
    :eek:
    Can't imagine the impact that would have on FDI if it wasn't balanced with something like the removal of the right to strike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not clear if that includes the Civil Service, tho I find it hard to believe almost 80,000 are gone from the public payroll in the last couple of years.

yeah fair enough, it may exclude the CS, ive no way of knowing, so assume the CS has to be added to this number, we now have around 330,000 in employment from the government which includes PS and CS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭andyjo

n97 mini wrote: »
    shows how overstaffed the public service was. There is still plenty of fat to be cut there too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Normally unions head up and organise protests. There have been little to no protests in Ireland over the last 3 years. Could the Croke Park Agreement be as much about keeping the unions from going on the streets and riling up the masses as anything else.

Nobody else seems to be appealing to the masses to get out and protest. If the unions weren't bought off by the CPA they'd most likely be on the streets organising protests. It would even prompt those that don't agree with unions to run parallel protests themselves.

Nobody at all is on the streets now.

Advertisement