Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Dell in Limerick on monday next

Options
  • 09-09-2011 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

FYI

Michael Dell will be speaking at the limerick plant (EMF1) and 12 noon next monday september 12 2011.

all are welcome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

brian_mac wrote: »
    FYI

Michael Dell will be speaking at the limerick plant (EMF1) and 12 noon next monday september 12 2011.

all are welcome :D

Speaking about what?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

any source for this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Explains the crazy amount of landscaping work that has been done on the grounds over the last week or two plus all the new fancy signs, new paths etc.

A fair few quid was spent on all the cosmetic work in preperation for this visit. Guess it is more important to give the impression everything looks new and perfect rather than dwell on all the jobs that were lost there plus all the jobs that were lost in other companies as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Hopefully someone will hop an egg off his head. Too much of a pussy to show up when the redundancies were announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kess73 wrote: »
    Explains the crazy amount of landscaping work that has been done on the grounds over the last week or two plus all the new fancy signs, new paths etc.

A fair few quid was spent on all the cosmetic work in preperation for this visit. Guess it is more important to give the impression everything looks new and perfect rather than dwell on all the jobs that were lost there plus all the jobs that were lost in other companies as a result.

Not as easy to hide the big white empty factory across the road though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

He's some prick. Hope he gets the welcome he deserves:cool:. There is still bad feeling about the way he shut down the Limerick operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm going to be unusually optimistic and guess that he's here to announce some new jobs being created. Wishful thinking I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Our Brian

More than likely jobs gone to the cheapest bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Michael Dell has done nothing to Limerick that any other businessman wouldn't have done to any other city/country in the world. He found someplace else he could earn more money in a more productive manner.

Did people of Limerick care less around 1992/1993 when the news was announced Dell would be moving EMEA operations to Limerick in manufacturing. We were educated, skilled and the country was cheap to do business in.

The Tax ememptions ended, staff costs went up, everything went up and like the early 90's he found someplace else cheaper to do business.

Michael Dell, like most CEO's, will only turn up for a personal visit to announce something. It's like the IDA here, they turn up to announce new jobs but are nowhere to be seen when they have to announce 500+ jobs going.

Ireland is a centre of excellence for Dell because of its IT and operations hubs in Limerick and Dublin(small one in Bray as well). He is possibly announcing a new centre for something(hopefully) but the largely uneducated workforce who worked on the lines still won't get anything from it because they are unskilled labour and these jobs(if any jobs exist) would easily be skilled labour.

The Majority of people become disenfranchised when they hear the world Dell and Limerick but that's (IMO) mainly because they couldn't personally forsee the end of the economic bubble and figured the jobs would be forever or at least, like the good times, there would be other jobs to get if worst came to worst.

Dell isn't exclusive in redundancies, nor is Limerick. People really need to get beyond it. Business is business and because you were on the losing end it doesn't mean the decision by Dell was wrong. I know many many people who lost their jobs. I also still know people who still have their jobs in Dell.

Just so people know. Between 2007-2010 I was made redundant twice and had to work 5 different jobs. I KNOW what it's like out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

He did bring a lot of employment to the area though. Without him a lot of people wouldnt have had any jobs or else would have had to move away from Limerick!

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    He did bring a lot of employment to the area though. Without him a lot of people wouldnt have had any jobs or else would have had to move away from Limerick!

Considering this actually. Had Michael Dell and his cronies not decided to purchase the buildlings then all those AST and old Wang staff would have had nowhere to go and would have pissed and moaned about Wang/AST as well.

Wang were friggin great to their staff as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Our Brian wrote: »
    He's some prick. Hope he gets the welcome he deserves:cool:. There is still bad feeling about the way he shut down the Limerick operation.

The big picture here is that Ireland became far too expensive to have thousands of people standing in a line doing manual assembly. That's not his fault. He has to run a business. Dell are still one of Ireland's largest employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭phog

Well I'd rather see another Dell/Wang/AST/Krups or whatever even though I know that it may disappear in 5, 10 or 15 years than see no jobs being created in the midwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Provide employment for close to twenty years and at the end you get called a prick and a pussy? Why even bother tbh

The entire mid-west knew that day was coming over three years before it happened.

Did people realy think Dell would be in Limerick forever? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Michael Dell has done nothing to Limerick that any other businessman wouldn't have done to any other city/country in the world. He found someplace else he could earn more money in a more productive manner.

Did people of Limerick care less around 1992/1993 when the news was announced Dell would be moving EMEA operations to Limerick in manufacturing. We were educated, skilled and the country was cheap to do business in.

The Tax ememptions ended, staff costs went up, everything went up and like the early 90's he found someplace else cheaper to do business.

Michael Dell, like most CEO's, will only turn up for a personal visit to announce something. It's like the IDA here, they turn up to announce new jobs but are nowhere to be seen when they have to announce 500+ jobs going.

Ireland is a centre of excellence for Dell because of its IT and operations hubs in Limerick and Dublin(small one in Bray as well). He is possibly announcing a new centre for something(hopefully) but the largely uneducated workforce who worked on the lines still won't get anything from it because they are unskilled labour and these jobs(if any jobs exist) would easily be skilled labour.

The Majority of people become disenfranchised when they hear the world Dell and Limerick but that's (IMO) mainly because they couldn't personally forsee the end of the economic bubble and figured the jobs would be forever or at least, like the good times, there would be other jobs to get if worst came to worst.

Dell isn't exclusive in redundancies, nor is Limerick. People really need to get beyond it. Business is business and because you were on the losing end it doesn't mean the decision by Dell was wrong. I know many many people who lost their jobs. I also still know people who still have their jobs in Dell.

Just so people know. Between 2007-2010 I was made redundant twice and had to work 5 different jobs. I KNOW what it's like out there.

You are 100% right in what you say, but I rightly or wrongly feel that certain management there were shoddy at times in how they treated the workers in the run up to the redundancies and afterwards.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You are 100% right in what you say, but I rightly or wrongly feel that certain management there were shoddy at times in how they treated the workers in the run up to the redundancies and afterwards.

Possibly but when you are given a tray of crumbs to split between 1000's of people who want more more more then you are rightly or wrongly going to be chastised for not doing enough.

You know who was the problem. Sean Corkery was a terrible man. Not very many people liked him and people really wanted Ger Clarke to succeed him but he simply wouldn't give up and leave. They did take in a new Director from Modus Media but I cannot remember his name. He was quite good but when the man at the top is a disaster then it trickles down the management tree. Now the weird part. I read this thread at 8:00am this morning after waking up following a dream. I cannot remember the dream but I definately was having a direct conversation with Sean Corkery in my dream and then I see this thread. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Possibly but when you are given a tray of crumbs to split between 1000's of people who want more more more then you are rightly or wrongly going to be chastised for not doing enough.

You know who was the problem. Sean Corkery was a terrible man. Not very many people liked him and people really wanted Ger Clarke to succeed him but he simply wouldn't give up and leave.

that's quite a statement, not nearly enough generalisation /sarcasm!

i always found both Sean Corkery and for what it's worth Nicky Harte, to be very approachable and easy to talk to. i THINK i remember Gerry Clarke was head of Engineering dept, i worked in ESCM for a while, didnt see to much of him and i'd seriously doubt too many knew who he was either.

much of what you say is only hearsay then, two years after closing dowwn and the dell rumor mill is still churning them out.
    They did take in a new Director from Modus Media but I cannot remember his name.

it wasnt Andy Capp Desmond by any chance was it? the guy had no discernable people skills, from what i could garner at the town hall meetings, and when they announced the redundancies. i could be completely wrong though but he just came across as particularly awkward and uncomfortable in his surroundings, more like a pigeon thrown in among the cats.

(if you can picture it- "cooo... fuuuuuu..." :D)
    He was quite good but when the man at the top is a disaster then it trickles down the management tree.

as i previously stated, i didnt think he handled the situation properly at all, while Sean Corkery was handed the lemon that was Lodz, Andy Desmond and Martin Noonan made a complete hames of things after the redundancies were announced, and staff morale took a nose dive!

i got out early in feb '09 before the first wave of redundancies as i knew that staying on til the proverbial REALLY hit the fan was a bad idea. i was more than happy with my redundancy package and with the help, advice and suppport i received from the enterprise board, i set up myself as self employed.

others you might say weren't as lucky, but im a firm believer in making your own luck. i have nothing but contempt for the dell RWA who made some cushty jobs for themselves out of others misery, those who thought "F*CK the system", rather than choose to work with it to maximise their lump sum redundancy.

as far as im concerned, dell went far and above what was required of them and if people had bothered to check what else was in their redundancy letter and tax forms, they were given plenty of seminars from local banks that came into the plant for them to talk about their mortgages and other financial issues and opporunities, dell had FAS come in, many other organisations, and NONE of this was ever highlighted in the media.

a year later, an opportunities fair in the southcourt exclusively for dell employees was held, and that was funded by the 14 billion we got from the EU, had exhibition stands from all the local colleges and the enterprise board, again another opportunity for ex-dell employees, many of whom as has been quite rightly pointed out were unskilled workers, who could have taken the opportunity to upskill their educational qualifications at least.

even now i think of it, UL recently ran a program for ex dell employees called the RED program, designed again exclusively to give ex dell employees the tools to re-enter the workforce in a start-up company. plenty of companies got on board, but they struggled to fill the places on the course, eventually having to take in people that had applied but were not ex-dell. where were any of the 1,900 then?

basically the end point of my post, and i honestly hadnt meant to go on this long, is that it really grinds my gears how even two years later, the same people that used to refer to dell as "dell hell", and used go on about how they'd love to get out of there (my retort was that nobody had bostik on their feet!), these are now the same people that will bítch and moan in the nearest ear about how they were "screwed over" by dell, and how dell "treated them so badly" the way they "just closed up shop and left". no they didnt, employees were given plenty of notice, hell even the dumbest f*ck couldnt have claimed "they never saw it coming" when Lodz had been in the pipeline for at least three years previously! hell at the town hall meetings on a massive projector we were subjected to monthly reports on the progress of the building stages! and they didnt see it coming?

most people walked away from dell with a healthy ball of cash in their back pockets, far better than the redundancy package i got when the CIE Iarnrod Eireann sleeper manufacturing facility closed down in Portlaoise, people back then assumed i must have been minted having been let go from a semi-state company. i was in my árse, there were people there seven and a half years signing six month temporary contracts and we got zilch, nada! the redundancy package dell offered, i couldnt believe the utter greed of some people that wanted me to sign a petition for more money instead of just being grateful for what they got and planning how to maximise it's potential, and their own potential for that matter!

tl;dr- quit bítching, limerick doesnt know how good they had it, nor the opportunities they squandered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fair play on that post xsiborg! Dell wasnt that bad to work in, in all fairness, I really dont know where it got the name of Dell Hell.

xsiborg wrote: »

A little touch of hypocrisy there, no? See below
    it wasnt Andy Capp Desmond by any chance was it? the guy had no discernable people skills, from what i could garner at the town hall meetings, and when they announced the redundancies. i could be completely wrong though but he just came across as particularly awkward and uncomfortable in his surroundings, more like a pigeon thrown in among the cats.

(if you can picture it- "cooo... fuuuuuu..." :D)

I agree with everything else you have said by the way.

I was thinking about this Dell visit and would probably think he was over to talk about "Cloud Computing".

I couldnt think of a proper emphasis BB was all,
    Sean Corkery was a terrible man.

i was fine with this, that'd be a personal opinion.
    Not very many people liked him

this was the generalisation i referred to though, how many is not very many? you and your social group, or was some sort of Tell Dell survey taken that i was not privy to? :D

my opinion of Andy Desmond was my own personal opinion, im sure he didnt get to where he was being a complete numpty, but there is business skills and then there are people skills, and very few people are able to marry the two successfully. that's why while there may be some truth in what you say about Gerry Clarke as Sean Corkery's possible successor, Andy Desmond was the more logical business decision choice, a decision which unfortunately, in my opinion left him feeling out of his depth.

True too actually what you might be thinking about a cloud computing service, Dell in the last few years has moved further away from manufacturing and more and more into storage and services where the mark-up is higher.

The beauty of cloud computing is that the remote host can be located anywhere in the world, and rather than cramp up an office in the IFSC a la google and microsoft, dell has chosen to stay in limerick and work in partnership with UL to satisfy future employment requirements from their graduate program.

it really would be something if one of those UL graduates was one of the 1900, i know a few ex-dell staff that decided to take the opportunity to enroll in UL and some of them are now in second year on various degree courses, my own sister in law is in the second year of a busininess administration certificate course in griffith college, having chosen to turn down a software engineering course that was offered in another college! i mean, people practically had opportunities thrown in their faces! anyone that turned them down surely has no right to be complaining two years later now that their money's run out and they squandered all the opportunities they were given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

People seem to forget the Dell is still one of the largest employers in the City. The new solutions centre will be taking more people and are still taking on people from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

You know who was the problem. Sean Corkery was a terrible man. Not very many people liked him and people really wanted Ger Clarke to succeed him but he simply wouldn't give up and leave.

You'd be well advised to choose your words carefully. You treat this forum as your own personal rumour mill when in fact these are matters of a private business nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I can't find this mentioned anywhere. Is there any links confirming this. Michael Dell is a legend and contributed more to Limerick then most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

i always found both Sean Corkery and for what it's worth Nicky Harte, to be very approachable and easy to talk to.

You obviously didn't "approach" them from the proper angle as the 2nd chap's name is Nicky Hartery.
    As somebody who never worked in the Dell plants ( but would have had a lot of dealings with the company) I would like to point out that Nicky Hartery did his utmost to keep as many jobs in Limerick as he possibly could.There are still well over 1,000 employees here.
    Sean Corkery......like most of us, we tend to look after ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

As someone who currently works there, I can confirm he is speaking in EMF1 on Monday, and in Cherrywood on Tuesday.

I seriously doubt he'll be announcing any new jobs. Dell is in serious cost cutting mode right now due to some budgetary **** up last quarter. I was told a few weeks ago that my job is in jeopardy, and there have already been a huge number of job cuts in the US and Brazil in past few weeks.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't "approach" them from the proper angle as the 2nd chap's name is Nicky Hartery.

pedantic, but thanks for the correction, as i said, "any time i approached him", which was perhaps three or four times in ten years, and it's been nearly two years since i left dell, i didnt keep his number in my phone book! :D
    As somebody who never worked in the Dell plants

thanks for clearing that up, i was beginning to think you WERE Nicky, or Nicholas, if we really have to go there!
    ( but would have had a lot of dealings with the company)

if you dont mind my saying so, but that's as vague as fcuk, i know its meant to imply that you have some sort of insider in-depth knowledge, but in fairness, if my granny bought four computers from dell on four separate occasions, she too could say she had a lot of dealings with dell, at least that'd be her impression anyway, completely disregarding the fact of course that over 20,000 computers were shipped on a daily basis.
    I would like to point out that Nicky Hartery did his utmost to keep as many jobs in Limerick as he possibly could.

Nobody disputed this, but it is also your personal opinion. Another poster could come on and say the complete opposite. Didn't Willy o Dea get a free trip to texas out of it under the pretence that he too was trying to keep as many jobs in Limerick as he could? /sarcasm

Again that's only my personal opinion.

And then you go and say this-
    Sean Corkery......like most of us, we tend to look after ourselves.

more vague as fcuk, as i said earlier- he was handed the lemon that was Lodz, hardly looking after himself as you put it, and if you know him so well, you will know that in his time over there, it was no secret that he became seriously ill, and came back literally half the man he was before he went over, having lost a shedload of weight.

if you remember back in the day, Sean Corkery was one of three owners of Esat Digifone, which when it was sold, he made €65million, he had no need to work another day in his life, but he joined Dell because he liked to work, for him it wasnt about financial gain.

at the time he joined, if you remember, dell limerick was reeling from various scandals involving CMS recruitment company (this is common knowledge and was covered at length in many local papers). the social welfare office were handing out application forms for dell before they'd allow you to sign on, and rumors were rife that dell was hiring ex-convicts released from prison (i found that one hilarious myself!).

the point being that nobody wanted to work there. sean corkery came in and turned around the reputation of dell in limerick, and made it into a thriving and efficient viable prospect to stay in ireland.

had he not done so, dell would have pulled out of ireland long ago, as the one thing that was drilled into us on an almost daily basis was the expression "cost per box". that is, as soon as it became unprofitable for dell to manufacture product in ireland, they would pull out.

it simply came down to a business decision, not a people decision. the market dictated that production in ireland was unsustainable. as far as i can see, this wasn't sean corkery covering his own ass, it was a logical business decision that was made above the heads of sean corkery, or nicky hartery for that matter.

the reason i chose to stay silent on this issue for so long was that as another poster said, feelings at the time were still raw about dell's decision to pull out of ireland. however, it's two years on now and we need to get over it and move on. some of us on here are old enough to remember when Digital pulled out of Galway, it was reminiscent of the scenes when dell closed it's doors, the people of galway thought the city would never recover, but look at it now, a thriving, bustling city.

some people in Limerick just need to move on, dell isnt coming back, at least not in a manufacturing capacity anyway, and those that sat on their hands waiting for it to close down, are now the same people that are sitting on their hands waiting for it's return, only jumping every time they see a headline in the limerick post with the word "Dell" in the headline, when only a couple of pages from the back there are plenty of jobs advertised that they could apply for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

^^^ Quite simply ,only my first point was directed at yourself. If you don't even know the guy's name then please don't call me a pedant, just admit that either you were wrong or had a memory lapse.
    All other points were not directed at you specifically, more towards the whole thread, but your comments are noted.
    Also , if certain people lost some weight while abroad perhaps their own GP's might consider that a healthy direction to go towards.
    And, while some individuals did make quite a lot of money from a certain mobile phone company, there is no guarantee that that money was invested wisely;)

^^^ Quite simply ,only my first point was directed at yourself. If you don't even know the guy's name then please don't call me a pedant, just admit that either you were wrong or had a memory lapse.
    All other points were not directed at you specifically, more towards the whole thread, but your comments are noted.
    Also , if certain people lost some weight while abroad perhaps their own GP's might consider that a healthy direction to go towards.
    And, while some individuals did make quite a lot of money from a certain mobile phone company, there is no guarantee that that money was invested wisely;)

apologies mgbgt if you took my use of the word pedantic as a personal insult, certainly wasnt meant that way.

the rest of your post though, i'd rather not comment on as i feel we could be ripping the árse outta this thread and taking it further OT.

im still sniggering every time i picture this in my head:
    Hopefully someone will hop an egg off his head.

what an image, even better if it was a naked boiled egg! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

There are a lot of people's name being bandied around here by anonymous boards posters, in fairness to these people, the fact that they were senior management in Dell, and known to former Dell employee's does not, in my opinion, entitle posters to drag their name into the public domain.
    Have a bit of common decency.

• Advertisement

my first thought was to send this via PM, but i decided in the interest of openness i'll post it here and hope i dont get infracted for dragging the thread completely off topic.
    jbkenn wrote: »
    There are a lot of people's name being bandied around here by anonymous boards posters, in fairness to these people, the fact that they were senior management in Dell, and known to former Dell employee's does not, in my opinion, entitle posters to drag their name into the public domain.
    Have a bit of common decency.

jbkenn with all due respect, you're long enough on boards even to know there is no such thing as anonimity in the internet. any names mentioned in this thread are already in the public domain having been mentioned numerous times in the media and having acted as spokespersons for dell in the past. they also have profiles on lindedin, dont know if you ever heard of it, but that is also public domain.

i myself was even corrected on a persons name by somebody who, by their own admission, had never even worked in dell. there has been no breaches of confidentiality agreements in my posts, all information is a matter of public record if you'd care to look hard enough.

im also not sure if you are aware of the recent discussions on boards that declared that users are responsible for what they post, and their information can be handed over to the gardai in an investigation shouuld the need arise to do so, say for example in a slander or libel case.

to quote from John Breslin's (owner of boards.ie) own blog:
    We still feel that users are responsible for their own comments (just as someone on the radio [Edit: Andrew says below that radio stations are liable :(] would be responsible for stuff they say, without the communications channel being liable). However, we will happily remove defamatory messages as soon as we are notified of them as they obviously must be deleted, but we'd prefer if these legal proceedings aren't issued as we don't want the actions of a few people to ruin this service for 70,000 others.

the bold emphasis was my own edit.

nice try to speak down from the moral high ground though, you are entitled to your opinion on the common deceny of others, i for one though dont have a problem being held to account for anything i posted, but if you feel that anything i or anyone else posted could be construed as having offended you personally, a helpful tip is to use the "report post" button.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement