Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Dell in Limerick on monday next

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Worked on Line 4 - nearly every section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭skyguy19

Beer Baron wrote: »
    No No you see we have fond memories.

In EMF1 where the systems were on their way to the backend of the lines they used to travels up and down and all over the shop. We stuffed a lad into one of the boxs and put it through the tape machines so the box was essentially sealed. We spotted a boss coming and legged it. He dissapeared off along the lines and, as you can imagine, when we went looking for him we couldn't figure out what box he was in until we saw it moving and shouting(box's don't normally shout).

When EMF1 was being stripped down it was being used like PACO for storage. The lads had made themselves a rounders court and being the good sport I joined in. Again, one of the floor managers came around and we vanished into the maze of boxes. As the lines were all gone the box's were stacked everywhere. Needle in haystack.

I had a red neck cord, yellow neck cord, black neck cord and green neck cord, two pagers and a mobile at one stage towards the end of my sub contracting days YET managed to do sweet FA. :D

Having 30 minutes breakfasts and 1.5 hour lunchs was grand though. If my boss, from across town, wanted to visit he would have to wait until I signed him in. So I always knew where he was.

Watching the old hands on the bus in trick their friend at the bus stop. "Right so sham you have to pay 50c to get the bus, sure you hardly thought the bus was free" only to piss themselves laughing when the bus driver looked at him funny.

Watching guys impatient to get into work(:confused:) climb out the fire exit at the back of the bus and get a bollicking off a bus driver.

Watch the two bus's crash at the exit of Raheen because they were ACTUALLY racing was weird because the window shattered in on a few people when the wing mirror collided half way down our bus.

Ah those were the days.

Everybody from Dell days has Dell stories.

EDIT Oh yeah, in the early days putting a power supply of the wrong voltage in the chassis so when the guys in the testing area plugged them in they got a shock up the arm. :D

no wonder dell pulled out, you couldnt blame them after reading about that carry on,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Beer Baron wrote: »

I was asked by Dec D(as people don't like names anymore) a few times to return but declined.

I doubt anybody on here cares.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

skyguy19 wrote: »
    no wonder dell pulled out, you couldnt blame them after reading about that carry on,

Lighten up man. There's stories like that in every job. But thousands of people came through Dell so there happen to be a lot more than usual.
    And trust me, that wasn't the reason they pulled manufacturing from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

xsiborg wrote: »
    and a cleaner came running out accompanied by two of her mates, shaking she was, i overheard the general gist of it was she'd walked in on three lads up to no good in the one cubicle! :eek:

I remember that. What i heard was 2 were doin the biz and one was shaking hands with the man while watching :lol:

Loads of stories in there. Remember when the 2 lads got fired cos one of them had taken a picture down a girls top, but then the bosses saw more of the pics where she had the nerps out and they realised that she had been posing for them all along. Or the poor chap who turned up in a Rangers top and was nearly murdered down in shipping. He was walking around all day in a vest after being warned to lose the jersey.

There was a rumour that some of the cleaners were doling out head in the lads jacks for money as well but that sounded too far fetched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

skyguy19 wrote: »

no, the reason dell pulled out is because they got massive financial incentives from the polish government to set up there, where dell thought they could pay pittance = PROFITS!!

it didnt quite work out that way though, it actually ended up costing them huge amounts because it was like the stock literally grew legs, people were walking out with stuff to the value of a years wages after a weeks employment. the place was chaos, so dell in an effort to quickly get it off their hands, had to pass over all the grant money they got from the polish government to foxconn, who now occupy the plant, as dell have moved out to china, where they can pay their employees 10 cent a day for the same work they were doing over here at a minimum wage of €8.65 an hour.

simple economics.

stick around though, you sound like a delightful fellow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There was a rumour that some of the cleaners were doling out head in the lads jacks for money as well but that sounded too far fetched.

I heard something similar. Supposed to have been happening on the night shift shorty after EMF3 opened.

FYP, and then it doesnt sound far fetched at all! :D

Aidric wrote: »
    I doubt anybody on here cares.

meeeeoooowww Aidric, you could a least have TRIED to disguise it! saucer of milk for you!! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Ahh..Dell stories! So many to recall! Some of my favourites were:

The fella that used to come in through the double doors of the factory floor,amd the second he was in there he'd drop to his knees, do a "we're not worthy" salute and repeat "Thank You Michael Dell. Thank You Michael Dell". He was from town and all!!

The fella that wanted the canteen TO BE MOVED near to Line 7 because it was "too long of a walk" for him.

The fella that used to dip croissants into his bowl of custard.

The fella that once asked a EMEA head honcho at a town hall meeting "Whats the story with the mice balls in the internet room? They're always getting robbed!"

The fella that would ask to have the obituaries printed off so he could go to all the funerals that evening for the free food in the pub after,regardless whether he knew the person or not.

The fella that once proposed to a line manager with a ring from a barm brack. And subsequently got suspended.

The fella that fired a tape gun at another operator while a tour from Belguim was going around the line.

The fella that fell asleep beside foam inserts one morning and when operators tried to lift him up they found a bottle of vodka in each pocket of his leather jacket weighing him down.

I could go on!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

no, the reason dell pulled out is because they got massive financial incentives from the polish government to set up there, where dell thought they could pay pittance = PROFITS!!

it didnt quite work out that way though, it actually ended up costing them huge amounts because it was like the stock literally grew legs, people were walking out with stuff to the value of a years wages after a weeks employment. the place was chaos, so dell in an effort to quickly get it off their hands, had to pass over all the grant money they got from the polish government to foxconn, who now occupy the plant, as dell have moved out to china, where they can pay their employees 10 cent a day for the same work they were doing over here at a minimum wage of €8.65 an hour.

simple economics.

You're so way off the mark with the Poland, China and the Foxconn remarks that I don't even know what to say. Where do people get this BS from??? :confused:

gloobag wrote: »

simple economics.

You're so way off the mark with the Poland, China and the Foxconn remarks that I don't even know what to say. Where do people get this BS from??? :confused:

any chance you'd care to enlighten me? :|

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

I'll try :)

You are greatly exaggerating the problems Dell had in Poland.
    I don't know where you are getting the stuff about Dell having to give back the grant money.
    Dell still own and run the Poland plant (the planned sale of the plant to Foxconn didn't go through).
    Dell have subcontracted out most of the Notebook manufacturing to Foxconn in China.

any chance you'd care to enlighten me? :|

First of all, have you been to the Polish plant? I have, and I can assure you no one was walking out of there with a years salary worth of stuff under their coat.

When leaving, you have to empty all pockets and walk through a metal detector, then you get a going over with a wand scanner, then you have to open your bag and let security have a look through it, before putting it onto an X-ray machine. You also have to turn your phones screen on, to prove that you're not smuggling anything out in its battery compartment.

Secondly, Foxconn do not occupy the Polish plant. It is still a Dell facility. Foxconn pulled out of that deal months ago.

Dell, also have not moved to China. In fact they were already in China long before they were in Poland. But the Chinese manufacturing that I assume you're refering to isn't done by Dell, it's outsourced to third party vendors, such as Foxconn, Compal, Wistron etc...

gloobag wrote: »
    First of all, have you been to the Polish plant? I have, and I can assure you no one was walking out of there with a years salary worth of stuff under their coat.

When leaving, you have to empty all pockets and walk through a metal detector, then you get a going over with a wand scanner, then you have to open your bag and let security have a look through it, before putting it onto an X-ray machine. You also have to turn your phones screen on, to prove that you're not smuggling anything out in its battery compartment.

Secondly, Foxconn do not occupy the Polish plant. It is still a Dell facility. Foxconn pulled out of that deal months ago.

Dell, also have not moved to China. In fact they were already in China long before they were in Poland. But the Chinese manufacturing that I assume you're refering to isn't done by Dell, it's outsourced to third party vendors, such as Foxconn, Compal, Wistron etc...
    kagni wrote: »
    I'll try :)

You are greatly exaggerating the problems Dell had in Poland.
    I don't know where you are getting the stuff about Dell having to give back the grant money.
    Dell still own and run the Poland plant (the planned sale of the plant to Foxconn didn't go through).
    Dell have subcontracted out most of the Notebook manufacturing to Foxconn in China.

thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dell are still trying to sell the production lines. Apparently they had a deal and it fell through and then they had another, more recent deal, but I don't know how that is going.

I know somebody who is flying back and forth to Poland about the sale of the production everything somebody comes over for a look.

They have lost a lot of money from the Poland blunder I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I still reckon if the economy hadn't shot itself in the foot and wages\costs weren't so bloody high, Dell would still be here, it'd be still trying to sell to foxconn or others though.

I remember that story about the toilet horror show, was on shift that night. always knocked on the door after hearing that story.

Anyone remember the 2 french dolls on the b-shift, one smoked the other didn't but used have a twister lollipop instead, the smoking shed used be packed then and 3/4 of the guys there didn't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

I still reckon if the economy hadn't shot itself in the foot and wages\costs weren't so bloody high, Dell would still be here, it'd be still trying to sell to foxconn or others though.

I remember that story about the toilet horror show, was on shift that night. always knocked on the door after hearing that story.

Anyone remember the 2 french dolls on the b-shift, one smoked the other didn't but used have a twister lollipop instead, the smoking shed used be packed then and 3/4 of the guys there didn't smoke.

Heard that one! Or the girl who our line did this big collection for,and her leaving all teary eyed....only to come back three weeks later.

Seriously though,one morning it was bucketing out of the heavens and a lad was on the step of the smoking shed door, smoking out. Dell head honcho says to him "Fair bad weather isnt it". Yer man was sacked that day for "smoking on the premises,and not in the smoking shed". Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Interesting to see how many co-workers I have here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heard that one! Or the girl who our line did this big collection for,and her leaving all teary eyed....only to come back three weeks later.

Hey there was people who left got the collection 20 grand or so off dell and were back 6 months later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Is it true WANG were setting up a customer care centre in Limerick called "wang care"?

Nah. But you might be thinking of Wayne Kerr Electronics.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nah. But you might be thinking of Wayne Kerr Electronics.

:D
    excellent!

I was just seeing if anyone knew the same urban legend i was getting at there...that "WANG CARE" was about to be set up, and an Irish employee suggested that the name wouldn't work well in Ireland and the UK, and he was called to head office in japan or wherever to explain why "WANG CARE" was funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

HP bashing was the order of the day too when HP and Compaq announced they were joining up, Dell (and many industry "experts" too it has to be said!) poured scorn on the idea, .....

HP/Compaq merger proved everybody wrong and by the time michael dell woke up...

HP/Compaq meanwhile were streaking ahead.

Is this the same HP (incorporating Compaq and Digital) who have just announced they are getting out of the PC market?

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think this means that Dell will be the ONLY major American PC maker left in business.

IBM ditched its PC business years ago.
    Gateway is gone.
    AST is part of Samsung.
    Who's left?

You might say Apple but I don't think PCs are the source of their fortune, either in terms of revenue or share price any more.
    ....Dell were caught well short in the race to try and catch up with the likes of an emerging acer who were blazing a trail and eating up the scraps of market share that dell had scattered.

Now you're talking. The Asian biscuit makers have taken over the PC making industry. With the exception of Dell.

So far.

Did Michael Dell really come all this way just to poke fun at a rival who is selling up and shipping out of the industry? Come on. There has to be more to it than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Kevint30

there is some talk about dell manufacturing smart phones in limerick. probably **** talk. below is a link about michael dells visit and basically what happened.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dell-gives-morale-boosting-talk-to-limerick-workers-167278.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Any truth to the rumours they put a curtain up over the entrance to the production floor so he wouldn't have to look at it?

To be honest even if jobs did come back there, I'd never ever work for them again. Why give them a second chance to **** people over? Same goes for their products, I just wouldn't give them the satisfaction of a single cent of my cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kevint30 wrote: »
    there is some talk about dell manufacturing smart phones in limerick. probably **** talk. below is a link about michael dells visit and basically what happened.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dell-gives-morale-boosting-talk-to-limerick-workers-167278.html

I know a few former production operators(who doesn't) who received their redundancy and in one facebook post they wanted to "give him a smack" yesterday and in another post you could tell they were on the edge of their seat wondering will manufacturing return to Limerick.

1. So they wouldn't have to go to any trouble looking for a job
    2. So the bus would stop outside their front door
    3. They could work with their friends again in the easiest job in the world, in the dell cells. 3 screwdrivers and a few boxes of different sized screws :D

Somebody could tell us. Are there any production lines in this country for the production of these phones? I was aware the production floor is now cubicle heaven.

Seems they can't sell those lines in Poland so I suppose they could bring them back.

But still, honestly, if we are too expensive to build their systems then why would be any better at building smart phones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

B shift signing in.

Vanolder wrote: »
    B shift signing in.

did you swipe your ID badge on the clocking in system? :D

you know, the one that they mssed around with for the guts of five years but could still never properly implement? :rolleyes:

Dell already makes smartphones. They're manufactured in the same third party vendor factories as their computers are. They're ****e by the way (at least compared to the competition). So no, there will be no manufacturing returning to Limerick or Ireland anytime soon.

As for the curtain that was put up, it wasn't to hide the manufacturing lines, as there are none left. They were gutted from EMF1 a very long time ago, the same with EMF3. That's just an empty shell of a building now. Literally nothing left in there. The curtain is put up quite often when guest speakers come in or there's some sort of open day on. I assume it's to make the space seem more intimate and focus peoples attention on the reason they're supposed to be there, instead of looking around at an empty grey warehouse looking building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

did you swipe your ID badge on the clocking in system? :D

you know, the one that they mssed around with for the guts of five years but could still never properly implement? :rolleyes:

Never did swipe in even though we were told to do so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement