Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Dell in Limerick on monday next

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Kevint30 wrote: »
    there is some talk about dell manufacturing smart phones in limerick. probably **** talk. below is a link about michael dells visit and basically what happened.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/dell-gives-morale-boosting-talk-to-limerick-workers-167278.html

And that's what it is.....pure speculation. Nothing like that is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

gloobag wrote: »
    It doesn't matter who you buy from these days, Dell, Apple, HP, Sony etc... They're all made in the same factories, with mostly the same components.

So in that case the Dell factory in Limerick used to manufacture laptops other than Dell brand??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

So in that case the Dell factory in Limerick used to manufacture laptops other than Dell brand??

i dont think he quite meant it like that, Dell would have used the same components, such as the same Intel and AMD processors as Toshiba, HP, Sony, the same hard drives (toshiba, samsung, western digital, hitachi) and the same screens (samsung, phillips, LG), etc.

actually a classic example of all manufacturers using more or less the same components was the "exploding" sony batteries a while back, the issue affected most laptop manufacturers, but Dell made the most headlines, it also affected the likes of apple believe it or not, but not to the same extent.

Link: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Apple-and-Sony-Settle-Exploding-Battery-Lawsuit-83453.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Like most of the PC/Electronics companies, they use they use third party manufacturers such as Foxconn, Flextronics etc to manufacture there products now. Foxconn (Google "Foxconn City") for example manufacture Dell Laptops and lots of Apple stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gihj

xsiborg wrote: »
    thanks guys :)

Don't ya just love it when a condescending know all gets caught out.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

gihj wrote: »
    Don't ya just love it when a condescending know all gets caught out.:)

there was nobody being know all or condescending at all on this thread, why you qouted me for saying thanks to the lads for informing me my information was two years out of date though... :confused:

sterling contribution to the thread by the way, do stick around, you seem like a delightful fellow... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Quit it...both of ye. This was a pretty decent thread. Lets keep it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Can we have more amusing stories from the factory floor, don't know about anyone else but I'm enjoying them, even though I've never worked there

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Surprised no one has mentioned the antics of Mad Jimmy aka Indian Joe!:D That man was a genuine nut job. Some of his stranger request to Sean Corkery included Dell providing seperate prayer rooms for those wishing to go for an old pray during periods of extended overtime, the labelling of canteen salmon as either farmed or wild and an emergency response plan in case of terrorist attack when the terrorist arrived in tanks with jam jars of nerve gas attached....... the man was an ERT legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Faing wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned the antics of Mad Jimmy aka Indian Joe!:D That man was a genuine nut job. Some of his stranger request to Sean Corkery included Dell providing seperate prayer rooms for those wishing to go for an old pray during periods of extended overtime, the labelling of canteen salmon as either farmed or wild and an emergency response plan in case of terrorist attack when the terrorist arrived in tanks with jam jars of nerve gas attached....... the man was an ERT legend.
    the labeling of salmon is actually valid! Farmed and wild is the difference between light and day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Was he the guy who asked for the polish to stop speaking polish to each other at the monthly meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You want stories eh. :confused:

In EMF3 because it was a double sided factory of loading bays there were normally trailers backed up on the shipping side but further up the buildling by the server lines where it was quiet. These were full of packaging materials which were basically boxes with the foam already attached.

The back of the trailers also housed something else a little more sinister. As the warehouse doors were lowered down so that the only way in(other than opening the door) was the crawl under the door. It was full of people asleep on the foamed boxes. :D

You see, some POU contractors had to come to work at 7am but their lines didn't start till 8am and sometimes 8:30am so they could get to work at 6:45am on the bus and go for a kip. :D

Dell on Line 5(later became line 7) had a major issue with MP3 players getting stolen from the backened of the lines. They came with a leather pouch but obviously you couldn't simply go through the metal detectors with them so people would put the leather bound MP3 player in the little tray, go through the metal detector, pick it up and leave. The stupid thing looked like a wallet. SILLY SILLY Dell. :rolleyes:

Also, a little know fact about the Dell TV/Projector in the Canteen. You'd be watching SKY News and suddenty up would pop some HR Crap on the screen for 5 minutes. IF you stood on the table and pressed the blue button it would cancel the HR message and go back to SKY News. :D

Dell also had a major issue with outgoing calls from the factory floor and used to constantly change the code needed to make the call. Silly silly because nobody was ever capable of keeping the code secret so it simply continued.

Also, everybody knew about the radio being switched off during the factory tours so you would shut up and be good for the VIPs. :rolleyes:

Speaking of the radio. When working on the factory floor on the evening shift you would have to listen to the love letter on Live95fm and when it was finished you could hear all the women ALL OVER the factory go AWWWHHHHH and the blokes make a puke sound. :D

I once walked backwards in the PACO buildling into the back of the open trailer which was being loaded to back to EMF1. Or did I? The truck had pulled away from the loading bay so I feel out the door and landed on my ass. :eek:

Some many people have so many memories. Some good, some bad and some overshadowed by their animosity towards Dell Corporate.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

More Dell stories? Ill try.

The little bloke who locked one of the cleaning crew in the garbage compactor and then cried and sobbed his way out it in the canteen making all the girls sympathize for him, ignoring the fact the cleaner could have been killed stone dead.

The emr tech who's flat was raided and tens of thousands of euros worth of processor and memory was found. People were smuggling the stuff out in the id badges around their necks. Hence security stopping handing out plastic pouches for the badges.

The line leader who was sent on a sensitivity course after grabbing both lads and girls arses and came back as a floor manager.

The time about 3 weeks after 9/11 when a mouse was seen in the canteen during an all staff meeting and the big boss man at the time called it a muslim spy mouse and then had to apologise for it lol.

The rat infestation of the car park. Massive yokes that crawled right up to the front doors.

When you were sitting on the bog and you hear the unmistakeable sound of a lighter next door and then got the smell of a hash being burned and crumbled into a rollie paper. Ridiculously common occurance btw. The shams were fearless/stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The fella that once asked a EMEA head honcho at a town hall meeting "Whats the story with the mice balls in the internet room? They're always getting robbed!"

I could go on!! :D

That was Benson :D

He started then on a big rant about it to Corkery wanting to know "if it was some sex pervert with a mice ball fetish" :D Bloody priceless..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The emr tech who's flat was raided and tens of thousands of euros worth of processor and memory was found. People were smuggling the stuff out in the id badges around their necks. Hence security stopping handing out plastic pouches for the badges.

When you were sitting on the bog and you hear the unmistakeable sound of a lighter next door and then got the smell of a hash being burned and crumbled into a rollie paper. Ridiculously common occurance btw. The shams were fearless/stupid.

There was the guy in emf2 who was in security heading home after a shift and his mate came up and patted him on the back basically saying how're ya and laptop that had been tapped to his back fell to the ground.

Heard a story of someone going into the jacks and there was 2 scots shooting up in there.

Remember you'd to turn on your phone and show security, i always wondered did someone actually smuggle out parts that way.

There was some crazy crazy characters in that place.

One of my favourite stories was a mate of mine was called in, manager and hr were there and it was about verbal harrasment, he asked who accused and they said bob(made up name) and my mate replies, is it farmer bob or baldy bob. I burst my ass laughing when he told me the story and he still doesn't know how he shot himself in the foot.

I was young during the Dell times so I enjoyed it. Frankly back in the late 90's/early 00's being young and not giving a **** was handy because there were jobs all over the place. Just turn up sober most of the time.

My weirdest Dell story involves CMS. I attended a first interview in Dell EMF1 with CMS and was told afterwards by phone that I wasn't suitable. I must have been having a really bad day because not being suitable for Dell was like not being suitable to be able to breathe by yourself. Anyway being plucky I called CMS on the dockroad the next day and said

"Ummm I was told I was going to get a time for a 2nd interview for Dell but nobody rang me back, can you help"
    "Right, I don't know anything about that. Ring Nicola in EMF1 and tell her Grace said to call her to set it up(made up names)"
    Rang Nicola and said
    "Grace in head office said I needed to get a time for a 2nd interview as there was some mix up"
    "Well if Grace said it, what's your name"

"Right come in tomorrow at 2pm"

Next day I did my interview and was told to report back Monday 8am for induction. SUCKERS!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Faing wrote: »
    the labelling of canteen salmon as either farmed or wild

That's not mad, that's a very reasonable request

But I'm enjoying the other stories

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    That was Benson :D

He started then on a big rant about it to Corkery wanting to know "if it was some sex pervert with a mice ball fetish" :D Bloody priceless..

:D Grimlock as he was also known. The day i heard about him dipping his finger in the soup in the canteen to taste it was the day i gave up hot food up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

:D Grimlock as he was also known. The day i heard about him dipping his finger in the soup in the canteen to taste it was the day i gave up hot food up there.

oh god...that's disgusting...Benson wasn't the healthiest or cleanest of guys to put it mildly..:eek:

• Advertisement

You should change his name to GB or your post will probably get removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    oh god...that's disgusting...Benson wasn't the healthiest or cleanest of guys to put it mildly..:eek:

Same guy came in at 8am one morning and by 8.10 he was asleep standing up. Felt sorry for the temp that was only there a week and had to get past him while this slumber was taking place!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Dell, Dell, Dell oh the memories 12 years of madness realy!
    I started in emf1 back in late 97 i think! it was the oct bank holiday and we where on 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for a feckin month!
    I remember making about 1200 pounds a week back than and just turned 18 was serious money and i practicaly became an alcho over night ha ha!
    The days of getting the bus in the dock road and heading to dolans after a 12 hour night shift and getting pissed on 2 pints some laugh!
    Actualy by far and away the best laughs i had where in emf1 before emf 3 even existed!
    We used to get full blow games of fottie going with a big ball of shrink wrap down by hoods on d5 or have pallet truck racing with real crashes and injuries...
    Swivel chair racing was common too!
    Back then we had quick test just after the build line and as part of the test we had a cd sound test i remember one day we decide to coriograph all the sound test so basicaly youd run down the line hitting y button and set the test in motion with all speakers on full wack!
    The only problem was that the boss victor hurley decided to walk in just as we set them off! It blew the ears off him and he later did the same to us!
    I could actualy go on for hours about little incidents and stories in that place!

Currys Chips / Garlic Cheese Chips for Dinner in EMF1 nyom nyom nyom.

EMF1 was always nicer. Even when in EMF3 I would walk to EMF1 for Dinner(not always but every so often). It was quieter in there as well when all production moved to EMF3.

I always found it weird eating a Turkey & Ham dinner at 3:30am as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod note: I don't have time to read every post in every thread. If someone spots something they think might be dodgy, report it or PM me about it. Thanks.

I remember one of the boyz in the motherboard prep cell using the following line as an excuse - "i couldnt come in, i had a pain in my ovary" and then the following week - "i had a heart attack in kitting last night so i had to take a few days off".

Mong.

One guy in the later years of EMF3 was a constant deterrent to the female population in there..he asked every one of the girls in the Ram Cabinet out..when one operator asked him to reach a high part on the line,he responded by grabbing her chest. Total accident of course. Told us another morning he got a security gig at the Pussycat Dolls concert and would wear his Dell visi vest to prove he was on the security team. Somehow he failed to see where he was going wrong. Also proclaimed to all that he was dating a Latvian girl in the Ram cabinet and was happily going steady with her. It would have been grand only she wasn't aware that she was going out with him. A day later he confided with us that he possibly may have screwed things up and also have a B.O. problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

One guy in the later years of EMF3 was a constant deterrent to the female population in there..he asked every one of the girls in the Ram Cabinet out..when one operator asked him to reach a high part on the line,he responded by grabbing her chest. Total accident of course. Told us another morning he got a security gig at the Pussycat Dolls concert and would wear his Dell visi vest to prove he was on the security team. Somehow he failed to see where he was going wrong. Also proclaimed to all that he was dating a Latvian girl in the Ram cabinet and was happily going steady with her. It would have been grand only she wasn't aware that she was going out with him. A day later he confided with us that he possibly may have screwed things up and also have a B.O. problem.

If it's the Latvian girl on the RAM cabinet of Line7 that I'm thinking of, I wouldn't blame him. I was smitten with her for a while myself :D

If she was blonde,no. But I know the lady you're on about! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jasonwarren

Our Brian wrote: »
    More than likely jobs gone to the cheapest bidder.
    good man i am proud of u well said:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement