Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to add wireless accesss point to network -

Options
  • 09-09-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey folks
    looking to add a wireless access point to a network in a community centre-
    want to be able to cope with 25 clients to be safe (broadband speed connection dependant i know)
    basicly can anyone recommend a cheap AP that will cope with this or will they all allow a load of clients no problem?
    i presume they have a lan port that connects the AP to the existing switch/router as standard?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

This AP from TP-Link looks like a cheap monster should do the work brilliantly based on the reviews on Amazon... http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YETVXC

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bakerlite

thanks - that's awfully cheap too!
    My main worry i guess is number of clients i can support?
    There seems to be very little info available on this.
    does anyone have experience of AP's - max clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bakerlite

So I have just purchased the TL-WA901ND (got it from marxcomputers - very quick friendly service!) but a little unsure on the correct mode of operation to use.

I have a netopia router and a netgear switch for some various LAN devices . I got the TL-WA901ND as the wireless signal wasn't reaching from the existing router and i was looking to be able to have a good few clients.

What i want to do is connect the TL-WA901ND to the switch (so it can communicate with the router and receive a broadband connection)

This physically is not a problem as the place is wired for cat5e anyway.

I just seem unsuccesful at setting the correct mode for the TL-WA901ND!

my router address is 192.168.1.254 - i changed the TL-WA901ND to 192.168.253 so fine no conflict there.

i would prefer the TL-WA901ND only use one ip address with the router for cclients and manage dhcp itself instead of the router taking on all the work of LAN devices and the wireless connections- is this possible?

Anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction with the mode that would be super!

I am guessing" access point" as "repeater" just bounces and boosts an existing signal out furthr like a rangebooster? I want it to take the internet through LAN and distribute it by its own wirelss and manage its own ipadress's of clients. I am unsure what bridge modes do exactly.

thanks

Advertisement