Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit chat / Randomness #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

corkcomp wrote: »
    lol It makes u think though:cool: How's things with you? must have a boards beers soon:D

Hey you!!! How are ya keeping?? Hear my bestie man is coming back?!?:p;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

lol It makes u think though:cool: How's things with you? must have a boards beers soon:D
    ya things are good now. Wrecked after a few long days at work but finished now for a few days :D how are you? Boards beers sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Hey you!!! How are ya keeping?? Hear my bestie man is coming back?!?:p;):D

hey, very busy wit work but otherwise good! how bout u? has the countdown timer started yet?:pac: no place like Cork haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

hey, very busy wit work but otherwise good! how bout u? has the countdown timer started yet?:pac: no place like Cork haha

Sure you're always busy with work, you could run the place single handed at this stage I'd say.:P
    Am good thanks, yes countdown is on.... 5 weeks only!!! Agh:pac: Then I am in charge of a whole other person :eek:

Owen wrote: »
    ............ dog asleep on the couch next to me. It really doesn't get a whole lot better than that!!
    nursemar88 wrote: »
    ......... If I had a dog, no one would ever take it off me!! .........

Was dog sitting last night, the sister was having a party so her Yorky stayed here, brought it for a walk this morning, this little dog is a real madam, was walking from Fitz Park along the Mardyke Walk and she just stopped, no way would she continue (she was off the lead and I wasn't overly bothered anyway). So I let her have her way and walked back the way she wanted to go. Doubled back up the actual Mardyke though and she ended up walking the Mardyke walk the opposite way, in fairness I think she realised it as she gave me a right dirty look :pac:

The ole doggies are great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Any suggestions for a 30th birthday present for a sporty male - want to get away from the normal vouchers etc - you know put a little thought into it - any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

DvA2L.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

anyone looking for something do this afternoon, you could head to Cobh and see the tall ship Alexander von Humboldt. Open to the public from 2-4, free entry.

7013715819_ae688eef85_z.jpg
    Alexander Von Humboldt by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

also, bump. how did this get to page 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

cornbb wrote: »
    morgan freeman in lennox's

oi, don't nick my meme :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Brilliant weekend of weather - and today - gutted to be in work!

Was in the Ballincollig park yesterday for two hours - great spot for some american football and a kickabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

PaulieC wrote: »
    Brilliant weekend of weather - and today - gutted to be in work!

Was in the Ballincollig park yesterday for two hours - great spot for some american football and a kickabout!

^^^^^^^^seconded^^^^^^^^:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

It is so nice out, I feel like a little kid about to have a temper tantrum if I can't go outside soon!

more bad jobs news in Cork - looks like GAME are gone:
    7018315711_65c521a92c_z.jpg
    GAME on Patrick Street closed by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

and 80 jobs in Waters Glass too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

deRanged wrote: »

Ye what happened do you know? I was in there yesterday, no posters or anything to indicate that they were closing and no "reduced to get rid of stock" type offers... weird !!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

kingtut wrote: »
    Ye what happened do you know? I was in there yesterday, no posters or anything to indicate that they were closing and no "reduced to get rid of stock" type offers... weird !!!

They have massive debts,all the stores in the uk/ireland are closed,cork won't be the same without the them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

deRanged wrote: »

Waters glass closed over a year or more ago, the new bingo place has opened there since and spent ages sorting a licence etc.

Waters glass closed over a year or more ago, the new bingo place has opened there since and spent ages sorting a licence etc.

I know, but there were news reports that "Waters Munster Glass" were cutting 80 jobs today. I presume(d) it's a different place?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

\when Game opening first in St Patrick's Street they were the Mecca for computer nerds, it was like an Amazon, PC World and Maplin rolled into one ~ happy dayz.

I bought my first PC Upgrade there for £360, a sound card, speaker and a ten set game special included. I waited with my boys for the first X-Box at midnight and paid some £750 [Euro ?] much of which was later paid back my Microsoft in games and service time.

However, have not been in the store in years since it's heyday.

• Advertisement

Gutted for all the employees must be hard.

Have only recently gotten into gaming somewhat - and would often frequent Game in Mahon Point during my lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

everyone seems shocked at the Game closure i don't know how? its been well publicised they were in trouble,

and common sense would dictate a store selling games in an era of PSN and Xbox live, and Amazon delivering to your door for half the price, would spark the end for a store like game, its not like they could make a huge mark up on consoles or games considering the competition online with no staff/rent/utilities to pay.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    everyone seems shocked at the Game closure i don't know how? its been well publicised they were in trouble,

and common sense would dictate a store selling games in an era of PSN and Xbox live, and Amazon delivering to your door for half the price, would spark the end for a store like game, its not like they could make a huge mark up on consoles or games considering the competition online with no staff/rent/utilities to pay.
    I've been saying for ages that I don't know how HMV and music stores are still going as a result of digital, online age we live in - was suprised to see game go though - Alot of my friends would still purchase in store rather than online for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I've been saying for ages that I don't know how HMV and music stores are still going as a result of digital, online age we live in - was suprised to see game go though - Alot of my friends would still purchase in store rather than online for games.

thats the thing i lumped game/hmv..etc into the same boat of shops i wouldn't expect to last,

now if it were Dunnes/supervalu/penny's i'd be shocked, but any of the above, not so much.

i know a hell of a lot of gamers who'd go to gamestop/smyths or tesco instead as game were usually €5 or €10 or more expensive every time. so i can see how they fell.

i just don't know how people are shocked? the staff especially should have known this was coming and made arrangements.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    thats the thing i lumped game/hmv..etc into the same boat of shops i wouldn't expect to last,

now if it were Dunnes/supervalu/penny's i'd be shocked, but any of the above, not so much.

i know a hell of a lot of gamers who'd go to gamestop/smyths or tesco instead as game were usually €5 or €10 or more expensive every time. so i can see how they fell.

i just don't know how people are shocked? the staff especially should have known this was coming and made arrangements.
    The big negative for game imo was they tended to offer prices that were far too low for trade in games -I've heard from people who often trade in games that it was better value looking elsewhere

it's not a shock that the company is gone or anything, it did go fast in the end.
    I feel bad for the employees though. I see there's talk of a sit-in now too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The big negative for game imo was they tended to offer prices that were far too low for trade in games -I've heard from people who often trade in games that it was better value looking elsewhere

I went in there with a game called brink which came out in may last year,I wanted to trade it in 3 weeks after and they offered me a euro for it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I went in there with a game called brink which came out in may last year,I wanted to trade it in 3 weeks after and they offered me a euro for it :eek:
    to be fair brink had a massive amount of unsold new copies as it reviewed poorer than expected, and generally didnt recieve a great reception

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

hmv is in trouble too. a lot of talk about them before xmas where they were hoping for a good one. wouldnt be surprised in their stores are reduced before the end of 2012

• Advertisement

hmv is in trouble too. a lot of talk about them before xmas where they were hoping for a good one. wouldnt be surprised in their stores are reduced before the end of 2012
    Well I know online gaming with Steam and competition from Amazon etc. is what most likely caused Games closure but I would have thought Game to be more secure than HMV - with itunes store and downloading I can't really see how they've kept their heads above water this long - and especially since they haven't seemed to come out with any sort of plan to try and circumvent the rising number of people downloading music.

I mean their business plan hasn't changed atall in the past how many years - they haven't adapted to the market change at all. While I'm no business expert there's surely something they could've tried to drum up extra business - competitions etc.

Advertisement