Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit chat / Randomness #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

The website says €77 still

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=863&month=Feb

but the press release is dated September 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

ncur wrote: »
    The website says €77 still

http://www.buseireann.ie/news.php?id=863&month=Feb

but the press release is dated September 2011?

Yip that page is out of date. Taxsaver.ie says €81. I bought a monthly city student pass today, that was €58, website above says €55, so I'd say the Taxsaver.ie site might be more accurate than Bus Eireann's own website.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What a joke of a company,How can they get away with charging ridiculous fares like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What a joke of a company,How can they get away with charging ridiculous fares like that?
    I know we're a small nation but our infrastructure for transport is chronic - Rail in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Rail prices here are disgusting...

My Wife travels to Dublin a lot,,and if she was to use the rail,,it's nearly €80 return..
    I know it can be a bit cheaper pre-booking online.

She can,and does use the Aircoach,and that's only €22 return,and it takes the same time. And it's a lot more comfortable.

Rail prices are a joke.

• Advertisement

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Rail prices here are disgusting...

My Wife travels to Dublin a lot,,and if she was to use the rail,,it's nearly €80 return..
    I know it can be a bit cheaper pre-booking online.

She can,and does use the Aircoach,and that's only €22 return,and it takes the same time. And it's a lot more comfortable.

Rail prices are a joke.
    That's what boggles my mind - how on earth can the Aircoach make the same time - the train travel times are ridiculous and the prices are hilarious too.

Before Ryanair removed the Cork-Dublin route, it would work out cheaper and miles quicker for me to fly to Dublin rather than get the train which is hilarious when you think of it!

D'Agger wrote: »
    That's what boggles my mind - how on earth can the Aircoach make the same time - the train travel times are ridiculous and the prices are hilarious too.

Before Ryanair removed the Cork-Dublin route, it would work out cheaper and miles quicker for me to fly to Dublin rather than get the train which is hilarious when you think of it!

Well,the train on the journey stops about 10 times in each direction. So your just pulling out of one place,and your no sooner getting up to speed,and it's slowing down for the next stop.
    The Aircoach is direct,and the only time it will stop is if it's a Coach with no toilet onboard,so it'll make 1 stop at Urlinford.

Ryanair? :eek: No thank you...Not at all..Aer Lingus may be a bit more expensive,but ryanair is exactly what you pay for..Cheap and uncomfortable. However,it was grand for the short hall trips from Cork-Dublin.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Ryanair? :eek: No thank you...Not at all..Aer Lingus may be a bit more expensive,but ryanair is exactly what you pay for..Cheap and uncomfortable. However,it was grand for the short hall trips from Cork-Dublin.

Exactly, although to be honest - at the end of the day I don't care about comfort, you're in a plane afterall I'll either listen to music or pass out :)

Exactly, although to be honest - at the end of the day I don't care about comfort, you're in a plane afterall I'll either listen to music or pass out :)

True,,but some people,,like Myself prefer a bit of comfort.

Plus,,I'll never ever in My lifetime line the pockets of ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Anybody want to go paintballing? : http://foffit.com/deals/cork_paintwars_02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Wow...it's been a long ass time since I've been in here! :eek:

Wow...it's been a long ass time since I've been in here! :eek:

Hello The Lemons, hope the Christmas goes ok for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It is soooooooo quiet in here these days, lets revive this thread and get chatting !!!!!!!!!

Jesus yeah you're right.

How's the new year treating you all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Jesus yeah you're right.

How's the new year treating you all? :)

It was so far away I can't remember :D

Mucky all night - zero form for training :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cabra64

Moving to Cork for work from Dublin where I've lived for 8 years! Looking for general advice about Cork. Moving down in about two/three weeks. Still no clue where. :o
    Suggestions; the small random stuff you love/hate about Cork or the big stuff that should be taken into account on pain of death!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cabra64 wrote: »
    Moving to Cork for work from Dublin where I've lived for 8 years! Looking for general advice about Cork. Moving down in about two/three weeks. Still no clue where. :o
    Suggestions; the small random stuff you love/hate about Cork or the big stuff that should be taken into account on pain of death!

Just get stuck in matey. It's a friendly, small town by and large. Everything is close to hand. Have you given any thought to accommodation on any level? Are moving to the city? Have you a job sorted?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Just get stuck in matey. It's a friendly, small town by and large. Everything is close to hand. Have you given any thought to accommodation on any level? Are moving to the city? Have you a job sorted?

Hey @cantd., thanks for the reply. Yeah got a great job lined up hence the move. It's out in the Ringaskiddy. Looking to move to Southside of city for ease of commute. Any traffic blackspots I should avoid?

Not particularly worried re making friends I'm the friendly easy going sort. Plan on joining a gym or 5 a side football etc.

Gonna get a room in a house-been checking daft.ie for shared house. I didn't know much about Cork - city seems manageable to get around on foot. Usually only drive to work and the rest on foot. Looking forward to getting to know a new city!

Hey @cantd., thanks for the reply. Yeah got a great job lined up hence the move. It's out in the Ringaskiddy. Looking to move to Southside of city for ease of commute. Any traffic blackspots I should avoid?

Not particularly worried re making friends I'm the friendly easy going sort. Plan on joining a gym or 5 a side football etc.

Gonna get a room in a house-been checking daft.ie for shared house. I didn't know much about Cork - city seems manageable to get around on foot. Usually only drive to work and the rest on foot. Looking forward to getting to know a new city!
    Prob best looking to live in the Douglas area if you're working in Ringaskiddy - short enough commute and Douglas is good for food, pubs, gyms, things to do.

I'd warn you of traffic but coming from Dublin you're well used to it. Cork also has a ridiculously high number of traffic lights you'll find.

Barring that, Welcome :)

• Advertisement

Prob best looking to live in the Douglas area if you're working in Ringaskiddy - short enough commute and Douglas is good for food, pubs, gyms, things to do.

I'd warn you of traffic but coming from Dublin you're well used to it. Cork also has a ridiculously high number of traffic lights you'll find.

Barring that, Welcome :)

Hey D'Agger, thanks. Took other advice too and they recommended Douglas also.
    Did a little reccy the other day. Outrageous number of traffic lights. Seems weird to keep putting them in place when removing them from the busy junctions elsewhere in the country. A lot of new restructuring roadwise tho hopefully they are a thing of the past at roundabouts at least.

Hey D'Agger, thanks. Took other advice too and they recommended Douglas also.
    Did a little reccy the other day. Outrageous number of traffic lights. Seems weird to keep putting them in place when removing them from the busy junctions elsewhere in the country. A lot of new restructuring roadwise tho hopefully they are a thing of the past at roundabouts at least.
    Welll...there seems to be a rising amount of roundabouts being removed and replaced with traffic lights in Cork tbh.

Check out the well rd. development that finished recently - which is near where I'm living, still not decided if it's better or worse!

You found anything or still looking?

Welll...there seems to be a rising amount of roundabouts being removed and replaced with traffic lights in Cork tbh.

Check out the well rd. development that finished recently - which is near where I'm living, still not decided if it's better or worse!

You found anything or still looking?

Still looking for accom. Hoping to hear today or tomorrow back from job regarding hours etc. Not stressing tho. plenty of time and options. I reckon getting basic digs somewhere til I find my feet work wise and then look to settle into somewhere half decent to live. I have been living in a very basic spot in Dublin for the last while and I'm looking forward to a change there.

Roundabouts have there place if the traffic flows are below a certain parameter but lights are still better for four way junctions. It's the combo of the two that is baffling to me. Recreating the Red Cow Roundabout again in Cork is not a winner. Anyway I'm sure it adds to the character of the city! :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with the various areas down there yet either really. Once work starts the colleagues will point to or away from various spots. As I said previously I'll join a sports club or two and be up and running in no time at all. Cheers for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I swear that traffic planning works the same way "lean" projects do in our company. Somebody comes along and sees something that's working okay and gets a bright idea to change everything. They spend a load of money, publish some misleading stats and get a huge bonus. Two years down the line somebody else comes along and changes it back the way it was. They spend a load of money, publish some misleading stats and get a huge bonus. Repeat........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Stoopid job-hunting. Anyone out there want to give me a job?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Stoopid job-hunting. Anyone out there want to give me a job?
    What line of work you looking for if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Anyone heading to ASIWYFA next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Is there anywhere in the city, like a surf cafe but that does gaming too? In Limerick, there's a place that has 360s set up for online gaming. The reason I ask because if there was such a place, I'd be looking to bring my 360 there to get some DLC. Can't get my 360 online where I'm at, and there is some DLC I kinda want to get, and not wait 3 - 6 months.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in the city, like a surf cafe but that does gaming too? In Limerick, there's a place that has 360s set up for online gaming. The reason I ask because if there was such a place, I'd be looking to bring my 360 there to get some DLC. Can't get my 360 online where I'm at, and there is some DLC I kinda want to get, and not wait 3 - 6 months.

I know there's a 24hour cafe near the GPO in town, near macdonalds by Brown Thomas.

Its used by gamers but no idea what the policy is regarding xbox tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I know there's a 24hour cafe near the GPO in town, near macdonalds by Brown Thomas.

Its used by gamers but no idea what the policy is regarding xbox tbh
    Cool, thanks. Worth checking out, at least.

Advertisement