Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit chat / Randomness #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

Ya could be worth a look so cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

No it would have more of medieval setting to it,it's very violent and there's loads of sex in it too :D,Give the first season a go,see what you think.

Loads of sex?:eek:

No way,,like most good men,,it's over in about 2 minutes..:D

It's probably a bit more graphic than most shows on tv now,,but I wouldn't say there is loads of it.

Sadly..;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

MrFrisp wrote: »

No way,,like most good men,,it's over in about 2 minutes..:D

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I dropped my shiny red motorbike on Winters Hill yesterday. Scratched up me bike something vicious but no real harm done. I was grateful to the Corkonians that stopped their cars on that hoor of a hill to help me pick it up. Mortified. In future, I must double check my side stand's up:o

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

I think I just saw a shooting star head over the house in the Collig, heading northerly but then it disappeared. Way too fast to be a chinese lantern. Straaaaaange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

I think I just saw a shooting star head over the house in the Collig, heading northerly but then it disappeared. Way too fast to be a chinese lantern. Straaaaaange.

I saw it too - a plane ?? ;)

Apparently it was the ISS. What the cleaning crowd are doing flying across the sky this time of night is beyond me.:rolleyes:

I pulled this from the Astromony board.

"Look out for it at 22:45, 00:20, 01:57 and 03:34.
    Go to http://www.heavens-above.com/ enter your location(use select from map link) and your away. Lots of passes in the next 10 days.
    Also check out the iridium flares link to."

Have you not seen a shooting star before? It's just like a firework that lasts a second...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

cantdecide wrote: »
    I dropped my shiny red motorbike on Winters Hill yesterday. Scratched up me bike something vicious but no real harm done. I was grateful to the Corkonians that stopped their cars on that hoor of a hill to help me pick it up. Mortified. In future, I must double check my side stand's up:o

good to hear there are still some sound drivers around the place. is it time for a new bike so!

also, game of thrones was brutal (in a traumatic kind of way). Its like a martin Scorsese version of lord of the rings. Frodo wouldn't last a minute in this universe. My wife is still reeling from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Have you not seen a shooting star before? It's just like a firework that lasts a second...
    I only saw my first ever shooting star like 3 months ago. I've looked out for them in the past so I was delighted when I saw one :)

• Advertisement

also, game of thrones was brutal (in a traumatic kind of way). Its like a martin Scorsese version of lord of the rings. Frodo wouldn't last a minute in this universe. My wife is still reeling from it.

I just can't see Frodo being played by Robert DeNiro...
    nursemar88 wrote: »
    I only saw my first ever shooting star like 3 months ago. I've looked out for them in the past so I was delighted when I saw one :)

You'll see them almost any clear night if you're patient (VERY patient sometimes). There are some fantastic nights for stargazing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I dropped my shiny red motorbike on Winters Hill yesterday.

Ouch! :( Hope it's not too bad. If it's just scrathed and no fairings are broken or dented it might be cheap enough to repair.

also, game of thrones was brutal (in a traumatic kind of way).

There are some differences between the books and the series. I was really hoping that would be a big difference. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Don't watch Game of Thrones and then attempt to read the books - you'll basically think the author is a douche for taking 10 pages to describe what happens in 3 seconds in the show....yeah.....I'm impatient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

I am actually terrified coming onto this thread now! I'm a season 2 of Game of Thrones and trying to avoid spoilers is difficult. So far I've managed it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hope tis ok too...Nice to hear the drivers stopped...

My first instinct was to wave people on. I was morto after all!!

I was actually after taking a bit of a knock to my knee and my hip so in hindsight I was glad the nice fella who insisted on helping me did so. Walking it off before the big lift would have been inappropriate with the bike lying in the middle of the road 'n' all:D

Well at least that was all the injuries you got. Sure don't we all do daft things at times just think if lets say you were butt naked trying and dropped the bike it would have been a lot worse haha..

If you got any scrapes or anything and need a bit of patch paint I got red paint there from the chap who works on my car, tis a nice red you cant have the pot but could take a bit if needed..

Man I want to be finished work and out in the sun shine

My first instinct was to wave people on. I was morto after all!!

I was actually after taking a bit of a knock to my knee and my hip so in hindsight I was glad the nice fella who insisted on helping me did so. Walking it off before the big lift would have been inappropriate with the bike lying in the middle of the road 'n' all:D

Hope you were wearing your helmet Mr.O' R ? ;)

Great for hiding behind when things like that happen..:P

Tell me about it:o

Enjoy the day folks. It may be the last hot one for a little while.

Was in Pana years ago on the auld 400, when we used to park in the middle of the road by Dunnes, was not quite ready to pull out when a decent chap in a van signalled me to go. I hopped on, hit start, hit first and almost hit the ground. Yes, you guessed it, the disk lock was still on.:o
    I hopped on my left leg, righted the bike and got off. Thanked the symphatethically smirking driver and his smiling mate and waved them on. Took off the lock and started again, my beetroot coloured face nicely hidden by the helmet.
    Helmets are great, whether avoiding embarrassing gaffs in the city or speeding up the process in the credit union on a busy Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

Was in Pana years ago on the auld 400, when we used to park in the middle of the road by Dunnes, was not quite ready to pull out when a decent chap in a van signalled me to go. I hopped on, hit start, hit first and almost hit the ground. Yes, you guessed it, the disk lock was still on.:o
    I hopped on my left leg, righted the bike and got off. Thanked the symphatethically smirking driver and his smiling mate and waved them on. Took off the lock and started again, my beetroot coloured face nicely hidden by the helmet.
    Helmets are great, whether avoiding embarrassing gaffs in the city or speeding up the process in the credit union on a busy Saturday morning.

Would that be an auld 400Four?

No twas an 88 CBR 400 Tri arm. Great bike.

No twas an 88 CBR 400 Tri arm. Great bike.

Ahh yes....Brings back My ole "hangin' around with a bunch of bikers" days..:D

Does anyone know if there is a place in town that you can get plectrums for guitart printed on.I see them online but need one by next week thanks

On the topic of motorbikes, was merging from the Douglas exit onto the South link headed towards Wilton and had a bike merge into the lane from the other side at the same time, never saw him because he was going so fast and beeped out of shock more than anything.

Guy then turned around on the bike whilst going roughly 100km, gave a few gestures and then took off weaving between lanes again.

Annoyed I didn't get the reg plate tbh, would have rang the guards as soon as I got to work.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a place in town that you can get plectrums for guitart printed on.I see them online but need one by next week thanks

This is the closest I could find..They are located at the CIT in Bishopstown.

http://www.connectpro.ie/categories/name/keyrings/category_id/2310?start=115&size=&showlist=1&discounts=&min_price=0&max_price=0&price_range=&q=

For the record,I'm not sure how old the site is.

Edit...

I just noticed that it could be 15 days to complete the order..Maybe not much good to you..

May still be worth a call though?

D'Agger wrote: »
    On the topic of motorbikes, was merging from the Douglas exit onto the South link headed towards Wilton and had a bike merge into the lane from the other side at the same time, never saw him because he was going so fast and beeped out of shock more than anything.

Guy then turned around on the bike whilst going roughly 100km, gave a few gestures and then took off weaving between lanes again.

Annoyed I didn't get the reg plate tbh, would have rang the guards as soon as I got to work.

Assuming you both entered the 'middle' lane simultaneously without ensuring it was empty, I don't see why beeping at him was justified. Have you ever experienced a horn been blown in your ear while on a bike in heavy traffic? Beep vs gestures is a wash as far as I'm concerned. If you'd both come together it could have ruined your morning but it could have ended of his life. I can't see why it would have been reasonable for you to call the guards on him either, he simply did what I would have done; concluded I was dealing with an aggressive driver and get my a** out of there.

I entered below the speed limit, roughly 80km, checked my mirrors, checked the blind spot and saw no bike so I can assume from that he merged alot quicker than I did, I put on the brakes and let him go in. I've no problem with that - like I said I beeped out of reaction because I got a shock but turning your back on traffic to gesture to a driver for roughly 5 seconds at that speed before weaving between lanes a number of times with heavy traffic led me to believe two things

1) This guy was driving dangerously
    2) He didn't learn from the incident that just occurred and continued to drive dangerously by weaving.

Like you said - he wasn't putting my life in danger, he was putting his own, but to dismiss it as something that would just ruin my morning is a bit blase of you tbh cantdecide - if something like that happened me I'd be a wreck, even if the guy walked away without a scratch. As for getting out of there - maybe, but I find it hard to fathom that it was out of fear of me being aggressive, I think the guy was rushing in all honesty.

D'agger, respectfully, I'm not trying to fall out with you here and I do agree that the bike clearly didn't cover himself with glory by any strech. However...
    ...checked my mirrors, checked the blind spot and saw no bike so I can assume from that he merged alot quicker than I did

You should have been looking over your shoulder as you entered the lane. You have exceptional visibility while on a bike and of course it's possible that your perception of your near coming together is accurate but you were in a position of being able to avoid it using simple observation. Whether he was doing twice your speed or not, even by your description, it would have been a 50/50 mistake.

Have you considered that he dropped into your blind spot as you looked ahead while entering the lane? Can you be 100% certain he wasn't there before you?

On the other side, I would ask him why he couldn't anticipate a car filtering out against him and take pre-emptive action. I doubt that he couldn't have avoided the whole thing. There are a set of bikers who love nothing more than creating dangerous scenarios to escape from in the name of a heroic yarn. Who can say if it wasn't one of these guys you met. I can only ask you if you did enough to avoid the confrontation.
    ...but turning your back on traffic to gesture to a driver for roughly 5 seconds at that speed before weaving between lanes a number of times with heavy traffic led me to believe two things

1) This guy was driving dangerously
    2) He didn't learn from the incident that just occurred and continued to drive dangerously by weaving...

Before you critique; there is a thing they say about passing your bike test: you're better off sitting backward on the bike and looking forward occasionally. Some of the skills these guys have is off the charts.

You also have to realise that a) bikes have incredible brakes, suspension and tyres- they are like driving in a rally car in terms of spec, b) they are slimmer and can 'escape' danger through narrower gaps and c) at speed, you are in danger of coming into contact with cars while overtaking for mere split seconds and as mentioned d) you have perfect visibility...

...but to dismiss it as something that would just ruin my morning is a bit blase of you tbh cantdecide

The implication is that the potential actual bodily injury you were at risk of compared to the biker was minute. That is why you have to let him have his little rant. Bikers are vulnerable road users and whether you like it or not, you have to give them leeway. That includes the dickheads too, unfortunately. Most of the time they're only endangering themselves.
    ...As for getting out of there - maybe, but I find it hard to fathom that it was out of fear of me being aggressive, I think the guy was rushing in all honesty.

Maybe so...

• Advertisement

D'agger, respectfully, I'm not trying to fall out with you here and I do agree that the bike clearly didn't cover himself with glory by any strech. However...

I understand that man don't worry - sure I mentioned it here to get a bikers perspective of it given the recent chat on here :)
    You should have been looking over your shoulder as you entered the lane. You have exceptional visibility while on a bike and of course it's possible that your perception of your near coming together is accurate but you were in a position of being able to avoid it using simple observation. Whether he was doing twice your speed or not, even by your description, it would have been a 50/50 mistake.

As a driver, I'd disagree with that - I check mirrors first, blind spot, then move but I have to keep an eye on the cars in front of me as most times you have multiple cars trying to merge, imo 9 times out of 10, the most prominent danger is going into the back of somebody here - perhaps this was that 1 in 10 where I should have checked twice though.
    Have you considered that he dropped into your blind spot as you looked ahead while entering the lane? Can you be 100% certain he wasn't there before you?

On the other side, I would ask him why he couldn't anticipate a car filtering out against him and take pre-emptive action. I doubt that he couldn't have avoided the whole thing. There are a set of bikers who love nothing more than creating dangerous scenarios to escape from in the name of a heroic yarn. Who can say if it wasn't one of these guys you met. I can only ask you if you did enough to avoid the confrontation.

He dropped into it from the other lane is what I believe, now, am I 100% certain on that - no, I can't be seeing as it happened at speed, however I'd put myself at roughly 90% sure that's what happened, he wasn't in the mirror or blind spot - then was next to me pretty much so he merged from the fast lane right as I was merging I would imagine.

Now, there's a sign there to warn for merging traffic, I felt I had done enough - maybe not the case but I still think it wasn't a great place for him to change lanes imo but yeah I did everything to avoid a confrontation by hitting the brakes and basically keeping my line straight so that no swerving was required by either of us.

Before you critique; there is a thing they say about passing your bike test: you're better off sitting backward on the bike and looking forward occasionally. Some of the skills these guys have is off the charts.

You also have to realise that a) bikes have incredible brakes, suspension and tyres- they are like driving in a rally car in terms of spec, b) they are slimmer and can 'escape' danger through narrower gaps and c) at speed, you are in danger of coming into contact with cars while overtaking for mere split seconds and as mentioned d) you have perfect visibility...

A fair assessment I wouldn't argue with!

The implication is that the potential actual bodily injury you were at risk of compared to the biker was minute. That is why you have to let him have his little rant. Bikers are vulnerable road users and whether you like it or not, you have to give them leeway. That includes the dickheads too, unfortunately. Most of the time they're only endangering themselves.

True, I just felt you might have had me pegged as the díckhead in the car who'd hit the biker and then give out because it caused me to spill my coffee! :)

I mean....I don't drink coffee on the way to work anymore :pac:

Advertisement