Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Rugby fees

• 09-09-2011 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

My 10 year old is mad keen to join Waterpark rugby club as he did a few Summer camps there which is straight forward enough. Just fill in the form and pay your €50 membership. But the problem is then I have to pay another €50 youth levy. So that is €100 for a 10 year old to join a local rugby club.

I have adult membership in both a local Cycling club & Triathlon club and between the 2 of them the membership is only €80.

Is this €50 youth levy standard amongst all Rugby clubs is my question? It seems a bit steep to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

First I heard of a levy being put on a youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Try Waterford City Rugby Club, see what the story is there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My son joined Waterpark 7 years ago and he's paid the youth levy, that goes to the IRFU not the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭roco71

deisemum wrote: »
    My son joined Waterpark 7 years ago and he's paid the youth levy, that goes to the IRFU not the club.

Thanks Deisemum, is the levy an annual fee also?

roco71 wrote: »
    Thanks Deisemum, is the levy an annual fee also?

Yep, it's an annual fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Is this another case of dropping Johnny off to
    be 'baby sat' for nothing?

Pay the bloody money & get over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He only asked a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Who rubbed you up the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Clubs have a lot of expenses, insurance, jersies etc. And if you were paying weekly over a 30 week season it's not a whole lot. However in Clonmel Rfc, we charge €40 for the whole season. Maybe 'park are charging for having dropped to junior. Waterford City are a fine energetic club and their mini's section are well drilled and friendly in my experience.

allprops wrote: »
    Clubs have a lot of expenses, insurance, jersies etc. And if you were paying weekly over a 30 week season it's not a whole lot. However in Clonmel Rfc, we charge €40 for the whole season. Maybe 'park are charging for having dropped to junior. Waterford City are a fine energetic club and their mini's section are well drilled and friendly in my experience.

Does Clonmel charge the €50 IRFU Youth Levy?

• Advertisement

What the f*ck is your problem? If you have nothing to contribute that in some way answers my question then maybe you should stay the f*ck out of it.

allprops wrote: »

The €100 total does not include a kit as far as I can gather, this is then another €50 so we are now up to €150 before we start. I have e-mailed City to see what their fees are so I will update when I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

deisemum wrote: »
    Does Clonmel charge the €50 IRFU Youth Levy?

No! Absolutely not. Also, the idea that the €50 is going to the irfu doesn't ring through to me, I have never heard of it. Been involved in mini's for a good few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Waterford city are having their registration day this morning at 11am. For Minis it's 10 euro for the year and youths are 40 euro for the year

I've never heard of this youth levy before

The €100 total does not include a kit as far as I can gather, this is then another €50 so we are now up to €150 before we start. I have e-mailed City to see what their fees are so I will update when I get a reply.

that e-mail would have come to me but i havent gotten it? i'll send you a PM with the details on here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

I think €100 is a bit excessive for a mini/youth subscription. Enniscorthy charge €50 or €120 for family. This, IMO, is great value for considering the facilities and level of coaching provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

would ye cop yereselves on!! Ye all know the reason for the high levy is to keep out the riff-raff. It's important that only the "right sort of people" (i.e. those with money) take up the game of Rugby!! (Golf was the same way for decades and now most clubs are on the verge of going under. They would nearly leave you play for nothing these days!):cool:

Why do you think that Waterford has never produced a half-decent rugby player??? Access to the game has been deliberately restricted to a very small segment of our population.

and while I'm at may I just say that the amount of so-called Munster and Ireland Rugby fans who have never darkened the door of their local rugby club would make you want to vomit!! :P

What the f*ck is your problem? If you have nothing to contribute that in some way answers my question then maybe you should stay the f*ck out of it.

My problem is the amount of people like you who want to involve their children in various activites who then question in a public forum the costs associated with membership of a particular club!

There are quite an amount of clubs out there where people volunteer their time for the benefit of 'The Club' but also for the children involved!

People like you then crying over associated costs! Get a grip!

would ye cop yereselves on!! Ye all know the reason for the high levy is to keep out the riff-raff. It's important that only the "right sort of people" (i.e. those with money) take up the game of Rugby!! (Golf was the same way for decades and now most clubs are on the verge of going under. They would nearly leave you play for nothing these days!):cool:

Why do you think that Waterford has never produced a half-decent rugby player??? Access to the game has been deliberately restricted to a very small segment of our population.

and while I'm at may I just say that the amount of so-called Munster and Ireland Rugby fans who have never darkened the door of their local rugby club would make you want to vomit!! :P

My son has been a member of Waterpark for the last 7 years, we don't have money and we're not "riff-raff and we're far from being the only ones that don't have money and we've found the club to be very inclusive and have never come across any snobby attitude.

My problem is the amount of people like you who want to involve their children in various activites who then question in a public forum the costs associated with membership of a
    particular club!

Ok; point number 1, you don't know me so how can you make a judgement on what kind of a person I am. I purely put it out there to ask people who use boards for their information about kids rugby fees. It is possible that some of the users on here may have kids who are members of local rugby clubs and have knowledge of the fees involved.

There are quite an amount of clubs out there where people volunteer their time for the benefit of 'The Club' but also for the children involved!

Point 2: I was for 2 year a member of the committee of a local cycling club and gave up plenty of my time for the good of 'The Club' and all of the members involved. That also included the children. One of the reason I stepped down was to focus on my kids and their sporting activities and to help out where they are palying or taking part in activities.

People like you then crying over associated costs! Get a grip!

Point 3; I was not crying, I was asking the question as in point 1.

FYI: also when I bring my kids to any sport etc that they are involved in, I do not drop them and expect someone else to baby sit them, I stay and watch as this makes kids feel good and also in the event of an accident I am there so please "do not be as quick to make a judgement on people who you do not know anything about"

Last thing, do you still at this stage have anything worthwhile to contribute to this thread? If not why bother?

• Advertisement

@ Silly & Smiley

With all due respect lads, why bother sticking in your 2 pence worth that does not answer any of the questions that are asked on a thread. Do ye sit there just waiting to spoil peoples genuine threads? What is your motiviation for such activity?

Kinda sad really in my opinion. :confused:

Ok so! I appreciate the fact that like myself, this person has given their time freely to other sporting organisations. What irks me is the whinging over associated costs! We're all believe it or not feeling the pinch but if your child wants to do a particular sport or activity at least make some bloody phonecalls or go to the club & find out the cost of membership, gear or equipment. I'm sure that in these economic times some clubs would take fees on a weekly basis rather than a lump sum payment?

explain above please?

Ok so! I appreciate the fact that like myself, this person has given their time freely to other sporting organisations. What irks me is the whinging over associated costs! We're all believe it or not feeling the pinch but if your child wants to do a particular sport or activity at least make some bloody phonecalls or go to the club & find out the cost of membership, gear or equipment. I'm sure that in these economic times some clubs would take fees on a weekly basis rather than a lump sum payment?

I was not whinging at all, I expressed my opinion that I thought that this particular club had very high kids fee's. I got this information from the club direct on a recent visit to the club so I had done the groundwork there. What I am trying to establish is the youth levy standard among clubs or unique to a particular club. By using Boards I can communicate to a much greater network of people who may have knowledge on the subject. That is the whole point of this forum I thought.

I have had direct contact with the other local rugby club and they have confirmed that they do not or have not imposed a youth levy on kids. Some other clubs around the South have also confirmed that they don't impose one either so it seems in this area it is unique to one particular club. That is fine for them to impose that youth levy and it is down to the individual to decide if they choose to pay that. I can tell you that there is a massive difference between the 2 local clubs when it comes to mini or kids rugby fees. I know where he will be going to play his rugby while I have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Obviously someone doesn't know much about the rugby clubs. There is no elitism in either club. Both clubs in the city are having huge recruitment drives at the minute. Also Waterford City have 3 players to represent Munster this season, 2 of them girls who only started up last year and having reffed a few of their games last year they certainly have improved in every game I've seen them play. Credit goes out to their coaches who sacrifice a lot of their evenings to get new female players into the game.

You might want to do some research into your claims before you spout some rubbish on the forum.

Fair enough R71, you did the groundwork!

I hope you choose the right club & do not let financial
    constraints stand in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kizzie

Waterpark RFC have dropped the levy this year. Its only €50 for the year. http://www.waterparkrfc.com/level1.php?id=18

Its a great club with great facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Stop talking ****e! Waterpark for the past number of years have been massively successful at an underage level with players from all backgrounds. Not sure whether you have noticed but rugby is a relatively dangerous sport and the insurance costs are massive, not to mention jerseys, buses, training equipment etc.

Thanks to all who provided information on this, I appreciate the feedback.

Kind Regards

roco71

• Advertisement
Advertisement