Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RROD during an update to console I've had since 2006

Options
  • 09-09-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hi folks, just got the RROD (3 flashing red lights) here after switching on the xbox for first time in a few weeks. When I turned it on it said there was an update so I went ahead and it started downloading ok, but then the screen went all check-boardey. I left it for a few mins to see if it would change, then turned it off and on again and that's when I got the 3 red lights.

I've had it since 2006 - is it out of all extended warranties etc, is there any point approaching Microsoft about it or is the replacement option expired now?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

It's a common problem with the GPU, and since it is out of warranty you should look at having it repaired by a third party. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,013 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you get it repaired by a third party and they don't do things correctly, your console might end up getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

You may not be entirely out of luck. I recall reading somewhere that a recent update is bricking a few of the early consoles, and that MS would cover it. Give them a call and see whats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

I remember this thread from a while back ( May 2011) where some very Old Xboxs would not work after a certain update (Not sure what update this was) and that Microsoft would replace the console with a new Slim

The thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72287670 have a look through that and see if that this could be the case?

I remember this thread from a while back ( May 2011) where some very Old Xboxs would not work after a certain update (Not sure what update this was) and that Microsoft would replace the console with a new Slim

The thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72287670 have a look through that and see if that this could be the case?

This is not the case refer to my earlier post it's a problem with the GPU chip I've seen it many times before.

OP check the secondary error code the Xbox 360 procedure is at this link: http://www.pvcmuseum.com/xbox/xbox360-error-codes.htm

The code is most likely 0102 this would indicate a problem with the GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Wait, So the Xbox is working fine.He turns it on and the option to update it appears. He proceeds to update it to find a check-boardey type image on screen appears and is then followed by 3 red rings? Shouldn't Microsoft cover this then?

Wait, So the Xbox is working fine.He turns it on and the option to update it appears. He proceeds to update it to find a check-boardey type image on screen appears and is then followed by 3 red rings? Shouldn't Microsoft cover this then?

Yeah its purely coincidental that it happened during the update the OP mentioned he had lying around unused for quite a few weeks it would have only taken a short time for the chip to heat up and for the fault to appear. System updates make changes to the NAND chip (where the dashboard is stored) if it were a corrupt update he would get one red light flashing in this case it is three most likely a fault with the GPU.

Microsoft did cover this with the extended warranty but he's well out of warranty as he's owned the console since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Thanks for the replies folks, been out of action the last day or so - I guess I'll try and give them a ring tomorrow to see where I stand - it would seem strange that it borked out halfway through the update so maybe I'll be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Since it's a very old console, odds are if you give them a buzz they'll sort it out for you no problem. Did that for my OH last year and he got 3 months gold free with it to boot, even though it had long gone out of warranty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

No luck, either have to repair it or 'get a new one'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

check out the services sticky on the console modding forum,
    You should get sorted out there

Advertisement