Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I join a club/society if I heard of it before but never participated?

• 09-09-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am first year (NC003) and I was wondering, I saw apply online, and was wondering about two things:
    1) Can you join society/club if you heard of it before but never participated in any of those? For example I heard of Karting, and drove once on my friends birthday, it was like most exciting thing. I also love F1 (bit related) so I was wondering if I can join if I wasn't regular driver of it (like some people go to karting every weekend). Or lets say Airsoft, I heard of it, heard it's fun but never tried since I had no such opportunity or chance in life so far. So basically briefly: Can person who never or hardly participated in activity join that activities club/society?

2) On website you select 1 club/society to apply for. What if I want for example for 2? Pool and Gaming. Or more (depending on question 1 answer) .

Thanks, it's just a bit hard to adopt to new thing. In school max we had was football and nothing else :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dyl1991

there is a clubs/socs day, you stroll on up to the atrium and sign up to your hearts content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Dyl1991 wrote: »
    there is a clubs/socs day, you stroll on up to the atrium and sign up to your hearts content.

Oh, so I can join anything even if I am newbie at that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dyl1991

arleitiss wrote: »
    Oh, so I can join anything even if I am newbie at that?

yep you could join the DJ club if you had no hands if you liked.

Dyl1991 wrote: »
    yep you could join the DJ club if you had no hands if you liked.

Oh ok cool to know then. And what would I do if I was in DJ club but couldnt do anything? Think I would learn eventually? or just watch? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's all about the Airsoft gentlemen, all about the airsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

Oh ok cool to know then. And what would I do if I was in DJ club but couldnt do anything? Think I would learn eventually? or just watch? :D

Yup you'd learn pretty fast! :)

Epicness wrote: »
    Yup you'd learn pretty fast! :)

Ok Awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Well I'm one of the lads running the DJ Soc and were gonna be there on sign-up day. Of course your more than welcome to join even if you don't know the first thing about DJ'ing. We're looking for newbies and pro's alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I've never joined a society in NCI. I'm in 3rd year now so maybe I should :P

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Hey, I am first year (NC003) and I was wondering, I saw apply online, and was wondering about two things:
    1) Can you join society/club if you heard of it before but never participated in any of those? For example I heard of Karting, and drove once on my friends birthday, it was like most exciting thing. I also love F1 (bit related) so I was wondering if I can join if I wasn't regular driver of it (like some people go to karting every weekend). Or lets say Airsoft, I heard of it, heard it's fun but never tried since I had no such opportunity or chance in life so far. So basically briefly: Can person who never or hardly participated in activity join that activities club/society?

2) On website you select 1 club/society to apply for. What if I want for example for 2? Pool and Gaming. Or more (depending on question 1 answer) .

Thanks, it's just a bit hard to adopt to new thing. In school max we had was football and nothing else :D

As a former member of the Students Unions in NCI you should know that all the clubs and societies are available to join on the sign up day. However some, and apologies to those who are run very well, are very hard to get information out of and tend not to do much other than one or two events throughout the year.

If your looking for an active society thats not an out and out sport eg.Soccer/Rugby/Basketball, Airsoft is the best. I ran the paintball society with a friend before leaving and we only did two maybe three events in the year as the Students Union did not provide a greater budget to clubs/socs that needed it. Since the paintball has become (as far as I know) the Wargames society it has moved more towards Airsoft. This is a more fun and cheaper way to enjoy the society. I believe Glenn or Aaron(who is the Vice President this year) run the Wargames so definitely speak to them.

You also mentioned the Karting Club. Unfortunatly Karting is the most expensive of all clubs to be a part of as the college dosent see it as a sport. Therefore (even though the college finished 3rd in Ireland in 2009) they get very little budget. I founded this club with a guy called Simon, I believe he runs the pool club now or is at least involved in it. Not sure if the Karting Club is still going but if it is Simon is the man to talk to

• Advertisement

leposean wrote: »
    As a former member of the Students Unions in NCI you should know that all the clubs and societies are available to join on the sign up day. However some, and apologies to those who are run very well, are very hard to get information out of and tend not to do much other than one or two events throughout the year.

If your looking for an active society thats not an out and out sport eg.Soccer/Rugby/Basketball, Airsoft is the best. I ran the paintball society with a friend before leaving and we only did two maybe three events in the year as the Students Union did not provide a greater budget to clubs/socs that needed it. Since the paintball has become (as far as I know) the Wargames society it has moved more towards Airsoft. This is a more fun and cheaper way to enjoy the society. I believe Glenn or Aaron(who is the Vice President this year) run the Wargames so definitely speak to them.

You also mentioned the Karting Club. Unfortunatly Karting is the most expensive of all clubs to be a part of as the college dosent see it as a sport. Therefore (even though the college finished 3rd in Ireland in 2009) they get very little budget. I founded this club with a guy called Simon, I believe he runs the pool club now or is at least involved in it. Not sure if the Karting Club is still going but if it is Simon is the man to talk to

Is there a way to sign up online?

This Tuesday will be Soc/Club sign io day. There'll be stands set up for all the clubs etc so you can just take a roam around and sign up for any that take your fancy?

DubDJ wrote: »
    This Tuesday will be Soc/Club sign io day. There'll be stands set up for all the clubs etc so you can just take a roam around and sign up for any that take your fancy?

oh, next tuesday? Durinf reshers week? ( I think)

oh, next tuesday? Durinf reshers week? ( I think)

Yeah by this Tuesday I mean the 20th. As it's now Wednesday this Tuesday coming will be the 20th.

Sorry for the confusion. Make sure you take a lap or two of the tables as you'd be surprised at some of the socs you'll not notice at first.

And after clubs and socs day keep an eye on the doors in your respective toilet in the atrium as that is where most clubs n socs put their posters, there and the bottom of the steps down to the SU. LGBT is a great society just for the fun also. They organise plenty of events even if you don't swing that way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mugsi

leposean wrote: »
    And after clubs and socs day keep an eye on the doors in your respective toilet in the atrium as that is where most clubs n socs put their posters, there and the bottom of the steps down to the SU. LGBT is a great society just for the fun also. They organise plenty of events even if you don't swing that way :)

What kind of events?

They have a quiz on thursday in Laguna. Go int the SU and talk to the guys down there. I know Gav personally and he is one of the most genuine helpful guys in the college. Emmet Hughes is running that society and again a great guy and very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I wish I went to the quiz last night, sounded like it was good fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redskies12

The quizzes were great! I love the LGBT society and I'm straight but it's one of the only societies in NCI that have regular, fun events. Here's the facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ncilgbtsociety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Seems to be a bit of confusion for people looking to join clubs/socs.

Best way imo, is check FB, most (if not all) have a page set up, type in NCI and you'll have a host of things that follow it like Fashion, Poker, Wintersports, Rugby, DJing, Peer Mentors, lots really.

Just send a message, join, add friend and ask away. Anyone feeling shy, or maybe unsure just head down the SU, ask for details of who's running things and they should have a number for the relevant organiser/s of a club/soc. Each society is not exclusive to what they are set up for. I don't know any that doesn't organise nights out/sessions. As well as random stuff just for the laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Yes there is, now. They basically put it on student portal, go into ncirl.ie/my student/student life/ clubs and socs and it's in there.

Advertisement