Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What secondary or vocational school in Wexford did you attend ?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

FCJ Bunclody is my alma mater. Academically it is a very good school though I never really liked the atmosphere up there. It was a bit edgy and claustropobic I felt.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Christian Brothers in Wexford in the 80's. Didn't enjoy it at all...........some of those guys were creepy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Coláiste Bríde Enniscorthy.....so glad to be out of that hellhole! Most teachers were ok....students not a hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Presentation, Wexford. Didn't hate it but didn't love it either.

The principal at the time was a WAGON!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Good Counsel in New Ross.

It's grand if you're into sport, all the facilities you would want, I however was not into sport......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

FCJ Bunclody is my alma mater. Academically it is a very good school though I never really liked the atmosphere up there. It was a bit edgy and claustropobic I felt.
    Alma mater.... is that what they taught you to say up there.

St Mary's CBS Enniscorthy was the school I attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

St.Mary's Secondary School, New Ross. The majority of the teachers were grand, the principal when I was there, Mr.O'Sullivan, was very fair and someone you could talk to. I think they've gotten a new principal this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

FCJ Bunclody as well. Was Run like a high security prison in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

I've just finished in Coláiste Bríde, Enniscorthy. I'll be honest and say I loved it, the majority of teachers are brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

another Counsel boy here.

back in the draconian days of Cossie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

another Counsel boy here.

back in the draconian days of Cossie

Ditto...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Number 10 Shirt

FCJ Bunclody as well. Was Run like a high security prison in the end anyway.

Who was the principal when you were there ? Sr Madeleine was head honcho right throughout my time at the FCJ. Alot of people disliked her but I thought she was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

St Mary's CBS, Enniscorthy. In the days of Sunshine, Jammy, Rags, Rodney et al...I still wake up sweating some Sunday nights, worrying that I have to be in school in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

The zoo that is Gorey Community School.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭nordine

Bearhunter wrote: »
    St Mary's CBS, Enniscorthy. In the days of Sunshine, Jammy, Rags, Rodney et al...I still wake up sweating some Sunday nights, worrying that I have to be in school in the morning.
    I had all them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Ditto... back in the day when Brother Loftus was at the helm and Bilco was still giving kids the odd wallop!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Ditto... back in the day when Brother Loftus was at the helm and Bilco was still giving kids the odd wallop!

Bet you can't say Master Carty without doing his voice.:D:D:D

Jaysus,it's 20 years ago that I did my leaving cert in that place.I remember when Rita Fitzgerald took over as principal-she was a right bitch (and that was just the staff's view)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I went to Rosbercon - the Holy Faith, Our Lady of Lourdes they call it these days I think. 25 years ago now so I'm sure lots has changed - at least I hope it has as it was hardly all mod cons in those days. Happy memories of fun times with the girls though and some of the teachers were ok too.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

zerks wrote: »
    Bet you can't say Master Carty without doing his voice.:D:D:D QUOTE]

We used to try to get him to say "Irish citizen"... it came out something like "I-with thittithen..." And then he'd ask were we making a laugh of him when we dissolved into smothered titters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

zerks wrote: »
    Bet you can't say Master Carty without doing his voice.:D:D:D
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

jordata wrote: »
    Happy memories of fun times with the girls though and some of the teachers were ok too.

:eek: lesboooos!!!!! :P

on topic, vocational college in new ross. some brilliant teachers especially considering the amount of scumbags that went/go there.

• Advertisement

jordata wrote: »
    I went to Rosbercon - the Holy Faith, Our Lady of Lourdes they call it these days I think

AKA the Virgin Megastore, I seem to remember it being called... Never did get to verify that though...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

In wexford town the Loreto was known as the virgin megastore and the Presentation was known as the pregnant nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    AKA the Virgin Megastore, I seem to remember it being called... Never did get to verify that though...:rolleyes:
    Virgins on the hill seems to be the new one :p

Y'see I'm actually old enough to remember the Virgin Megastore (the shop, that is, not the school) - it'd mean nothing to most people these days.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phoenix Lights

I attended the FCJ in Bunclody and it's been twenty years since I left the place. Mixed feelings about the school tbh. There were a lot of really good teachers during my time there like Mr Connaughton (RIP), Mr O'Neill, Ms Frend, Mr O' Sullivan, Miss Keating to name a few.
    I can only speak for myself when I say that I never really liked the atmosphere up in the FCJ, a bit cliquish and too much 'agro' for want of a better word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Bearhunter wrote: »

Don’t forget mr deegan frightening the sh1te out of ye as a first year but turned out to be alright after that.

And mr Britton, aul Granny Gartland and Beaker spitting as he spoke if you happened to be sitting in the front row!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Am another former FCJ Bunclody student myself, having attended there in the 1980s.

Other posters have said they found it a bit clique-ish, and that may be true if they're referring to a sort of "From Bunclody" / "Not from Bunclody" vibe. I was from one of the outlying villages myself, and never really one of the "in" crowd from the town itself. But overall, I've got good memories of the place.

I see some teachers mentioned above...I'll mention some nicknames, to see if they ring any bells: Disco, Moses, Smackers, Goggles, Bórd Bainne, Hitler, and the one and only Ma, whose surname always followed the "Ma" whenever she was referred to. Anyone who was there around the same time will know who I'm talking about.

By the way, have often found it curious how we're still defined so much by school sometimes, even though we only go there for a relatively short time. For example, I spent just five years in the place and have been out of it for 31, but I still find myself sometimes explaining "he was in my year in school" or saying that somebody "would have been two years behind me in school". Same for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phoenix Lights

Am another former FCJ Bunclody student myself, having attended there in the 1980s.

Other posters have said they found it a bit clique-ish, and that may be true if they're referring to a sort of "From Bunclody" / "Not from Bunclody" vibe. I was from one of the outlying villages myself, and never really one of the "in" crowd from the town itself. But overall, I've got good memories of the place.

I see some teachers mentioned above...I'll mention some nicknames, to see if they ring any bells: Disco, Moses, Smackers, Goggles, Bórd Bainne, Hitler, and the one and only Ma, whose surname always followed the "Ma" whenever she was referred to. Anyone who was there around the same time will know who I'm talking about.

By the way, have often found it curious how we're still defined so much by school sometimes, even though we only go there for a relatively short time. For example, I spent just five years in the place and have been out of it for 31, but I still find myself sometimes explaining "he was in my year in school" or saying that somebody "would have been two years behind me in school". Same for anyone else?

Two of the nicknames you mentioned ring a bell! Mrs MacMullan was called 'smackers' and 'disco' is Mr Kelly I think? (Joe Kelly who taught history).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

You're right on both counts. Sure who could forget Disco Joe? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The zoo that is Gorey Community School.

Another GCS head. I had a blast there. Def some of the best years of my life and looking forward to seeing the kids go there someday hopefully.

I remember thinking when I went to college that GCS had set me up for it perfectly, mind you, that's because it was a giant secondary school and a small college :)

Advertisement