Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What secondary or vocational school in Wexford did you attend ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phoenix Lights

You're right on both counts. Sure who could forget Disco Joe? :D

He was my history teacher for the Junior Cert. I found him to be a decent fella though and a good teacher too. Very old school as well, no pun intended! Just as an aside, I can remember the school mass at the beginning of sixth year and one of the lads saying, ''Look at Mr Kelly. He is fast asleep!'', and Disco Joe was indeed conked out and dreaming about historical figures no doubt!:D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Another GCS head. I had a blast there. Def some of the best years of my life and looking forward to seeing the kids go there someday hopefully.

I remember thinking when I went to college that GCS had set me up for it perfectly, mind you, that's because it was a giant secondary school and a small college :)

It's the largest school in the country in terms of enrollment I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Am another former FCJ Bunclody student myself, having attended there in the 1980s.

Other posters have said they found it a bit clique-ish, and that may be true if they're referring to a sort of "From Bunclody" / "Not from Bunclody" vibe. I was from one of the outlying villages myself, and never really one of the "in" crowd from the town itself. But overall, I've got good memories of the place.

I see some teachers mentioned above...I'll mention some nicknames, to see if they ring any bells: Disco, Moses, Smackers, Goggles, Bórd Bainne, Hitler, and the one and only Ma, whose surname always followed the "Ma" whenever she was referred to. Anyone who was there around the same time will know who I'm talking about.

By the way, have often found it curious how we're still defined so much by school sometimes, even though we only go there for a relatively short time. For example, I spent just five years in the place and have been out of it for 31, but I still find myself sometimes explaining "he was in my year in school" or saying that somebody "would have been two years behind me in school". Same for anyone else?

Went to the convent also, loved it. My daughter started 1st year this year and so far, also loves it.

Ah, Ma Lennon, they've 3 vice principals now! She was a one woman army. Bord Bainne - was a nun but I can't remember her name! Moses - was that Mr Slevin? Had him for geography and herself for French.

Went to the convent also, loved it. My daughter started 1st year this year and so far, also loves it.

Ah, Ma Lennon, they've 3 vice principals now! She was a one woman army. Bord Bainne - was a nun but I can't remember her name! Moses - was that Mr Slevin? Had him for geography and herself for French.

Nobody would mess with Ma Lennon! Mr Slevin, god rest him, was my geography teacher for the leaving cert but I was never taught by Mrs Slevin at any stage. Their son Enda was in the same year as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Nobody would mess with Ma Lennon! Mr Slevin, god rest him, was my geography teacher for the leaving cert but I was never taught by Mrs Slevin at any stage. Their son Enda was in the same year as me.

Ms Egan, who became Mrs. Wade. Had her for French and Irish from 1st to 3rd year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It's the largest school in the country in terms of enrollment I think?

Not sure if it still is, but when I was there, it was. There were about 330 in my year anyway, I remember that because I was helping make the yearbook in 6th year :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Not sure if it still is, but when I was there, it was. There were about 330 in my year anyway, I remember that because I was helping make the yearbook in 6th year :D

Good lord, 330 students in one year group!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bet you can't say Master Carty without doing his voice.:D:D:D

Jaysus,it's 20 years ago that I did my leaving cert in that place.I remember when Rita Fitzgerald took over as principal-she was a right bitch (and that was just the staff's view)

Master Carty is my uncle (assuming there was only one in the school). I am highly insulted :D

Went to Gorey CS and find myself reminiscing about it more than I thought I would. Was back in it doing night classes recently, I the memories came flooding back.

Advertisement