Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large round revolver question

Options
  • 09-09-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I've reviewed regulations but didn't find a definitive answer.

I'd like to buy a .44 Magnum single action revolver for target shooting but have not seen anything larger than 9mm for sale in gun shops.

Are these calibers allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sham_Lad wrote: »

I'd like to buy a .44 Magnum single action revolver for target shooting but have not seen anything larger than 9mm for sale in gun shops.

All centrefire pistols(9mm, .40, .38, .357 etc) are classed as restricted firearms and the Gardai aren't issuing restricted licences for them. Only people who had one prior to the 2008 legislation change can get licences for them. The only pistol you could get a licence for if you're a member of a club is a .22lr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sham_Lad wrote: »

Best of luck in any application for a centrefire pistol.......
    Including a 9mm......

Anything above .22lr is wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sham_Lad

Although disappointing, thanks for the responses.

I may follow up with our local authorities.

I had a Ruger .44 mag single action while living in another country and it was a very enjoyable way of target shooting.

Advertisement