Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be possible to visit a cousin in a university in the states?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Started university in Ireland this year. I have a relative in america who suggested I visit him to experience US college culture, he's been over here. I was wondering if I could visit him for around a semester.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes.
    You have a couple of options, your bets one is probably to look into exchange programs from your irish uni to the US college. If that doesn't work, you could take a trimester or year's break from your Irish college and go study in the USA on a F1 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

not sure about a full year, would I be able to travel on a J1 for 3 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, you could do the "traditional" J1 summer, but you don't usually study on that, you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You didn't mention anything about studying or working, so if as you said you just want to visit you can go on the ESTA thing for 90 days. If you want to stay longer you can go on a B-visa.

Advertisement