Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Phone Dialer Problem

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am having a problem with eircom or three, not sure, my house alarm phone dialer will send text messages to o2 and vodafone numbers but not to my own three.ie number. Eircom say it is not there problem and three.ie say the same. Any ideas or a solution would be appreciated. Dont want to have to change to a gsm phone dialer.

AL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

It would be nice to get an official Eircom response to this issue e.g.

1) Reason(s) why SMS messages sent from an Eircom line (specifically in relation to intruder alarm/duress activation notification) to the Three Network are never received by Three customers.

2) Details of any previous attempts to resolve the issue / negotiate with Three & the outcome of any such attemts.

3) Update on any ongoing attemts to resolve the issue.

4) Details (if applicable) of any planned attempts to resolve the issue.

As the issue isn't account specific there should be no reason for the problem to be brought to PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

alanc wrote: »
    I am having a problem with eircom or three, not sure, my house alarm phone dialer will send text messages to o2 and vodafone numbers but not to my own three.ie number. Eircom say it is not there problem and three.ie say the same. Any ideas or a solution would be appreciated. Dont want to have to change to a gsm phone dialer.

AL.

Hi alanc,

I will check this out with eircom phonewhatch and get back to you in a few days.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

AL.

Hi alanc / jeckle
    As phonewatch is a seperate section I have contacted them for a response on this issue.
    I should have this soon and will post here.
    Tony

Hi alanc / jeckle
    As phonewatch is a seperate section I have contacted them for a response on this issue.
    I should have this soon and will post here.
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that this issue doesn't relate to Eircom Phonewatch Alarm monitoring as such - it's more got to do with SMS messages sent from Eircom phonelines via text dialler on any alarm system to the Three Network.

jeckle wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Just to clarify that this issue doesn't relate to Eircom Phonewatch Alarm monitoring as such - it's more got to do with SMS messages sent from Eircom phonelines via text dialler on any alarm system to the Three Network.

Thanks jeckle
    no I understand this but will see if I can get any claification.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Thanks for any help lads. I am the same as jeckle, no phonewatch installed, just a regular dialer.

AL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

its the same with the vodafone landline , you cant send texts to 3 numbers. took me 2 hours to try and figure it out.. eventually i asked for help!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭altor

There is no contract between these company's to bill each other for the messages on your land line, that's why it wont work.

A solution would be to install a voice dialer which will work rather that the text dialer.

Any response or solution from eircom???

Any response or solution from eircom???

Hi alanc,

I apologise for the delay, I understand you don't have phonewatch but I spoke to them to see if they had similar issues with eircom alarm customers.

They asked "who was the automatic dialer provided by?"

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Mark, as far as I know it is a standard text dialer. Three.ie say that it is an eircom problem and that the eircom system is quite old and is not compatible with three's.

Can you find out when I can move my home phone service to another provider as I can see no other solution. I will pm my account number.

AL.

Mark, as far as I know it is a standard text dialer. Three.ie say that it is an eircom problem and that the eircom system is quite old and is not compatible with three's.

Can you find out when I can move my home phone service to another provider as I can see no other solution. I will pm my account number.

AL.

Hi Al.

I PM you back there.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks jeckle
    no I understand this but will see if I can get any claification.
    Tony
    Any update on this issue Tony?

Any update on this issue Tony?

Hi jeckle

the post above from altor, re
    "There is no contract between these company's to bill each other for the messages on your land line, that's why it wont work".

Does appear to be correct, I am attempting to get more info on this though.
    Tony

Hi jeckle

the post above from altor, re
    "There is no contract between these company's to bill each other for the messages on your land line, that's why it wont work".

Does appear to be correct, I am attempting to get more info on this though.
    Tony
    Thanks Tony - yes that is what I had assumed all along.

A friend has the same problem & actually rang Eircom about it. He was told that it was not anything to do with agreements or contracts & not to believe everything that he reads on the internet. He was told that it he thought about it why would Eircom refuse money generated by texts sent from their landlines & that the fault lay firmly with Three & it must be a technical fault at their end & to contact them. I was listening to the call & that's what he was told.

He also rang Three & was told that at present they don't support SMS messages sent from Eircom landlines. When he asked what 'don't support' meant in this instance, was told that they have no ties with Eircom. When he asked what 'no ties' meant in this instance, he was told that they do not at present support this service & that they are aware of the issue.

So, it does look as if the problem can only be solved if Three & Eircom negotiate a contract/agreement, but it also looks as if my friend was given false/misleading information over the phone by Eircom as far as agreements or contracts are concerned, but not as regards the technical 'fault'. I realise that the lack of one would cause the other. This is why it would be nice to get some sort of official response from Eircom or at least a confirmation that this is definitely not their problem, & that Three would need to contact them to make an agreement, or that they will , or could attempt to negotiate one with Three.

As it stands, it looks as if neither could really be bothered approaching the other, & it's the customer who must suffer until such a time that someone, somewhere with some sort of authority does something to resolve an issue that won't go away.

Thanks Tony - yes that is what I had assumed all along.

A friend has the same problem & actually rang Eircom about it. He was told that it was not anything to do with agreements or contracts & not to believe everything that he reads on the internet. He was told that it he thought about it why would Eircom refuse money generated by texts sent from their landlines & that the fault lay firmly with Three & it must be a technical fault at their end & to contact them. I was listening to the call & that's what he was told.

He also rang Three & was told that at present they don't support SMS messages sent from Eircom landlines. When he asked what 'don't support' meant in this instance, was told that they have no ties with Eircom. When he asked what 'no ties' meant in this instance, he was told that they do not at present support this service & that they are aware of the issue.

So, it does look as if the problem can only be solved if Three & Eircom negotiate a contract/agreement, but it also looks as if my friend was given false/misleading information over the phone by Eircom as far as agreements or contracts are concerned, but not as regards the technical 'fault'. I realise that the lack of one would cause the other. This is why it would be nice to get some sort of official response from Eircom or at least a confirmation that this is definitely not their problem, & that Three would need to contact them to make an agreement, or that they will , or could attempt to negotiate one with Three.

As it stands, it looks as if neither could really be bothered approaching the other, & it's the customer who must suffer until such a time that someone, somewhere with some sort of authority does something to resolve an issue that won't go away.

Well hope to have more info on this jeckle, as there must be a reason for this.. It is unlike any company to refuse possible business:confused:
    I have to admit that I was not really aware of the situation before, so is possible which ever agent your friend spoke with may not have know either..It's an odd one:o
    Hope to have something next week. Have a good weekend.
    Tony

Well hope to have more info on this jeckle, as there must be a reason for this.. It is unlike any company to refuse possible business:confused:

Hope to have something next week. Have a good weekend.
    Tony
    Many thanks Tony - you too!

Many thanks Tony - you too!

Hi jeckle
    afraid no info to add to this subject, it does appear to be between the two providers and no info available.
    Tony

Hi jeckle
    afraid no info to add to this subject, it does appear to be between the two providers and no info available.
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I had to lodge a formal complaint to Three in order to get an answer from them, so I appreciate the fact that you did your best.

I got a vague call earlier from Three to say that as a business decision they do not have a contract with yourselves & that they might have one sometime in the future, but they have no immediate plans. I was told that I wouldn't understand why. I did suggest that if they told me I would do my best to grasp it, but just got told it was a business decision & they hope that I will remain as a Three customer, but it's my decision if I care to leave LOL. That decision won't require much thought. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hi Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I had to lodge a formal complaint to Three in order to get an answer from them, so I appreciate the fact that you did your best.

I got a vague call earlier from Three to say that as a business decision they do not have a contract with yourselves & that they might have one sometime in the future, but they have no immediate plans. I was told that I wouldn't understand why. I did suggest that if they told me I would do my best to grasp it, but just got told it was a business decision & they hope that I will remain as a Three customer, but it's my decision if I care to leave LOL. That decision won't require much thought. :)

Thanks for getting back to us jeckle,

Tony is out of the office for the next week, anything further just let me know.

Regards
    Ant

• Advertisement

It looks like there is no solution to this problem, is there another way to set up a number that will forward on a text?? The same way you can forward on a voice call.

AL.

Yes, I have come across one that works.

Up to this I've had to carry two phones around - my Three one plus another with an 02 PAYG sim in it, which is the one that is programmed into the alarm text dialer. I have the 02 sim in a Nokia e52, so I searched the Nokia/Ovi App Store & came across a few sms forwarding apps. There is a facility to enter the handset model to make sure that it's compatible with the app. Some of the reviews weren't all that complimentary, but I decided for the sake of the €4 that I'd give this one a try.

The one I bought was SMS Forwarder. Here's the link to the site http://store.ovi.com/search?q=sms+forwarder & you can enter your phone model by clicking 'Set Your Device' at the top of the page. I set it up, tested it & it works. The forwarded SMS messages are coming through to my Three number about 7 or 8 seconds after the 02 text has been received, & the cost is the same as when sending a regular text.

This method mightn't work for or be of us to everyone, mainly because you'd need a Nokia handset for the 'second' non-Three number, the handset may not be compatible with some of the apps, & the non-Three handset would have to be located somewhere that it has a signal to receive & then send texts. Luckily I don't have that problem, but for anyone that does they would have to leave the handset at work, or with a friend/family member who'd have to make sure its always on & charged.

It's not an ideal situation, I know, as you'd now be depending on a second network, plus a third party app - but, as i said I've tested it & it works - so far anyway. I've tested it with the alarm itself a few times, plus about 15 times by sending a text from my three number to the 02 number. The only ones that weren't forwarded straight away were two that I sent to the 02 device when I had the phone switched off. Even though they were delivered to the o2 phone as soon as i switched it back on they were not forwarded to my Three number at all, so the moral of the story is to make sure the 02 phone is on at all times & has credit.

You can set as many forwards as you want with the app that I got, so for test purposes I set my own Three number plus the Eircom number to be forwarded to my Three number. There are apps available for other phone makes, so it would be worthwhile a Google search.

Advertisement