Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope running out of clicks

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

got a new scope today and set about sighting it in at 50 yards first group were 8" low and 3" left. started adjusting the turrets when all of a sudden my up turret is out of clicks. this being ireland it started to lash rain so i headed home.
    ive reset the scope to it optical center and hope to go at it again tomorrow.
    this happen to anybody else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 von dreyse

What make is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

kellzar wrote: »
    got a new scope today and set about sighting it in at 50 yards first group were 8" low and 3" left. started adjusting the turrets when all of a sudden my up turret is out of clicks. this being ireland it started to lash rain so i headed home.

If your scope is not mounted properly you will experience loss of clicks prematurely.

You should have feet of clicks @50 yards.

What make of scope, and what make of mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kellzar

zos 10-40x50. i used the ones that came with it they look fairly rubbish but since its on a 22 i thought theyd be ok.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

kellzar wrote: »

Yes on a Burris and Hawke. The Burris was a piece of crap even though it was brand new, and the Hawke was on a .22 which i've found to be a PITA for using up clicks/MOA due to the subsonic nature of the ammo.

Which caliber rifle is it on?
    Centralise the windage. So if its 200 clicks in total have it at 100. Then dial the elevation down to the bottom. As in no more clicks. Now count the clicks or MOA until the scope dials out at its top end of adjustment. See how many you have.

If we can get the caliber and amount of minutes or clicks then it will shine a light on the possible problems.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

its on a 22lr. it has 400clicks on both turrets ive set both at 200

• Advertisement

You posted just before i did so i edited my last post respectively.

I had a Tasco on the .22 and changed it for a Hawke. It came with more minutes than the Tasco, but i only just got my zero. I took of the scope and mounts, shimmed the rings/base then remounted. Gained back 15 (60 clicks) minutes so all sorted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

im thinking of shimming it but would like to avoid it if possible, would higher/lower mounts make a difference?
    the mounts are 20mm high atm

What clearance of the barrel have you with the scope?

at a guess id say 5-8mm

It could come down a little, and you'd gain back a small amount of adjustment, but nothing worth talking about. Is the scope in 1/4" clicks?

If it is then you have 100 minutes of adjustment, and i'd be very surprised that you cannot get a zero with that much. However if its 1/8 click value thats 50 minutes and entirely possible to run out of minutes/clicks when trying to get a zero.

• Advertisement

its 1/8 though on the turret it doesnt say yardage. but the generic manual said it was 1/8 for 50yards

1/8 at 50 yards would be 1/4 at 100 yards, but the fact that you have 1/8 clicks means you have 400 / 8 = 50moa of adjustment. On my hawke it used 51 of its 52/53 moa to get the zero.

I'd say thats your problem. The only solutions so are;
    • Shim the rear ring
    • Get a 20 moa picatinny rail
    • MOA adjustable rings. These are higher on the back than front so bascally the same as shimming. Not too common (i think) and i've only seen one set before.

the lad i bought it off said he never had any issues with clicks, so im going to have another crack at it tomorrow and see how it goes.
    thanks for all your help

Is the scope and the rifle the same as the lad had or did you just buy the scope? Because it suited his rifle does not mean the same zero will apply to yours.

I had an old Tasco on the .22 before the Hawke. It only had 40 (ish) moa (160 clicks) i was able to zero the scope and still have enough clicks/moa to get me a 100 yard zero. When i put the Hawke on, even with 10 -12 or so more moa it just about got a 50 yard zero. Meaning there was at least 18 - 21 moa difference between the Tasco and Hawke scope using the same rings with the same objective lense eize. A few moa out i could understand but not the "huge" amount it was out.

i just bought the scope. he said he had it on a few rifles and it was fine on them all. if tomorrow doesnt go well ill buy a picatinny rail and see if that will work

What model .22 as rail are hard to come across and inclined rails harder still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

What rifle is it on.
    If its a Ruger 10/22 then your problem could be barrel droop.

Anyway to shim up the back mount cut up a beer can and fold over a few times to get the thickness you need, about 4-8 thick should get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I had two of those zos scopes before had one on my .308 and one on my .22. Never had an issue mounting them as i bought new rings when i got the scopes and binned the ones that came with it.

rifle is abaikal toz-17-01. tried shimming it today but no joy, gonna try a new set of mounts on it tomorrow see how that works

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I had two of those zos scopes before had one on my .308 and one on my .22. Never had an issue mounting them as i bought new rings when i got the scopes and binned the ones that came with it.
    the mounts that come with that scope should be binned,they are said to be pure crap:eek: so get some sportmatch ones and see how you get on;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GreatGayHunter

the mounts that come with that scope should be binned,they are said to be pure crap:eek: so get some sportmatch ones and see how you get on;)

I have a ZOS 10/40X60.
    Sportmatch Fully Adjustable Mounts worked on my CZ and 10/22, got the high mounts fits fine and was able to zero in at the first line on the turret for 50mts, a heavy scope on a .22.

Very small field of view at close ranges, great for long distances.

G.G.H

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭insertclever

I had the same problem with the same model scope, my problem was that the scope wasn't mounted properly and was sitting at an angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Ezridax wrote: »
    • MOA adjustable rings. These are higher on the back than front so bascally the same as shimming. Not too common (i think) and i've only seen one set before.

I *think* my Ruger 77 rings are like this. Pretty sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

For the small amount of trouble involved, it's worth trying swapping the rings around.

Advertisement