Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

That's a fairly surprising addition :eek:

...I can see the cowboy hats and GAA tops already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

maximoose wrote: »
    And a dull live performance from Brandon Flowers and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

maximoose wrote: »
    That's a fairly surprising addition :eek:

What in September? And after all the Phoenix Park gigs. Doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

it's a festival discussion thread, not a discussion of their increasingly **** music.

I don't see the point in spontaneously proposing a laughable cynical attitude that's been done to death at this stage. Then again I was almost expecting it. (Aimed at the original poster again, not you in particular)

Cranes are a surprising addition, I didn't even know they were still together. Should be amazing to see though. I like The Horrors as well but I've heard that they're meant to be patchy live. Will have to find out for myself I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    That's why I said ACCORDING TO JIM CARROLL!!!!
    He wasnt too far wrong either!

only the article was NOT WRITTEN by Jim Carroll!!! you might want to re read it again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

flyswatter wrote: »
    I don't see the point in spontaneously proposing a laughable cynical attitude that's been done to death at this stage. Then again I was almost expecting it. (Aimed at the original poster again, not you in particular)
    i don't see the point in crying about people's displeasure at some of the acts or the crowd they'll bring, so there we go....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Killers are an interesting addition, their first album was quite good I thought. Also, the 'Oxegen crowd' will hardly all descend upon Stradbally for one band!
    Exactly , the "Oxegen Crowd" (which technically i fit into since ive went every year since 2006) they would rather spend there money on SP , Stone Roses and Swedish House Mafia .
    O'Doodle wrote: »
    Really tempted to buy a ticket now. Might be the only festival the Killers play in Europe this 'summer'

They are already confirmed for V Festival in the UK and i can see them doing T-Vital aswell

Regarding The Killers performance i will admit they were boring in 2007 , but from what ive seen from their Oxegen 09 footage and their hyde park fottage they have really stepped it up
    Also EP realised that Killers were a free agent and could turn them down getting them at the festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not a big fan of The Killers but I saw them with the girlfriend and her mates in the O2 a year or two ago and they were actually pretty damn good live. I imagine they would put on a decent show at a festival. Let's be honest with EP especially (and I love EP) there is a not very subtle amount of music snobbery involved. Had The Killers been added to the festival line-up after their first album people would be wetting themselves with anticipation but because they have "gone mainstream" in the years since they are now as welcome as a dose of the clap. Not to mention they might attract *shudder* culchies and the like.

It's a music festival. Isn't the whole point if there is a band on you don't like then there is usually somebody else playing elsewhere at the same time that you will like? The offical EP forum has gone into meltdown upon hearing news of The Killers being added. Is one band really going to ruin people's enjoyment of a 3 day festival? I imagine if it is they probably need to get out more. And to be honest I don't see the rougher element that goes to Oxygen shelling out for a ticket to EP just to see one band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

i don't see the point in crying about people's displeasure at some of the acts or the crowd they'll bring, so there we go....

The tears are as negligible as the effect of said band on the festivals wellbeing I would suspect.

• Advertisement

Really I don't think the crowd will be too bad. I've been to Oxegen four times and I'm pretty much used to the GAA types and scumbags at festivals anyway. You might have some of them going to see The Killers but I think most of them will keep away as it's at the end of the summer and there's plenty of other concerts for them to attend over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

Don't worry guys - early days yet and we all know it'll be awesome come September no matter what...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Plus when most of the Oxegen crowd heard there was no Oxegen they have probably decided to go to a festival abroad e.g Bennicasim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

sporina wrote: »
    only the article was NOT WRITTEN by Jim Carroll!!! you might want to re read it again!

oh get off your high horse, what difference does it make who wrote it? i got sent a link by my friend who said it was jim carroll. thought id pass it on here as people might be interested to read it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I just went on the EP site. They have a new stage called "sports bra" or something, it's gonna have Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Miley Virus... OMG! gonna be totally cool. BEST EP EVA!.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Also EP realised that Killers were a free agent and could turn them down getting them at the festival

ya what?
    Plus when most of the Oxegen crowd heard there was no Oxegen they have probably decided to go to a festival abroad e.g Bennicasim

Thought Leeds/reading would be more up their street.
    nocoverart wrote: »
    I just went on the EP site. They have a new stage called "sports bra" or something, it's gonna have Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Miley Virus... OMG! gonna be totally cool. BEST EP EVA!.

Cool story Bra,good to hear the're not resting on their laurels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

I just noticed that "Electric Picnic" has two Es and "Oxegen" has two Es. I think this might attract the Oxegen crowd. I hear they like Es.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've seen so many tweets and posts on Facebook saying that people aren't going now because of The Killers being announced! Of all the many great hours of entertainment on offer that weekend, you're refusing to go to it on the basis of ONE band playing a 80/90 minute set? I'd say something if there was only one stage but if you really hate them that much, you have over 10 other stages to choose from as well as the amazing Body and Soul and Trenchtown areas.

I don't get why people immediately look to complain. Instead of focusing in on the one band you don't want to see, why not take into the account the many bands that you do like and of the many weird, wonderful and fantastic things that you'll experience over the weekend and that only a weekend at EP can provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The reaction is a bit mad alright & over the top. I wouldn't not go because of one band.

But in fairness the majority of people that are complaining about them aren't giving out because they don't like them.
    It's more so the fact that they're seen as a mainstream 'Oxegen type' band than a band that is suited to EP & what that will mean for the festival as a whole.

If the organisers are willing to put bands like The Killers on the bill, who else might they add over the coming months. It's fine saying there's loads more to see & do. That's 100% true.
    But the crowd that might be attracted if the line-up becomes too mainstream will also be all around the arena & campsites all weekend. That's the worry. Not that there's a band playing that people don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

As long as we dont get Jessie J, Beyonce or any of that ****e.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've seen so many tweets and posts on Facebook saying that people aren't going now because of The Killers being announced! Of all the many great hours of entertainment on offer that weekend, you're refusing to go to it on the basis of ONE band playing a 80/90 minute set? I'd say something if there was only one stage but if you really hate them that much, you have over 10 other stages to choose from as well as the amazing Body and Soul and Trenchtown areas.

I don't get why people immediately look to complain. Instead of focusing in on the one band you don't want to see, why not take into the account the many bands that you do like and of the many weird, wonderful and fantastic things that you'll experience over the weekend and that only a weekend at EP can provide?

+1

I really dislike The Killers but instead of bitching about them being on the bill I'll simply go and see another band at that time instead. I really can't see too many of the so-called "Oxegen scum" forking out that much money just to see them and Ed Sheeran. Every festival has an element of scum but the two Picnics I've been to (2011 and 2010) were both grand for the most part.

Lineup so far is not brilliant but there are still some great names there; The Cure, Sigur Ros, The Horrors, The xx and Bat for Lashes will do nicely for the time being. I'm optimistic that Feist may be added at some point, and hopefully M83 or The Knife *fingers crossed.*

And if all else fails, and the music ain't great, I'll just spend more time in Body & Soul, Mindfield and the rave in the woods instead! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone reckon this will sell out fast?

I want to see The Killers but I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Radiohead haven't announced the rest of their euro tour. Ed Sharpe aren't on tour/Played 2 seperate gigs at the festival last year/Aren't Death from Above playing forbidden fruit?

Fair enough but I just had a feeling if radiohead were going to play they would be in the initial announcement as overall its fairly poor. Death from above 1979 aren't playing Forbidden Fruit afaik, death in Vegas are, maybe you got them mixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anyone reckon this will sell out fast?

I want to see The Killers but I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to go.

+1 on this....

I was gonna wait a while but the Killers will be a big draw.... What to do! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I saw a flash of red and bought em... impulse buy or what! :D

First festival in 3 years! Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Hi does anyone know where I can get a breakdown of who plays on what day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

dmm82 wrote: »

That wont be announced until June or July (usually).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

dmm82 wrote: »

Too early for that now but you can always check individual artists' websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

ah, I'll do that, thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Why are they selling Sunday day tickets without announcing whos playing that day? Is this confirmed anywhere?

Imagine buying a ticket to see The Cure and ending up with The Killers :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement