Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

Plus when most of the Oxegen crowd heard there was no Oxegen they have probably decided to go to a festival abroad e.g Bennicasim

What do you base that on?

Taking the average oxegen head to be 16 - 20 years old, then the cost of a foreign festival might be prohibitive. From my experience of foreign festivals, any Irish or English tend to bit a bit older.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I've seen so many tweets and posts on Facebook saying that people aren't going now because of The Killers being announced! Of all the many great hours of entertainment on offer that weekend, you're refusing to go to it on the basis of ONE band playing a 80/90 minute set? I'd say something if there was only one stage but if you really hate them that much, you have over 10 other stages to choose from as well as the amazing Body and Soul and Trenchtown areas.

I don't get why people immediately look to complain. Instead of focusing in on the one band you don't want to see, why not take into the account the many bands that you do like and of the many weird, wonderful and fantastic things that you'll experience over the weekend and that only a weekend at EP can provide?

People are not complaining just about one band, but the general direction in which the festival is heading. Ya sure people don't have to see The Killers, but they'll have to mix with the scumbag element of the oxegen crowd that they will attract.

In the one year that EP had a better choice of acts due to the cancellation of Oxegen, not only have they announced, IMO a fairly lame line up but also one that is fairly attractive to average Oxegen goer. A double whammy. Elbow; Orbital; Christy Moore; Hot Chip; Glen Hansard; The Horrors;; Ed Sheeran, The Killers - any other year and you'd mistake that as an Oxegen line-up. I appreciate that there are more acts to be announced but the damage is done.

I'd wonder if POD & MCD are converting the EP into a mainstream camping festival and POD are going to develop Forbidden Fruits as their alternative/mature festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The Killers are heading to Electric Picnic September 2

The Killers on Sunday then. Where does this leave the Cure I wonder, Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Does anyone know when the rest of the installments are paid if you pay €77 today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

nm wrote: »
    The Killers on Sunday then. Where does this leave the Cure I wonder, Saturday?

Yes, and Sigur Ros and probably Elbow on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

dmm82 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the rest of the installments are paid if you pay €77 today?

It tells you on ticketmaster, its June and July ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Not a big fan of The Killers but I saw them with the girlfriend and her mates in the O2 a year or two ago and they were actually pretty damn good live. I imagine they would put on a decent show at a festival. Let's be honest with EP especially (and I love EP) there is a not very subtle amount of music snobbery involved. Had The Killers been added to the festival line-up after their first album people would be wetting themselves with anticipation but because they have "gone mainstream" in the years since they are now as welcome as a dose of the clap. Not to mention they might attract *shudder* culchies and the like.

It's a music festival. Isn't the whole point if there is a band on you don't like then there is usually somebody else playing elsewhere at the same time that you will like? The offical EP forum has gone into meltdown upon hearing news of The Killers being added. Is one band really going to ruin people's enjoyment of a 3 day festival? I imagine if it is they probably need to get out more. And to be honest I don't see the rougher element that goes to Oxygen shelling out for a ticket to EP just to see one band.

I don't think many people have actually given out about the killers music, I not a fan of it but can see why people like them. The problem here is the crowd that the Killers attract, and no I'm not talking "Culchies and the like".

I've been going every year since 2005, and can't remember any problems in the first couple of years that I went, however the last two years I heard of people being beaten up, tents being robbed, an unbelievable amount of people sneaking in. One of my friends had his tent shat on last year!

What made EP great was that you didn't have to worry about any of this like you do at other festivals, but now that seems to have changed and bands like the killers attract that crowd, similar to the way that mumford and sons did the other year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Doinker wrote: »
    People are not complaining just about one band, but the general direction in which the festival is heading. Ya sure people don't have to see The Killers, but they'll have to mix with the scumbag element of the oxegen crowd that they will attract.

In the one year that EP had a better choice of acts due to the cancellation of Oxegen, not only have they announced, IMO a fairly lame line up but also one that is fairly attractive to average Oxegen goer. A double whammy. Elbow; Orbital; Christy Moore; Hot Chip; Glen Hansard; The Horrors;; Ed Sheeran, The Killers - any other year and you'd mistake that as an Oxegen line-up. I appreciate that there are more acts to be announced but the damage is done.

Get your point about some of those but I wouldn't really have Elbow or The Horrors down as "Oxegen" acts. Sure Elbow have got more commercial success recently but how many of the "scumbag element" would be able to name any of their songs other than "One Day Like This"?

And The Horrors are very much an EP act, I'd have thought. They played there in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

honru wrote: »

Sigur Ros are playing on Friday as they are in Verona on Sunday:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Get your point about some of those but I wouldn't really have Elbow or The Horrors down as "Oxegen" acts. Sure Elbow have got more commercial success recently but how many of the "scumbag element" would be able to name any of their songs other than "One Day Like This"?

And The Horrors are very much an EP act, I'd have thought. They played there in 2010.

I wouldn't consider Hot Chip or Glen "Academy Award Winner" Hansard as "scumbag" attracting acts either.

So far, the Killers are the only act that kinda fit that bill and to be honest, the Killers peaked about 6 years ago. They're borderline vintage brew now :) They won't draw the same crowd as they would have back then. Haven't had an album in 4 years. Their new album is not out till Summer, so hopefully EP will be sold out or nearly sold out by then to limit any influx of scumbags (assuming the album is a hit).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Wonder would people give out if Bloc Party were announced instead of The Killers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    oh get off your high horse, what difference does it make who wrote it? i got sent a link by my friend who said it was jim carroll. thought id pass it on here as people might be interested to read it!

The difference that 1. You made it sound like your information was actually from a reliable sounds and 2. that it was "new" information where as neither were the case.
    The rumour has been out about all those bands for an aggggggge…. its confirmation people were looking for yesterday..

All you quoted was a rumour that people knew about.. pointless post dearie..

if your gonna pass on information, at least know what your talking about…

but i guess its a public forum and your gonna get all sorts of folks spilling all sorts of guff, trying to look like they know stuff blah blah.

Wonder would people give out if Bloc Party were announced instead of The Killers

Saw them at EP 2006. They were one of the highlights of the weekend. Would love to see em again, though I've not heard anything of them since A Weekend in the City.

In respect to the Killers thing, it's all about what kind of crowd is going to be drawn to EP this year. I love EP for its more... mature attitude and lack of muppetry & scumbags. No Oxegen this year has create a muppet & scumbag (M&S) festival vacuum. A lot of those people will be eyeing up EP as their alternative. In previous years, a band like the Killers would be mostly welcomed (as all the M&S are going to Oxegen anyway). However, without Oxegen, there's bit of a balancing act in getting good bands in but not letting the M&S notice. A lot of people are worried that the M&S will notice the Killers. Hence the drama :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Elbow are bad enough but the bloody Killers, both of them are the sort of music you hear at weddings. Next year it will probably be Noel Gallagher and Edel, I'm still going but they really should be putting the money into hiring more good non - mainstream acts (imagine how many good alt bands you would get for their fees?), the EP was set up primarily for fans of alternative music (be it indie/eletronica/folk) not chart acts, every year there is some middle of the road rubbish (last year Sharon Corr) but it tends to be way, way down the lineup, having the likes of these headlining is setting a very bad precedent. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Bacchus wrote: »
    Saw them at EP 2006. They were one of the highlights of the weekend. Would love to see em again, though I've not heard anything of them since A Weekend in the City.

In respect to the Killers thing, it's all about what kind of crowd is going to be drawn to EP this year. I love EP for its more... mature attitude and lack of muppetry & scumbags. No Oxegen this year has create a muppet & scumbag (M&S) festival vacuum. A lot of those people will be eyeing up EP as their alternative. In previous years, a band like the Killers would be mostly welcomed (as all the M&S are going to Oxegen anyway). However, without Oxegen, there's bit of a balancing act in getting good bands in but not letting the M&S notice. A lot of people are worried that the M&S will notice the Killers. Hence the drama :)

You didn't hear intimacy or any of your mans dodgy Dance stuff that he didn on his own after bloc party, you've very lucky!

Saying that though, those 2 albums formed a large part of my early twenties would definately welcome bloc party, on the understanding that they stick to those two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Surely the fans of The Killers have matured? The band has gotten older and I'd imagine the fans have too. They're not at the cutting-edge anymore and will attract nostalgic fans who want to hear their favourite songs rather than the scumbag type who want to make an eejit of themselves while listening to songs by bands they hear on the radio everyday.

I'm not too worried about the crowd they'll attract to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

I dont really see the comparison?
    cbyrne11 wrote: »
    You didn't hear intimacy or any of your mans dodgy Dance stuff that he didn on his own after bloc party, you've very lucky!

Intimacy wasn't bad, but you're right about Kele's solo stuff. Bloody woeful!

After the initial underwhelming feeling from the announcement yesterday, I'm looking forward to it now and can't wait for the other announcements. I think my hopes were just too high hoping for Radiohead! But already there's 3 acts I definitely want to see (Cure, Sigur Ros, and Grizzly Bear), give me another 3 on top of that EP and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

One thing that really annoys me on the poster for the line up on the EP website is that Ed Sheeran is right next to The Roots in the second tier of artists.

The Roots have been playing since well before Sheeran was born. They have also released as many (and possibly more) classic albums as he has released chart singles. They definitely deserve to be billed higher than that if Sheeran is there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

doesn't ed sheeran cover "walking in the air"? If so then he should be murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sounds like EP are sticking The Killers as headliners to draw in punters, it'l work too. (people forgetting they need to shift tickets too.....popular acts = $$$$)

Gotta love music snobbery, if you don't like them, just don't go see them :rolleyes:

I keep hearing people say that EP is gonna be full of the "oxegen" crowd - probably a good few will come to EP now yeah, but I doubt anyones going to notice a huge difference. EP draws a good amount of "scumbags" anyway.

Liking the EP lineup so far though, not enough acts there for me to pay for a ticket but hopefully it improves:)

Not about snobbery, its about different expectations from different events, EP is aimed at people with non mainstream interests unlike Oxygen, I don't mind bands that generally fit that ethos that I don't like (Interpol last year, hate them) but the money for headliners shouldnt go on bland mainstream acts, of course you don't have to see them but they shouldn't be headlining anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

So now people are complaining abou Elbow, a band that have played Picnic in the past? This just keeps getting funnier!

I'm sorry but the whole thing is laughable, people are getting so up their high horses over the line up and making baseless assumptions about the type of crowd that will attend simply because The Killers are playing.

I'm a Killers fan, and I the scum that you are referring to that the band will attract? If so then I think you need to look in the mirror and question your view of a scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

All the hipsters getting upset on t'internet, it's a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

sporina wrote: »
    davywalsh7 wrote: »
    oh get off your high horse, what difference does it make who wrote it? i got sent a link by my friend who said it was jim carroll. thought id pass it on here as people might be interested to read it!

The difference that 1. You made it sound like your information was actually from a reliable sounds and 2. that it was "new" information where as neither were the case.
    The rumour has been out about all those bands for an aggggggge…. its confirmation people were looking for yesterday..

All you quoted was a rumour that people knew about.. pointless post dearie..

if your gonna pass on information, at least know what your talking about…

but i guess its a public forum and your gonna get all sorts of folks spilling all sorts of guff, trying to look like they know stuff blah blah.

U really are sum dope! So far Stuck up ur own hole it's unbelievable!
    I put up a link that I came across which was fairly accurate to the lineup to be honest. I didn't once claim to "know" anything that people didn't!!! get over yourself and get a grip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

honru wrote: »

The Cure's website says that they are playing on Sat 1st Sept

Surely Bloc Party and The Killers are both big commercial bands , but people would probably be happy to see BP announced instead of The Killers???? (Btw that was'nt directly aimed at you just in general) Doesnt really make sense .
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Sounds like EP are sticking The Killers as headliners to draw in punters, it'l work too. (people forgetting they need to shift tickets too.....popular acts = $$$$)

Gotta love music snobbery, if you don't like them, just don't go see them :rolleyes:

I keep hearing people say that EP is gonna be full of the "oxegen" crowd - probably a good few will come to EP now yeah, but I doubt anyones going to notice a huge difference. EP draws a good amount of "scumbags" anyway.

Liking the EP lineup so far though, not enough acts there for me to pay for a ticket but hopefully it improves:)

Exactly and the fact T-Vital is gonna be on this year which means the "Oxegen Scum" as people call them will go to that and will probably sell out , which means they wont go to EP just for one band The Killers since they will probably play T-Vital aswell.

So now people are complaining abou Elbow, a band that have played Picnic in the past? This just keeps getting funnier!

I'm sorry but the whole thing is laughable, people are getting so up their high horses over the line up and making baseless assumptions about the type of crowd that will attend simply because The Killers are playing.

I'm a Killers fan, and I the scum that you are referring to that the band will attract? If so then I think you need to look in the mirror and question your view of a scumbag.

Same im a Killers fan so im gonna cause trouble if i go to EP this year???? I love how people only think "scum" only go to Oxegen and they are only young people . Ive been to numerous gigs (but have not been to EP so i cant comment directly on that) and yes you do get some "young people" acting up but ive also seen a lot older people acting the very same.

The whole Elbow thing is hillarious aswell , "oh they played Oxegen they will also attract the scum" then The Cure , Bell X1 will attract Oxegen scum aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

doesn't ed sheeran cover "walking in the air"? If so then he should be murdered.

I'm pretty sure its Ryan Sheridan that does a cover of "Walking in the Air"

The Elbow thing is quite funny alright :)

Btw, I don't believe it's "Killers fans" or "Elbow fans" that are the problem. I am a fan of both myself. It's the perception in this opening lineup that EP might be trying to grab some of the Oxegen crowd with an act like the Killers. And lets not beat around the bush, the Oxegen crowd is rough, not all of them, not even the majority of them are but there is a significant percentage of the Oxegen crowd that go, for there to be trouble every year. People are rightfully apprehensive that some of those "scumbags" (and not even just scumbags, but pissed out of the minds drunk teenagers too) will transfer to EP this year.

The Elbow thing is quite funny alright :)

Btw, I don't believe it's "Killers fans" or "Elbow fans" that are the problem. I am a fan of both myself. It's the perception in this opening lineup that EP might be trying to grab some of the Oxegen crowd with an act like the Killers. And lets not beat around the bush, the Oxegen crowd is rough, not all of them, not even the majority of them are but there is a significant percentage of the Oxegen crowd that go, for there to be trouble every year. People are rightfully apprehensive that some of those "scumbags" (and not even just scumbags, but pissed out of the minds drunk teenagers too) will transfer to EP this year.

Thats a fair point , but i think T-Vital back again this year , that festival will appeal more to them then EP

Thats a fair point , but i think T-Vital back again this year , that festival will appeal more to them then EP

It would indeed, went to it back in '07, the Killers headlined :D Good festival and would be more in line with Oxegen. Hopefully it works out that way so.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

the EP was set up primarily for fans of alternative music (be it indie/eletronica/folk) not chart acts, :mad:

I think you will find that EP was set up to make money. That's what you have not quite grasped. The bookers know that ED Sheeran and the Killers means several thousand more ticket sales.

You and I may not like those bands but lots of others do. (not all of their fans are scumbags either,just very questionable taste in music esp anyone going to see Ed Sheeran).

• Advertisement

chopser wrote: »
    I think you will find that EP was set up to make money. That's what you have not quite grasped. The bookers know that ED Sheeran and the Killers means several thousand more ticket sales.

You and I may not like those bands but lots of others do. (not all of their fans are scumbags either,just very questionable taste in music esp anyone going to see Ed Sheeran).

I think you'll find Comedy Central was set up to make money too but they don't go showing Law & Order SVU.

Oxegen, EP and the other smaller festivals around the country all have their target audience. EP's target audience is not the same as Oxegen. There is an overlap, but everyone knows there is a distinction between the two and EP has done a good job over the years of walking the tightrope between arty niche and mainstream. Personally, I don't feel this will change but, as I pointed out already, with no Oxegen around this summer people will be apprehensive about anything too mainstream and will see announcements such as the Killers as signs that EP is trying to fill an Oxegen shaped void.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement