Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭sporina

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    U really are sum dope! So far Stuck up ur own hole it's unbelievable!
    I put up a link that I came across which was fairly accurate to the lineup to be honest. I didn't once claim to "know" anything that people didn't!!! get over yourself and get a grip!!

came across a link? someone sent it on to you? your imagination makes up for your lack of manners and intelligence.. ah bless..

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Surely Bloc Party and The Killers are both big commercial bands , but people would probably be happy to see BP announced instead of The Killers???? (Btw that was'nt directly aimed at you just in general) Doesnt really make sense .

Exactly and the fact T-Vital is gonna be on this year which means the "Oxegen Scum" as people call them will go to that and will probably sell out , which means they wont go to EP just for one band The Killers since they will probably play T-Vital aswell.

Same im a Killers fan so im gonna cause trouble if i go to EP this year???? I love how people only think "scum" only go to Oxegen and they are only young people . Ive been to numerous gigs (but have not been to EP so i cant comment directly on that) and yes you do get some "young people" acting up but ive also seen a lot older people acting the very same.

The whole Elbow thing is hillarious aswell , "oh they played Oxegen they will also attract the scum" then The Cure , Bell X1 will attract Oxegen scum aswell?

I'm 19, went to oxegen last year, it was alright, just one band I went to see. Wasn't great though. Propaganda stage was a bit much, too many **** heads around. Went to EP, way more bands I liked at it. Was so much better. Reason why people don't want Oxe crowd is because EP is so free. Theres just so much to do with all the art stuff at the festival and the body and soul arena! Trees could be climbed on. Pianos were just randomly in the middle of the field. With an oxegen crowd of 17 year olds and scummers, a lot of people would only spoil that. This has already taken effect too, what with Neautronix and Arcadia stages gone :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Trees could be climbed on.

This I dont get.

When I was a kid I f*cking LOVED climbing trees yeah, it was great craic. But at EP what's with all the grown feckin eejits who see some nice trees and because they're at a festival decide to be 'quirky' and start climbing them?! Last year I saw a load of girls over the weekend stuck halfway up, other idiots falling out. Didn't one lad fall and seriously injure (if not kill?) himself?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sounds like EP are sticking The Killers as headliners to draw in punters, it'l work too. (people forgetting they need to shift tickets too.....popular acts = $$$$)

Gotta love music snobbery, if you don't like them, just don't go see them :rolleyes:

I keep hearing people say that EP is gonna be full of the "oxegen" crowd - probably a good few will come to EP now yeah, but I doubt anyones going to notice a huge difference. EP draws a good amount of "scumbags" anyway.

Liking the EP lineup so far though, not enough acts there for me to pay for a ticket but hopefully it improves:)

indeed - think back to 2007, beastie boys, josh wink, chemical brothers, etc… I remember there been a rough enough crowd there that year

I do not think that the killers will make or break the clientele of the festival.

And with Oxygen not on, isn't it only natural that EP will want to get some of its crowd? Not all people who go to Oxygen are scum or m&s as they have been referred to. Just like all the EP crowd and not holier than thou!!

Jesus, people here has shown such small mindedness. Not all mind you.

Makes you think - all the work that goes into anti discrimination etc and look at what we have here. If one thing, I would have credited the EP crowd with a being broad minded, but some of the posts so far say otherwise.

The word "snobbery" comes to mind for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

chopser wrote: »
    I think you will find that EP was set up to make money. That's what you have not quite grasped. The bookers know that ED Sheeran and the Killers means several thousand more ticket sales.

You and I may not like those bands but lots of others do. (not all of their fans are scumbags either,just very questionable taste in music esp anyone going to see Ed Sheeran).

The IFI shows indie films they don't show Transformers or Mall Cop, so in the same way, the EP was initially put on to attract maybe an older alternative crowd who want something different, thats why I have been going since 2005, I would hate it to become another Oxegen bands wise (and behavior wise obviously), in the same why as people who go to Creamfields wouldn't like the headliners to be Mumford and Sons and Monsters of Rock fans wouldnt be on for Adele headlining. Of course I know its a money making exercise in the same way as The Irish Times and The Sun both are but both cater to different audiences.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    This I dont get.

When I was a kid I f*cking LOVED climbing trees yeah, it was great craic. But at EP what's with all the grown feckin eejits who see some nice trees and because they're at a festival decide to be 'quirky' and start climbing them?! Last year I saw a load of girls over the weekend stuck halfway up, other idiots falling out. Didn't one lad fall and seriously injure (if not kill?) himself?

I didn't know about that. I just climb things when I'm drunk that I wouldn't normally climb... Like the boat that was there... or the washing machine tower...
    301965_1870188007568_1627149466_1469846_1969254_n.jpg
    307519_10150474288197729_632692728_11173138_1816104886_n.jpg
    316524_2134476567503_1413743116_31957203_490931751_n.jpg
    302643_1870216448279_1627149466_1469936_4078855_n.jpg

I'm really only going to the fest to have a good climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

... Neautronix and Arcadia stages gone :/

What do you mean? Those 2 stages won't be there this year?
    Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Would like to see Fleet Foxes announced too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Would like to see Fleet Foxes announced too!

Their fans are lovely and they make excellent Tofu cakes.

Looks like they are allowing all ages in this year.
    Just seen this on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/electricpicnic/status/175612434436997121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

glennhysen wrote: »
    The Cure's website says that they are playing on Sat 1st Sept

Which is what I was affirming. :confused:
    honru wrote:
    nm wrote:
    The Killers on Sunday then. Where does this leave the Cure I wonder, Saturday?

Yes, and Sigur Ros and probably Elbow on Friday.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Looks like they are allowing all ages in this year.
    Just seen this on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/#!/electricpicnic/status/175612434436997121

That's good, the no 13-17 rule seemed a little evil considering they let people in under 12. And no, I do not think it will turn in to Oxegen because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

just a quick question, does electric picnic usually sellout fast or can i wait a while to buy a ticket?

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    What do you mean? Those 2 stages won't be there this year?
    Why do you say that?

Nothing about arcadia or neautronix is mentioned on the poster. Just salty dogg and trench town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nothing about arcadia or neautronix is mentioned on the poster. Just salty dogg and trench town

It was the same last year though in fairness, insomuch as there were bits and bobs not on the website initially but were added as it got closer. I think it was only 1 or 2 weeks before last years festival when the silent disco was put up on the website. There were a few other things omitted from the website that i cant remember just now, so i wouldnt worry just yet.

It was the same last year though in fairness, insomuch as there were bits and bobs not on the website initially but were added as it got closer. I think it was only 1 or 2 weeks before last years festival when the silent disco was put up on the website. There were a few other things omitted from the website that i cant remember just now, so i wouldnt worry just yet.

Ya that's why I was asking. It was the same last year.
    I wouldn't consider them gone unless they were missing from the maps in late August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Can't f ucking wait for Orbital

honru wrote: »
    That's good, the no 13-17 rule seemed a little evil considering they let people in under 12. And no, I do not think it will turn in to Oxegen because of this.

Not good. Kids under 12 actually bring a good athmosphere too it. They're kinda like mini security guards. Now they'll just run a-muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I agree that the "The Killers will attract the Oxegen scumbags" attitude is a bit ridiculous. As others have said, they are only one band, and they're hardly that scumbaggy. Mainstream, yes, but I doubt that all the scumbags will suddenly flock to Electric Picnic just to hear Mr Brightside if they don't know anyone else on the bill. I'd be in the Oxegen target age bracket, went to it last year and enjoyed myself. A fair few people on my facebook commented on the lack of Oxegen this year when it was announced, and not one person that could be considered a "scumbag" type mentioned anything about going to EP instead. They were all more interested in going abroad to something like Tomorrowland, and now with gigs like Watch The Throne and Snow Patrol/Florence in the Phoenix Park, a lot have bought tickets for those. If the scumbags want to head to EP just to fill their festival void and get pissed in a field for 3 days, then to be honest I think it would happen anyway, regardless of the lineup.

Not good. Kids under 12 actually bring a good athmosphere too it. They're kinda like mini security guards. Now they'll just run a-muck!

I disagree, it was a little unsettling seeing parents bring their kids on a trip through the woods close to midnight when a lot of people are hammered/stumbling around the place. And I refuse to tar all teenagers in the 13-17 bracket with the same brush. EP doesn't appeal to many teenagers anyway so it's not going to turn in to a adolescent rite of passage like what happened to Oxegen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

dont get the killers thing to be honest do people really think the 'scumbags' will pay 240 for one or two bands?

ive been to both ep and oxegen and always had a good time at both there are quite alot of proper music fans that go to oxegen too.

another thing Pulp would have headlined Oxegen in their heyday or been close to the top with their brand of music but didnt hear many complaints about them been there or the frames the year before ... killers fall into that category for me been out of the limelight for a few years and will attract 25 - 30 year olds in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

sporina wrote: »
    U really are sum dope! So far Stuck up ur own hole it's unbelievable!
    I put up a link that I came across which was fairly accurate to the lineup to be honest. I didn't once claim to "know" anything that people didn't!!! get over yourself and get a grip!!

came across a link? someone sent it on to you? your imagination makes up for your lack of manners and intelligence.. ah bless..

What are you talking about imagination??
    My mate sent me the link (as in I came across it) so I thought I'd pass it on to the forum for those who might not have heard about it. As it turns out, the bands mentioned in the link were announced. I don't once claim that I was "in the know" or that I was passing on privileged info. I certainly didn't pass it on to be mocked or insulted about my intelligence or manners.

Why does it bother you so much??

It's people like u who should be banned from using boards with your snobbery and "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude.

My mate sent me the link (as in I came across it) so I thought I'd pass it on to the forum for those who might not have heard about it. As it turns out, the bands mentioned in the link were announced. I don't once claim that I was "in the know" or that I was passing on privileged info. I certainly didn't pass it on to be mocked or insulted about my intelligence or manners.

It's people like u who should be banned from using boards with your snobbery and "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude.

ah i'm sorry if i hurt your ego and feelings.. sniff sniff..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This ends now, take it to PM and stop boring the rest of us. Bannings for one/both of ye if it keeps going.

sincerest apologies to all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone know if this is likely to sell out this year?

I'm uncertain so far as to whether or not I should go to EP.

For purely selfish reasons i'm not happy with the 13-17 year olds getting in. I teach that age group and the last thing I'll want to see is some of my students when I may not be at my best. *ahem*

Shame, I loved my EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

lordgoat wrote: »

This ends now, take it to PM and stop boring the rest of us. Bannings for one/both of ye if it keeps going.

Thanks for ending this. Never wanted to get into an argument. Only ever wanted to talk about the brilliant electric picnic festival and not insulting others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

This is literally the worst EP lineup since the festivals inception. Dreadful. Foreign festival for me this Summer I should think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

bleach94 wrote: »
    just a quick question, does electric picnic usually sellout fast or can i wait a while to buy a ticket?
    Electric Picnic hasn't sold out beforehand for quite some time. With the absence of Oxegen from the calendar, it'll be difficult to gauge just what the demand will be. There'll obviously be a crossover of the music-loving fans who would usually go to Oxegen but will go to EP instead this year.

I don't think tickets will be a problem with the current lineup. Last years initial lineup consisted of over 40 bands whereas this year there has been 30. With money as tight as it is these days, a lot of people wait and see how the lineup shapes up and will be unwilling to commit to a ticket until they're sure it will satisfy them. It will take a few more strong announcements before I'd start worrying about tickets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement