Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 victim263

I can't believe that so much of the "EP" snobs are sooo far up their own arse its shocking....

Alot of them consider themselves "too cool for school".

""The Killers" are a commerical band but please advise what are the criteria's that need to be met to be deemed worthy of headlinging your festival??

And by the way I have never been to Oxygen in my life. The only reason I would consider attending Electric Picnic ( I am not cool enough or snobby enough to call it "EP) would be to see " The Killers".

Not all music has to be under the ground to be likeable...

On that note.....

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Electric Picnic is a commercial festival just like any other.

It's run by a group of business men in suits and not a bunch of tree hugging hippies.

The Killers are an awesome talent. It's irrelevant if they are mainstream or not. I also love the snobbery against anything mainstream. Alot of mainstream is pure ****e but alot of it is as good OR better than indie or underground music.

I bet like 8 years ago if The Killers had been signed to EP everyone would be going, "OMG the killers, amazing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

For purely selfish reasons i'm not happy with the 13-17 year olds getting in. I teach that age group and the last thing I'll want to see is some of my students when I may not be at my best. *ahem*

Shame, I loved my EP.

shouldn't they be back school back by then tho?
    well on the Friday and the Monday anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I bet like 8 years ago if The Killers had been signed to EP everyone would be going, "OMG the killers, amazing!"
    well yeah, because lots of people thought, and still think that Hot Fuss is a great album.
    many of those think that the subsequent albums have been utter sh1t.
    many have since seen The Killers at Oxegen where they were piss-poor live. i loved Hot Fuss, but the killers at oxegen in 2005 was one of the worst gigs i've ever been to.
    and they didn't have a following of Gaa-jersey wearing arseholes, and shrieking fake-tanned idiots that they accumulated with said sh1t 2nd and 3rd albums.

of course, they never signed as a few years ago John Reynolds refused The Killer's agent's request to play EP as "they didn't suit the vibe of the festival". obviously he's changed his mind, and i doubt it's because The Killers are more suited to "the vibe" now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 victim263

well yeah, because lots of people thought, and still think that Hot Fuss is a great album.
    many have since seen The Killers at Oxegen where they were piss-poor live. i loved Hot Fuss, but the killers at oxegen in 2005 was one of the worst gigs i've ever been to.
    and they didn't have a following of Gaa-jersey wearing arseholes, and shrieking fake-tanned idiots that they accumulated with said sh1t 2nd and 3rd albums.

What's this someone who has been to Oxygen, you won't be too welcome around Electric Picnic..or maybe your trying to fit in with the hippies??

Suck it up....THE KILLERS ARE HEADLINING...take it or leave it, the choice is your's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

just wondering with the initial announcement scaled back by 45 to 30 bands is this a sign of general things to come i.e less bands maybe even loosing a stage?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

of course, they never signed as a few years ago John Reynolds refused The Killer's agent's request to play EP as "they didn't suit the vibe of the festival". obviously he's changed his mind, and i doubt it's because The Killers are more suited to "the vibe" now....

I love how some people consider this opinion as being snobbish. I call it informed. And i agree with it.

Imo opinion the only reason the killers are on the bill is to sell tickets. EP needs to sell out this year and this is one way to help that cause.
    victim263 wrote: »
    What's this someone who has been to Oxygen, you won't be too welcome around Electric Picnic..or maybe your trying to fit in with the hippies??

Suck it up....THE KILLERS ARE HEADLINING...take it or leave it, the choice is your's!

I've been to both Witnness/Oxegen and EP many times, i stopped going to Oxegen once the line-up to to utter dross about 4/5 years ago and i've skipped EP last year and won't be going this year for the same reason, Sigur Ros, The Cure and The Roots are the only bands i'd be interested in and i've seen them all before and will see them again this summer at other festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

For purely selfish reasons i'm not happy with the 13-17 year olds getting in. I teach that age group and the last thing I'll want to see is some of my students when I may not be at my best. *ahem*

Shame, I loved my EP.

I'm hoping that's a mistake -- the EP web site indicates as usual that 13-17 year olds are not admitted (under-12s still admitted free with adults).

Upthread I vociferously defended the attendance of under 12s, but teenagers are a completely different kettle of fish. Young children must stay with their parents at all times. Teenagers will not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I can't see all the Oxegen crowd descending upon a festival headlined by The Cure tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The Sunday tickets should sell out no problem as thats when The Killers are playing. People who are only going to see them probably won't bother with the rest of the weekend and bands like The Cure and The XX.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

If Ed Sheeran plays on the Sunday as well then most of the clowns that people are concerned that'll go will only go on the Sunday and won't bother with a full weekend ticket.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I can't see all the Oxegen crowd descending upon a festival headlined by The Cure tbh
    that depends on whether you think most of the oxegen crowd are there for the music, or there for a piss-up in a field for the weekend with music on the side.

having camped at witnness/oxegen every year from 2001 until last year, i'd definitely say the majority of the oxegen camping crowd these days is there for a session, trying to get the ride, acting the maggot, and wouldn't care a huge amount about the acts. 3 or 4 bands/djs they know and they're happy. The Killers, Ed Sheeran, John Digweed, couple more like that and that'll be plenty for them to head down to Stradbally, whether The Cure are headlining or not....

of course, there's plenty camping at oxegen there for the music, and plenty at EP just there for the session and acting the bollox, but they're in the minority in my experience.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Can we move on from the whole "oxegen crowd will/wont be going to EP" :D . Talk more about who might be added etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

lordgoat wrote: »
    I love how some people consider this opinion as being snobbish. I call it informed. And i agree with it.

Imo opinion the only reason the killers are on the bill is to sell tickets. EP needs to sell out this year and this is one way to help that cause.

I've been to both Witnness/Oxegen and EP many times, i stopped going to Oxegen once the line-up to to utter dross about 4/5 years ago and i've skipped EP last year and won't be going this year for the same reason, Sigur Ros, The Cure and The Roots are the only bands i'd be interested in and i've seen them all before and will see them again this summer at other festivals.

Eh yes am sure that is exactly why they are on the bill, what other possible reason could there be? This is a business at the end of the day.

i think some of these are quite possible to be added later:
    Feist
    Friendly Fires
    Soulwax/2ManyDJs
    Spiritualized
    Four Tet
    Justice (if they're not added to the Forbidden Fruit lineup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I've been following the conversation from the beginning and (granted) I have never been to Electric Picnic before. . . but TBH, that some people will spend 230 EUR + whatever other expenses just to get pissed for three days, is beyond me.
    The line up was tempting to begin with (Cure, Sigur Ros, Orbital, XX) and the addition of the Killers just made it more tempting, as I am a big fan. Two concerns I have is that I have never camped before and I don't have yet company (I am not sure I want to go alone, first time around). I know that there is always the option of B&B, but friends/colleagues that have been there in the past told me that camping is half the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

i think some of these are quite possible to be added later:
    Feist
    Friendly Fires
    Soulwax/2ManyDJs
    Spiritualized
    Four Tet
    Justice (if they're not added to the Forbidden Fruit lineup)

My vote would be for Bon Iver
    Feist and Justice would be pretty sweet though.
    We are augustines would be nice, as would anna calvi.
    Paul Weller has a new album out too and he'd be a nice addition imho.

Add Two Door Cinema Club to the lineup and I'll be going for sure. Even if it means going alone.

Saw Two Door Cinema CLub and Metronomy at the Brixton Academy last weekend and it was probably the best night of my life. Metronomy are playing EP this year. Would love to see Grizzy Bear too and Hot Chip too.

Any chance of Phoenix?

and the Maccabees?

and Foster the People?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

O'Doodle wrote: »
    Any chance of Phoenix?

Have they ever played here?

They didn't for the last album anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Foster the people played last year to a packed tent early in the day...brilliant gig

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Imjustlovely

Would be amazing if all the acts that ye all want would be annouced :) Maccabees , Friendly fires , Justice & Foster the people only wishing now for Daft Punk but probably won't happen though but sure :):)
    I can only hope :D Roll On September can't wait now need the festival season to hurry up I miss my wellies:p and they miss me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I'm hoping that's a mistake -- the EP web site indicates as usual that 13-17 year olds are not admitted (under-12s still admitted free with adults).

Upthread I vociferously defended the attendance of under 12s, but teenagers are a completely different kettle of fish. Young children must stay with their parents at all times. Teenagers will not.

Did you see the tweet I posted yesterday? It can't really be read any other way.
    The website info could well be a copy/paste job from last years site. Ticketmaster states over 18s as well though.
    I don't know, it's a bad mistake to make from the person behind the official EP twitter account if it's not true.

It's a strange one. They obviously had that rule there for a reason, so why change it? Another sign of trying to sell more tickets, I suppose.
    If they stick to under 12s only rule for the family campsite, are they going to force a family with a teenager & a young child to camp in the normal campsites? Or allow 17 year olds in there as long as they are with their parents?

You're right about teenagers not staying with their parents. They'll want to go off and do their own thing for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The official site says over 18s, so unless the rules are being laxed I'd say nothing's changed with that policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 broanna_newsom

someone posted on the ep facebook page asking about that tweet, and ep said that was a mistake and they wouldnt be letting 13-17 year olds in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

In terms of the headliners I think it's a decent lineup (aside from The Killers), apart from that though I think it's very poor, looking forward to seeing the Little Big Tent lineup though! Not really into what I've heard from Orbital lately, hopefully they won't play too much of their new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Mystery solved so. F**k up by the tweeter.
    It was a straight forward question in fairness.

I hope the person that asked finds out before they buy a ticket & turn up at the gates in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Mystery solved so. F**k up by the tweeter.
    It was a straight forward question in fairness.

I hope the person that asked finds out before they buy a ticket & turn up at the gates in September.

I was thinking the same thing! Or anyone else who read/heard about the tweet and bought a ticket.

Feeling better, Poppa Dolla? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Sky viewers can watch the Cure live from Bestival 2011 on Sky arts1 at 10.00pm tonight..

• Advertisement

Hope Miike Snow is announced too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement